2020 Hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 2020 Hiring

Post by DaveP »

moe wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:42 pm Dave do you see and backfilling of CA spots in YVR for 2020?
Hi
Good Question! I think (and this is only me) not based on any other internal knowledge - at some point they have to backfill in order to maintain the 737 base size. (Widebody growth will be the catalyst) go take a look at the standing bid - examine all the 787 bids and their current base - many are YVR skippers. I don’t see the bases shrinking especially in YVR - The same goes for Calgary. I think the biggest unknown is where the flying hours will grow and at some point I’m sure you will see us step off the continent westbound with the big machines. Again, this is just my guess.
Dave
---------- ADS -----------

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

✅

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

lostaviator wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:57 am
Checklist wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Numbers released for 2020 had 100+ upgrades and those numbers probably don’t account for the junior captains leaving for AC. Either way it’s going to be difficult to attract/retain quality OTS candidates.
An one-off year probably won’t make much of difference with those kind of numbers long term. This year doesn’t seem to be shaping up to expectations from what I heard. Next bid is projecting 14 upgrades?

WJ vs AC isn’t even a competition anymore.
Those 14 are for April. Remember, bids are being done monthly now vs quarterly. I've deleted the emails, but I think there have been 10-14 per month so far this year (January - March). So they are trending a little higher than forecast for upgrades.
Correct, 11 in Jan, 13 in Feb and 10 in March....and now 14 in April..

DysonYZF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DysonYZF »

Dave, are you able to comment on February initial class size/dates? Calls going out for those yet?

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

how does the Max fit into this as well...

The force will be with you, always
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

DysonYZF wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 pm Dave, are you able to comment on February initial class size/dates? Calls going out for those yet?
Hi!

Feb 3 and Feb 17 are the next courses - both are 16

Feb 3 is full. Calls going out for the 17th

Cheers
Dave

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

Good day,

Just wondering if anyone has insight on upcoming March courses... Thanks

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi!
3 courses in March. Calls are going out all the time as we try and give as much notice as possible - but sometimes a reference or background check holds us up a little.

Don’t be shy to reach out to the recruitment team if you have any questions but typically it takes 3 weeks before you hear any news from the team.
Cheers
Dave

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

Great, thank you for the update Dave

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

The upgrade times peaked at 9.5 years and are back down to 7.5 years or so I'm hearing from recent upgrades. Going forward who knows, too many variables (economy, Onex, retirements, Delta JV).
I think some on here need to focus more on lifestyle. Im hearing from junior pilots here they are not applying to AC because of the socialized bidding. Its the one perk we have over AC (not rouge). AC beats us on every other metric. Pilots with young families are enjoying the scheduling we offer, hopefully we don't lose that too down the road.
WJ has changed, but is still a great gig, it really is. It has its growing pains, but overall IMHO i think things are going to improve over time.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

KAG wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 am I think some on here need to focus more on lifestyle. Im hearing from junior pilots here they are not applying to AC because of the socialized bidding. Its the one perk we have over AC (not rouge). AC beats us on every other metric. Pilots with young families are enjoying the scheduling we offer, hopefully we don't lose that too down the road.
What sort of schedule is there on offer?

J-Y-M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Y-M »

DaveP wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:16 pm Hi!
3 courses in March. Calls are going out all the time as we try and give as much notice as possible - but sometimes a reference or background check holds us up a little.

Don’t be shy to reach out to the recruitment team if you have any questions but typically it takes 3 weeks before you hear any news from the team.
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
Do you have an email where I can send my resume to mainline. The website link is not there anymore
Thank you
J

J-Y-M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Y-M »

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
do you have an email or direct fax for recruiting? Appreciate your help?
J

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

calm down

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

J-Y-M wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave!
Do you have an email where I can send my resume to mainline. The website link is not there anymore
Thank you
J
https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... kk6L7w8%3d
Hi There,
The link is showing open - let me know if you are still having issues.
Cheers
Dave

J-Y-M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Y-M »

DaveP wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave!
Thank you
J
Hi There,
Cheers
Dave

Thanks...its active now
thank you
J

J-Y-M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Y-M »

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave!
Thank you
J
Hi There,
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
I still have issues. it disappeared again .
Any Help would be great.
J

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

J-Y-M wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Dave!
Thank you
J
Hi There,
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
Any Help would be great.
J
https://careers.aircanada.com/

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Dave!
Thank you
J
Hi There,
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
Any Help would be great.
J
Hi J

It’s been down the last day or so - it will be back up within the next couple hours I’m told. The recruiters simply renew the run and had the posting down.

As for course updates - the first course in March (2nd) is full (16 is the course size), March 16 (16 is the course size) has a couple spots left and March 30 is just starting to be filled (again 16).

Interviews are typically Tuesday to Thursday. There is also a new posting coming up for military helicopter pilots who wish to transition to the fixed wing world giving them credit and an opportunity to apply to Encore with an IATra and MIFR along with specific TT and helo command time. This posting will also be going up.

Cheers
Dave

J-Y-M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Y-M »

DaveP wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi There,
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave!
Any Help would be great.
J
Hi J

It’s been down the last day or so - it will be back up within the next couple hours I’m told. The recruiters simply renew the run and had the posting down.

As for course updates - the first course in March (2nd) is full (16 is the course size), March 16 (16 is the course size) has a couple spots left and March 30 is just starting to be filled (again 16).

Interviews are typically Tuesday to Thursday. There is also a new posting coming up for military helicopter pilots who wish to transition to the fixed wing world giving them credit and an opportunity to apply to Encore with an IATra and MIFR along with specific TT and helo command time. This posting will also be going up.

Cheers
Dave
Thank you Dave

J

Return to “WestJet”