Reviews? Moncton or Stratford or Brantford

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

T&Tflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reviews? Moncton or Stratford or Brantford

Post by T&Tflyer »

Hello Members,
I am looking for reviews so that I can decide which of these are better for my flight training(PPL,CPL,Multi/IFR) as an international student.
Moncton Flight College
Brantford Flight Centre
Stratford Air services

any pros and cons of these? Closer to Toronto is a more suitable location for me but i am open to the other areas also.
much thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Reviews? Moncton or Stratford or Brantford

Post by Found »

Stratford Air Services is a smaller school and was very good to me. Other people there seem to have no complaints. Availability of instructors and planes was never a concern like other schools.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Another vote for Stratford. Andy runs a good school and I had a great experience there, years ago. Nice setting and atmosphere, practice area is close by and you’ll enjoy flying outside of the GTA.

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetking »

Does Stratford offer any diploma or certificate or something?
And yes how much do they charge to train students there? I mean approximate CPL costs without multi or IFR

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Found wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:54 am Availability of instructors and planes was never a concern like other schools.
These days that should be your #1 factor in your decision.

Lots of schools taking students and scheduling the to fly 1x per week.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I also endorse Stratford Air Services. Another benefit is flying out of an uncontrolled airport you are quickly in the air and focusing on the task at hand. Larger airports (London & Kitchener) are quite nearby for when you want to practice something in a controlled environment.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

Stratford’s hourly rate is lower than anyone else in the area. There fees are on the website for instructor and airplanes. The approximate costs depend on how often you fly, how prepared you are for the days lesson, and how fast you pick it up.

T&Tflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T&Tflyer »

indieadventurer wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:42 am Another vote for Stratford. Andy runs a good school and I had a great experience there, years ago. Nice setting and atmosphere, practice area is close by and you’ll enjoy flying outside of the GTA.
Thanks for the info. Did you have any issues with aircraft scheduling? Any time frame for 0-CPL +multi/IFR? I know it depends on the individual but can there be a benchmark?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

You can get everything done in 12 months if you work at it and weather cooperates.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

indieadventurer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:44 pm You can get everything done in 12 months if you work at it and weather cooperates.
If you work full time the weather the last few months has been hell

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Honestly expect that it'll take two years to do everything. Availability of planes and instructors and planes is by far the biggest problem everywhere. I didn't train at Stratford, I trained at Waterloo-Wellington, but I did my CPL flight test with Andy at Stratford. He's a great instructor and a really funny guy if you like a relaxed atmosphere to learn in.

Stratford is a great little airport and as others have said the training area is really close (just look up). There's a bunch of nearby airports for variety in your training, Kitchener, London, Wiarton, Goderich, and Woodstock for soft-field work.

Return to “Flight Training”