Any tips from airline pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kyleee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any tips from airline pilots?

Post by kyleee »

I was wondering if there were already airline pilots here willing to share how they got their place.. Starting from getting their PPL and CPL (was it done privately or went to flight schools [Confed, Sault, BCIT, Seneca, MRU, etc] how they built up their hours, which airline they first worked for and what did they find most hard to do during the process. Or please share whichever route you went to, or you wish you went to, and/or you think is the best route to go to.

There are many opinions on which but most of them are from students who are still finishing their licenses. I'd really like to hear from someone who's already experienced. Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Any tips from airline pilots?

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Where is Keith when you need him? Mentorship is his thing isn’t it?

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:37 pm Where is Keith when you need him? Mentorship is his thing isn’t it?
The last time I saw him, he was still at Jazz. He was walking around the Montreal crew, with a bluetooth ear piece on, yapping to some schlep. One would assume that he's providing 24/7/365 mentorship services.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Got my license through a college program that no longer exists. I graduated with a certificate, 200 hours, and a CPL and Multi-IFR.

Took a few years off to work and enjoy my newfound freedom. Was somewhat trying to find a job, but didn't put 100% in. Finally decided to instruct and floated around a few schools until I had a gentlemen's agreement of a job after completing my instructor rating.

Instructed at that school for three months, then moved to another school closer to home. Worked there for a year and moved with my girlfriend to another city. Getting another instructor job with the experience was very easy and painless. Worked at the third place for a year and got hired on to a regional in Toronto about six months ago.

In reality, it's the first job that's the hardest. Getting the first 705 job also had some difficulty, but it really was more of a grind than a difficulty.

Best of luck and if you want more details, you can PM me.

tigerCT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tigerCT »

Did all my training at Harvs Air in Steinbach. PPL in 2013, time building for 3 years on a friendly family members airplane. CPL in 2016, instructor rating 2018, worked at Harvs for 1 year and 7 months, did lots of long days, close to 1000 hours per year flying. Flew Citabria, Piper, 152, 172, Diamond, got my Multi-IFR and started instructing on the Travel Air for 6 months. Got close to 300 MPIC before getting hired at a company in Winnipeg with close to 2000 hours.
In my opinion it was a great way to go, as with instructing I learned a lot, so it helped me with initial training at the airline, knowledge wise.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Any current airline pilot’s trip to where they are today will have, for better or worse, been different from what you will do. This is okay. Opportunities change over time, do what’s best for yourself at any given time but don’t forget to have a life along the way.

Return to “Flight Training”