Commuter plane crash in Winnipeg?

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the original tony »

:evil:
enough about the ^%&$(# weather, single pilot, caravans, winnipeg.
who gives a &*&^???
one of our own has just passed on. enough. when information is available then fingers can be pointed and the usual bull shit blames can be laid.
a little respect to the family, friends and co workers of this young lady who died doing the same job all of us are here to do.
please, a moment or two of silence would be better than "who did what, and why was she...."

IMHO until it happens to someone you know, rumors are in style.
then they get old in a hurry

edited by me for your viewing pleasure oh moderating one.
next time, moderate some names and guesses at what killed the poor pilot. that may seem to be more fruitful. no soap box here, just a dirty mouthed pilot. sorry if anyone was offended. the stories just got boring a little too quickly for me when i knew this fine lady.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by the original tony on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

It has certainly been a rough year on our profession.

Rest in peace.

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

My condolences to family, friends and others affected by today's tragedy.

Apache

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Original Tony....if you want to show respect, I'd suggest you go back and edit the profanities out of your post. Until then, get off your soap box!

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

I dont want to look like an ass, Im young and inexperienced, I hear this soap box phrase all the time, anyone care to explain what that means?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Sure....it's British....what isn't....and many years ago, people used to use soap boxes to stand up on and make speaches. Now this was may years before even Cat Driver was born! We're talking a LONG time ago. Then, of course, I could be totally full of bull doo doo?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Doc, you are correct, it is a British tradition to stand on soap boxes in Hyde park and give speaches on any subject that comes to mind...

..and yeh it started long before I was born, but of course so did the practice of beheading people in that same general area.....and if you want to go there just get off the underground at Green park and its a short walk from there....

Old Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Flaps30Greenlight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flaps30Greenlight »

My condolences to her Friends and family

cant afford Cookies...
Avro Arrow 206
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Avro Arrow 206 »

I just heard about this now, (10 Pm manitoba time) sad to hear this, may she rest in peace.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

My condolences go to the family and friends of one of our finest.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

You can still go to Hyde Park on Sunday's and hear (or speak) opinions on virtually any topic imaginable.

http://www.travellondon.com/templates/a ... orner.html
Historical Background
Amongst those who have attended meetings there, are the some of the most influential figures in world history like Karl Marx, Fredrick Engels and Lenin. Even Cromwell's corpse was hung up here in a cage for public display, after he had died as a warning to others who might wish to abolish the Monarchy. This was of course in the days before Speaker's Corner when at the same location was "Tyburn", one of the "hanging fields" of London. Other's whose ghosts haunt this corner include William Morris, George
Orwell, the Pankhursts, CLR. James, Benn Tillet, Marcus Garvey, and a star spangled cast of millions more who shall remain unmentioned, excepting the immovable Lord Soper, still speaking at 94. Speaker's Corner has had a more powerful influence than any "university" in the world, because here there are no entry requirements, no rules of intellectual formality and above all no class restrictions. It is as Leslie James the Hyde Park pamphleteer wrote a fitting location to represent "the century of the common man."
Tourists or visitors to such official places of "learning" as Cambridge or Oxford University are not allowed to attend any lecture they like, come and go when they choose, and take part in debate and discussion. It is precisely these characteristics that mark out Speaker's Corner as a strange and exciting place, a place where mankind meets itself in a generally pleasurable atmosphere.
Tens of thousands of people come to Speaker's Corner once or twice a year, thousands more who come 5-10 times a year, and hundreds who come virtually through hell or high water. When you consider that there is nothing to buy here, there is no music, just human interaction without the mediation of machines and without any protection from the weather you begin to get a small glimpse of the significance of this place. Consider for a moment the so called Opinion Polls that the mass media constantly pump out, they take a survey of random samples of certain social groups and claim an accuracy rate, extrapolated from this to the entire country, of + or - 3-4%. But Opinion Polls are static phenomena a snap shot seeking out for example a yes, no, or maybe, answer. The human brain is however not static but undergoing constant change, a person may think one thing, and yet internally have doubts. Speaker's Corner may be seen as a dynamic refection of mass psychology in that you have here people from every walk of life, every class, and almost every country.
There is of course a widespread belief that Speaker's Corner is some kind of "nuthouse", where "cranks" and tourists go. Lenin once related the story of a man who was wildly shaking, seated, his arms were swinging around, the observer thought it was a madman, but upon closer inspection he discovered it was a man sharpening a knife.
Speaker's Corner is perhaps the most dynamic mirror of human consciousness in the world.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Deepest sympathies to the family and friends. :(

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 123.50 »

Umm, hey guys, heard some rumours around the grapevine, at some point taught at Shearwater, NS or had some affiliation with SFC. Please keep in mind this is more than second hand information and not to be entirely relied upon. My condolences to her family.

Peace Brothers and Sisters

//edited by Sulako to remove her name. Not until the authorities release it, please.

giligan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by giligan »

Dude, we all have heard the rumors, we're just holding our tongues. Alot of people knew her. Please edit the name out of respest for the family, at least until its been realeased.
giligan

To most people the sky's the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Rest in Peace.

giligan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by giligan »

Thanks Sulako.

bschalme
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bschalme »

Our local CTV affiliate here in Winnipeg, CKY, announced on today's 6:00 news the name of the pilot who was killed in this crash.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 123.50 »

My apologies for the faux pas... Rest in Peace God's child!

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

I found this...not too sure if the contents of the cargo is true.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/06/D8D2QNPG2.html

Plane Carrying Viruses Crashes in Canada
Oct 06 6:57 PM US/Eastern

WINNIPEG, Manitoba

A cargo plane carrying small amounts of flu virus crashed on railway tracks near Winnipeg's city center Thursday, killing the pilot but missing buildings and vehicles, authorities said.

The research samples of frozen influenza and herpes viruses were destroyed in the crash and ensuing fire along with other freight, Federal Express spokeswoman Karen Cooper said.

She said the Cessna 208 was owned by Morningstar Air Express of Edmonton and was under contract to FedEx.

Morningstar spokesman Don Boettcher didn't immediately identify the woman piloting the aircraft. "She'd been with us for about five years," he said, without providing further details.

The plane took off from the Winnipeg airport en route to Thunder Bay, Ontario, at about 5:45 a.m. and traveled about four miles southeast of the airport before it requested a return, Transportation Safety Board investigator David Ross said.

"The aircraft then descended below radar coverage and contact was lost with the aircraft," Ross said.

"It has crashed on railway tracks and does not appear to have collided with any other objects, houses or cars," police Sgt. Shelly Glover said.

Winnipeg police spokeswoman Carolyn Kwiatek said there was no damage to the surrounding area from the fire. The crash did tie up traffic on nearby streets during the morning rush, but no accidents or injuries resulted.

In its cargo were six vials of virus samples being sent to Thunder Bay for research, Cooper said.

Although the samples were labeled dangerous goods, they weren't considered hazardous at the crash site since all the cargo was destroyed in the blaze, Cooper said.

Police Sgt. Kelly Dennison said weather may have been a factor. Reports suggested light snow and mist in the area, temperatures near the freezing mark, moderate winds and about four miles of visibility.

Ross said the plane probably wasn't carrying a flight data recorder.

Meso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Meso »

I guess they have realeased the name of the pilot. She was a very nice lady with a mild demeanor, always in a good mood. I'm not sure where from originally but, she lived in YFC in the early 90's and worked for a Gov agency I believe. She gave up her job( which she was sick of) and decided to become a pilot, trained at the old YFC flying club where she got her PPL,CPL and muti, she worked very hard and was deternined to make it in this industry, very noble for someone at her age to give up a good job and knowingly enter a crazy profession like this, believe me she was warned and informed many times about the craziness of the industry, but, like I said she was determined to make it happen, and she did, she loved it! Kudos to you for making it happen N.A. We will miss you,and you will always be in our hearts, never forgotten.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

A news article I saw earlier today stated that there was speculation amongst the investigators that she'd turned the aircraft into the railway yard to avoid hitting anyone on the ground. Incredible presence of mind under extreme pressure if that's the case. While it isn't much, her family can take some solace in her sacrifice.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”