Calgary Schools?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirPocket
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary Flight Training Centre

Post by AirPocket »

Yes, CFTC is the more expensive school, but it has it's advantages. The instruction there is very well done, and the instructors go out of theie way to make you feel comfortable.
People should try to do a bit more research before slamming a school down. Remember, negative information travels faster than positive information!
---------- ADS -----------

Chaffey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chaffey »

what are the websites for these schools..
i just moved to calgary and I'm glad someone started this forum

chaffey

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

You can find Morgan Air where I am doing my instructor raiting at http://morganair.ca/

aero220
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by aero220 »

other training sites;

Springbank Air Training College; http://www.springbankair.com (soon to change)

Calgary Flight Training Center; http://www.calgaryflight.com

Calgary Flying club; http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com

Fly Right; http://www.flyright.ca (not much here though)

Springbank Aero; http://www.springbankaero.com (not multi training)

Chaffey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chaffey »

I have narrowed my choices for taking my instructor rating down to 3 choices. Calgary flying club, Springbank Air Training College and Fly Right... these are not in any order of my preference, however I have some doubts about about 1.

Any information will help. what is the courses like, rental flexibility, personalities... etc.

aero220
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by aero220 »

Well... Your choice may not be any of them.

The CFI of the calgary flying club is the only class 1 they have and good luck in getting him to fly with a student who doesnt have their own multi-engne aircraft. Call them and ask them about instructor ratings. They do have a contract class 1 who come in during the summer for instructor ratings but it is only in the summer. If you choose to wait a rating with him is a fairly good option.

As far as I know, right now at Springbank air training college there are only class 2's. Their class 1 has left on maturnity leave and will not be back untill late January at the earliest. again if you wanted to wait, she offers a very good rating.

Last of all is Fly Right; If you can take alot of punishment and realy know your stuff, this would be a great choice. As far as I know they usually try to hire their grads after they finish a rating and are maybe even looking right now for someone to start. No wait here and a possible job afterward but I would like to stress again you will have to work hard but after such thorough training you will find the flight test no problem.

Feel free to PM after you do some more research and I will give more information on things like personality, aircraft availability, and other things you should know before making a final choice.

Pitts99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pitts99 »

If you want to learn a lot and be top notch on your IFR, my advise is Fly Right. The CFI and only instructor teaching on the twin has a lot of experience and knowledge. She's really demanding and you must study well, do things exactly like she tell you and be ready to take critisism about your way of flying. With here you will know exactly what is about to fly IFR, she's direct and sometime unpleasant, but the good news is that you will become a better pilot. You will learn like anywere else....

Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jeremy »

sometimes unpleasant? That's certainly wording it lightly wouldn't you say?!

If you can tolerate being degraded, yelled at and/or patronized in front of students, and don't mind a boss with an 'I'm always right' God complex, then you should be fine. Track record has a lot to say here. Any small school going through 25 instructors in the past 4-ish years speaks volumes. Many students won't fly with the CFI; one was even reduced to tears because of how she was treated in the a/c!
Her business partner is a good man. I have a lot of respect for him.

On the flip side, you will fly a bunch during the summer, less of course in the winter. At least thats how it used to be.
Just check your diginity at the door.

If your honestly thinking about being a F.R. customer (read "a paying student") ask around. A spade is a spade.
RJ

aero220
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by aero220 »

What you will face when you get in the industry as a low time pilot is alot of more than "unpleasant" treatment. If you are used to that type of training, you will know how to deal with it and will advance faster than others. If you want warm fuzzy treatment or are just training for fun, do not go there. If you are a dedicated pilot hoping your future hold a job flying, why not go to someplace that will train you in the same way you will find in the industry.

Other schools may treat you well but that is because you are a customer and they want your money. When you get out there and a company is trying to get you a PPC on a King air or an aircraft that is costing them alot to train you in, they are not going to be that nice with the training and are going to demand the same perfection that She will demand. get that perfection now and you will go farther in the industry.

swords2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by swords2 »

Why not just try and find a school that offers the same standard of training without the degrading treatment. They are also out there. She may be a great pilot, but theres a big difference between a great pilot and a great Instructor.

Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jeremy »

Second that Sword2!

aero220 there is some truth to your words. However, this is her treatment for anybody. Period. I have been far from low time for years and her treatment was no different to the fresh class 4's. The only difference is that new class 4's will tolerate the garbage treatment to get that first job. With experience comes enough self respect to get out of a bad scene before it gets worse.

RJ

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

I did some recurrency training with her last year and found her to be; at all times, pleasant, knowledgable, and helpful. At no time did I experience anything like what has been described here. My personal thought on the subject, seconded by a friend who also did some training with her; if you come to her with an attitude, be prepared to pay for it. If you come to learn, you'll have no problems.

Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jeremy »

Were you a customer or a instructor-student? I hope that means she has changed how she interacts with people.

Or maybe it was your stunning good looks and boyish charm :lol:

Good to hear that it isn't always the case.
RJ

Chaffey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chaffey »

I went flying with her in their twin Seminole. I didn't know they made turbo Seminoles, but she said this one was. She was very nice to me.
Sometimes people have bad experience. I've heard good things about fly right from a flight school near red deer. I appreciate the info guys, but in every club, someone has a bad experience.

Chaffey

D5GRVTY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D5GRVTY »

Re: Springbank Air Training College

Our current class 1 is on mat leave, however we do have another class 1 ready right away, and if you can wait a month our regular instructor will be ready to start the ground school portion in December and start flight training in January.

Give us a call if you have any other questions.

AirPocket
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AirPocket »

If you're looking for somewhere to go right away, Calgary Flight Training Centre has 2 class 1 instructors. Both have an excellent flight test record and are willing to accomodate in any way they can.

The lady at Springbank Areo is also very good, but she's on mat leave for a while.

All of the info I've been told about Fly Right is not good. She's very demanding and has no problem yelling. :twisted:

reunionnais97432
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by reunionnais97432 »

hello,
I would like to know if anyone has feedbacks or information about SKYWINGS AVIATION ACADEMY located on the RED DEER regional airport midway between Edomoton and Calgary ????
thanks for your help

Chaffey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chaffey »

Gee, I wonder if some people on this forum are workers of these flight schools? Great advertising.

anyways, I've heard good things about skywings, never been there, but I've only heard good things about them so far..

rule911
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rule911 »

Good day... Can I also suggest you look at Mount Royal. I've been working there for the last 2 years. The whole staff (except 1 instructor) is a class 1. All the instructors there are their to teach, not build hours. We all have an average of 3000 hours total and some of us even have some non-instructing experience. Just my 2 cents... We've recently started doing IF renews and we've always done Class 4's. Cheers!

mackenzie`s dad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mackenzie`s dad »

Just want to add my 2 cents........attempted to do an instructor rating with Fly Right a couple of years ago. I would never go back. CFI may know her stuff but should not be in the business of teaching people, and thats putting it very lightly. As for an instrument renewal if you have any friends out west I would strongly recommend Pro IFR out of YVR....hands down the best in the industry in my opinion.

I`m just serious

Return to “Flight Training”