Kobe Bryant chopper crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Kobe Bryant chopper crash

Post by pelmet »

Heliian wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:55 am The aircraft was speeding and under power when it impacted the hillside and from all accounts intact. Wreckage positioning and contents scattered around would be normal for such a high energy impact.
Thanks.....is it easy for a helicopter like this to just slow down and crawl ahead at a fairly low speed when the vis is poor?
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Pelmet:

Yes. I would have been flying 40 - 60 knots which allows for a quick stop and/or turnaround in the event of unsavoury conditions ahead...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Schooner69A wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:21 am Pelmet:

Yes. I would have been flying 40 - 60 knots which allows for a quick stop and/or turnaround in the event of unsavoury conditions ahead...
Seems like a logical thing to do when flying in marginal weather, especially with hills around.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

karmutzen wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm but he had an iPad with Foreflight.
Completely useless, probably had a negative effect of making him overconfident in crap weather. Many ipad drivers here have said they'd use it as an alternate att/hsi in IMC, looks like that theory is trash.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I called a friend about where the vertical fin is positioned in the wreckage map. Told that most likely the main rotor chopped it off, but not clear that happened at impact or in flight. As that machine rotates counter clockwise, and if was chopped off, you'd expect to be above the wreckage, but...?

The NTSB woman says that all the parts were found at the site. As they were in this S55 tail rotor incident video, in which the TR is clearly attached and stopped at impact. The fact that all the parts were found at the site doesn't mean they were working.

At least one example of a problem with TR leading to an accident.

http://aerossurance.com/helicopters/s-7 ... lade-loss/

And the S55 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXUZQYFu18

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Heliian commented: "Completely useless, probably had a negative effect of making him overconfident in crap weather. Many ipad drivers here have said they'd use it as an alternate att/hsi in IMC, looks like that theory is trash."

I have an iPad c/w Foreflight. The Foreflight AI/HSI function is an backup, alternate means only. Not as good as your onboard stuff (assuming you have something like an EFIS etc in your instrument panel. I have a Dynon Skyview installed)

The synthetic vision with Skyview is a thing of beauty - makes wandering around the mountains here in the interior of BC a snap.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Are any pilots really flying their I-pads? That's crazy..
cncpc wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm I called a friend about where the vertical fin is positioned in the wreckage map. Told that most likely the main rotor chopped it off, but not clear that happened at impact or in flight. As that machine rotates counter clockwise, and if was chopped off, you'd expect to be above the wreckage, but...?

The NTSB woman says that all the parts were found at the site. As they were in this S55 tail rotor incident video, in which the TR is clearly attached and stopped at impact. The fact that all the parts were found at the site doesn't mean they were working.

And the S55 video.

Absolutely cncpc.

Focus has been on pilot induced accident in bad weather. But not much talk of mechanical issues... hydraulic failure? servo malfunction? gearbox? TR?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

altiplano wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm Are any pilots really flying their I-pads? That's crazy..
cncpc wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm I called a friend about where the vertical fin is positioned in the wreckage map. Told that most likely the main rotor chopped it off, but not clear that happened at impact or in flight. As that machine rotates counter clockwise, and if was chopped off, you'd expect to be above the wreckage, but...?

And the S55 video.

Absolutely cncpc.

Focus has been on pilot induced accident in bad weather. But not much talk of mechanical issues... hydraulic failure? servo malfunction? gearbox? TR?
That's sort of my point, and that we are affecting a man's reputation on a whole lot of presumptions about what happened. As I've been in a spot at least once where I was sure we were done, and managed to pull out of it. Literally. We'd have been scattered all over a mountain south of Prince George and people would have asked what the hell happened to us, and without knowing, people would have said he was an experienced pilot, he'd just been cleared for the approach, and "pilot error".

The guy I called is ex Canadian investigator. Hundreds of investigation. I brought up the odd location of the fin/tail rotor pylon and he said that, yes, he had noticed that too. I've said what he said at the top of my post, but it stood out to me that what he saw was not deterministic of when and why the rotor chopped the fin off.

There is an NTSB drone video where the drone comes down to frame that aft fuselage section. Sure, it looks like the back bit was chopped off, and I don't dispute that it was. But if anyone takes the time you can stop the frame and you'll see the shaft back to the chop is still perfectly in its mounts right back to where it seems the "chop" was. It's right at the part of the shaft at the U-joint where the shaft turns upward. If you go back up the horizontal part, it goes into the gearbox or whatever thing transfers power to the TR. Above the metal, and intact, is a portion that has a brown staining. It may seem logical to say that is from the post crash fire, but it is possibly more consistent with being heated prior to the fire. It is at the aftmost part of the destruction, but not destroyed itself. Obviously heat was at the edge of where the metal ends, and those areas do not display that type of staining, or any staining.

When it just doesn't make sense a guy with this skill and experience would suddenly turn and dive into the ground when he could at least just gone on to Camarillo and shot the approach. There is no connection with the purpose of the flight and that spot. But, some seizure in the power train, slowing rotor speed, chip lights coming on, no choice but to put the lever down and maybe even head for what ground he could see below him.

There is a wonderful Irish expression that reflects how we see ourselves together. If you've ever been in a crowded Irish pub, you'll get the meaning. It is "Sure, he( or she) is one of ourselves, now, isn't he". This man was one of ourselves, we owe it to ourselves to remember that and to give him the same courtesy we would hope to get if we were ever in the same place.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Well said.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

We all have our theories, I'm leaning towards the most obvious cause. Sure, some catastrophic failure of some critical component could have happened just as he was entering the hills after fog ducking around in marginal weather but VFR into IMC is my bet.

There is nothing left of that helicopter, the blades and rotor head are scattered everywhere, speed was high and the rotors were turning, they could even have over/under sped the rotor before impact.

Just from the publicly available images there is no way to tell the exact direction, speed or attitude. The NTSB will figure it out.

The high profile nature of the crash is undoubtedly hurting the helicopter industry, we need to understand the cause to prevent it from happening again and to restore faith in traveling by air.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

You don’t fly with an iPad? You’re crazy. iPad shows you where you are on a map presentation. Far more useful than those VOR/DME/ADF that I haven’t used since 1987.

I’d be surprised if the aircraft and on-board equipment was any factor at all in this accident. The S76B has a redundant autopilot system, double redundant AHRS (with the standby), power to spare with two oversized PT6 engines. Push one button and you’re climbing 750 fpm wings level, from there you can set anything you want.

What to learn from this? Don’t hero worship. Bryant was retired, no longer a sports entertainment factor. Sounds like the pilot got a little too invested in somebody else’s life. Rich people need to learn to hire pilots that can say no, instead of ones that always say yes.

Yes, I fly a B.
BE38B4FB-972A-467B-A82F-5901311A913C.jpeg
BE38B4FB-972A-467B-A82F-5901311A913C.jpeg (126.86 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

karmutzen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:10 pm You don’t fly with an iPad? You’re crazy. iPad shows you where you are on a map presentation. Far more useful than those VOR/DME/ADF that I haven’t used since 1987.

I’d be surprised if the aircraft and on-board equipment was any factor at all in this accident. The S76B has a redundant autopilot system, double redundant AHRS (with the standby), power to spare with two oversized PT6 engines. Push one button and you’re climbing 750 fpm wings level, from there you can set anything you want.

What to learn from this? Don’t hero worship. Bryant was retired, no longer a sports entertainment factor. Sounds like the pilot got a little too invested in somebody else’s life. Rich people need to learn to hire pilots that can say no, instead of ones that always say yes.

Yes, I fly a B.

BE38B4FB-972A-467B-A82F-5901311A913C.jpeg
Ok, so he pushes the button. Explains how he got from the highway to possibly above the top of the fog deck. Then what happens?

Beautiful photo. Great gear.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

If you've got the time, an excellent discussion... (You'll probably have to drag the scroll thingy back to the start...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymcG-Y ... ploademail

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

karmutzen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:10 pm You don’t fly with an iPad? You’re crazy. iPad shows you where you are on a map presentation. Far more useful than those VOR/DME/ADF that I haven’t used since 1987.

Yes, I fly a B.
Your b model sounds like it's equipped for ifr, this one was no longer a functioning ifr platform, the company wasn't certified for ifr and the pilot wasn't current.
Schooner69A wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 pm If you've got the time, an excellent discussion... (You'll probably have to drag the scroll thingy back to the start...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ymcG-Y ... ploademail
Gross.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

We know the company was VFR only. Where does it say the Helo no longer had a functioning IFR platform and that the pilot was unable to fly IFR ?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcVK7uYJzO8

Re-enactment with ATC feed:

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

MUSKEG wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:44 am We know the company was VFR only. Where does it say the Helo no longer had a functioning IFR platform and that the pilot was unable to fly IFR ?
From my experience, VFR operators won't waste a single penny on anything they don't need. This includes equipment and training.

I'm not even sure if they had to run with an MEL, they could just be running with bare legal minimum for VFR flight.

atc_is_god
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atc_is_god »

This whole thing would have been avoided if he hadn't been trying to fly visually while in IMC. Any pilot knows that trying to transition back and forth from visual to instruments at low level is asking for disaster. As demonstrated here.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"This whole thing would have been avoided if he hadn't been trying to fly visually while in IMC"

Except for the period just before the accident, he was flying IAW VFR regulations. Maybe I should have first asked: what is your definition of IMC?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”