Steep turnback fatal for ultralight

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Steep turnback fatal for ultralight

Post by pelmet »

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... q0073.html

Any ultralight guys here. Perhaps they are more concerned about landing straight ahead into the trees as there is less facial protection from branches.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Steep turnback fatal for ultralight

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pmAny ultralight guys here. Perhaps they are more concerned about landing straight ahead into the trees as there is less facial protection from branches.
The average density of trees is still lower than the average density of dirt. Both may be higher than the average density of an ultralight pilot, but the trees would likely cause less damage.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:29 am
pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pmAny ultralight guys here. Perhaps they are more concerned about landing straight ahead into the trees as there is less facial protection from branches.
The average density of trees is still lower than the average density of dirt. Both may be higher than the average density of an ultralight pilot, but the trees would likely cause less damage.
Not if a proper flare and landing can be accomplished on the dirt.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Not that I wish to lay blame, but this was an unqualified, inexperienced instructor, teaching a student pilot, who attempted what appears to have been a 180 degree turn and return, likely less than 200 or 300 feet AGL. It appears to me that without enough airspeed, they stalled in a steep bank, and without enough altitude, they crashed. (Someone training at my soaring club cartwheeled a 2-33, after a rope break at 300' AGL, doing exactly this. It happens.)

Tragic for sure, but likely entirely survivable. May they rest in peace.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:06 pmNot if a proper flare and landing can be accomplished on the dirt.
Agreed. But this was about a high-energy unplanned arrival, not a controlled landing.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirFrame wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:06 pmNot if a proper flare and landing can be accomplished on the dirt.
Agreed. But this was about a high-energy unplanned arrival, not a controlled landing.
Thanks,

Do you fly these sort of ultralights. I was just wondering if pilots in that community in general have a particular aversion to considering a potential somewhat(hopefully) soft landing in trees.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”