New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New hire bids

Post by rudder »

There are 122 unfilled CRJ FO vacancies. Effective dates are mostly anticipated in the second half of 2020. Therefore there will be opportunities going forward for some new-hires on some initial courses at Jazz to bid for the CRJ.

Timing is everything. Same at AC.
---------- ADS -----------

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm
Techno wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am Anyone know what the newest class's slots were?
GGN pilots took CA and FO RJ at various bases
OTS: 2x Q400 YYC, 4x DH8 YYC
No YVR positions offered?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

link821 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:45 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm
Techno wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am Anyone know what the newest class's slots were?
OTS: 2x Q400 YYC, 4x DH8 YYC
No YVR positions offered?
OTS:
2x Q400 YYC
4x DH8 YYC

Flightnerd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightnerd »

New hire and looking for information about the bid process in groundschool.

How does it work? Do you know a little ahead of time what the choices will be?
Do you have time to make a educated choice? Where could you find out if the plane you chose is even at a different base if you are planning on transferring.

I understand that basic idea of what the selection is like. Also if you get YVR is there time in the training schedule to go look for a place to live?

A

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Flightnerd wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm New hire and looking for information about the bid process in groundschool.

Do you have time to make a educated choice? Where could you find out if the plane you chose is even at a different base if you are planning on transferring.

I understand that basic idea of what the selection is like. Also if you get YVR is there time in the training schedule to go look for a place to live?

A

Hey,
On day 1 of GS they will post the positions and bases available. On day two you’ll drawn numbers for your seniority and choose type/base from what’s available. As for time to find a place to live it’s tricky. They’ll give you time to move (days off) but you’ve got to multi task a little. If you’re DH8 or Q you could be doing training in YVR which means you could be looking at the same time.
My advice, choose a base over a plane if you can. Where you live is far more important to what you fly. You can always change planes later.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:34 am
Flightnerd wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm New hire and looking for information about the bid process in groundschool.

A

Hey,
On day 1 of GS they will post the positions and bases available. On day two you’ll drawn numbers for your seniority and choose type/base from what’s available. As for time to find a place to live it’s tricky. They’ll give you time to move (days off) but you’ve got to multi task a little. If you’re DH8 or Q you could be doing training in YVR which means you could be looking at the same time.
My advice, choose a base over a plane if you can. Where you live is far more important to what you fly. You can always change planes later.
Remember your froze on type for 4 years so if your hoping to move to another base you have to be on a type that’s at that base. Right now all bases have all 3 types (RJ, D8, Q) except YVR which has no D8

windows94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by windows94 »

YYZ Q is very senior. You probably can't hold it for at least one year.

Flightnerd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightnerd »

Thanks for the help, also I was told ALPA members get a preferential choice as well. Or at least we might move up a little (depending on the make up of the GS) but do I need to do anything before hand in that respect. Is there a hold over time from when you leave one job for Jazz? It’s only going to be a couple days for me.

Techno
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Techno »

Flightnerd wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:22 pm Thanks for the help, also I was told ALPA members get a preferential choice as well. Or at least we might move up a little (depending on the make up of the GS) but do I need to do anything before hand in that respect. Is there a hold over time from when you leave one job for Jazz? It’s only going to be a couple days for me.
It's based on your date of joining ALPA. Whoever joined the earliest gets to pick first. This can certainly make a huge difference on getting what you want vs getting whats left.

Flightnerd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightnerd »

Techno wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 pm
Flightnerd wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:22 pm Thanks for the help, also I was told ALPA members get a preferential choice as well. Or at least we might move up a little (depending on the make up of the GS) but do I need to do anything before hand in that respect. Is there a hold over time from when you leave one job for Jazz? It’s only going to be a couple days for me.
It's based on your date of joining ALPA. Whoever joined the earliest gets to pick first. This can certainly make a huge difference on getting what you want vs getting whats left.
Is there anything I have to do ahead of time? Or do I just make sure I have my ALPA number with me for the first couple days of ground school?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Flightnerd wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:51 am
Techno wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 pm
Is there anything I have to do ahead of time? Or do I just make sure I have my ALPA number with me for the first couple days of ground school?
Hey, welcome to Jazz, I don’t know the answer but I assume they know who is coming from an ALPA carrier. Being said, I would just ask on day one

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

What’s the bids for march 2nd GS ?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Caterpillar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:57 pm What’s the bids for march 2nd GS ?
The 2 OTS: YYZ DH8
The last of the GGN pilots: all RJ at various bases

GS from now on are all OTS
20+ in the next two classes (16 & 30)

M12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M12 »

Any insight of what will be available (base and type) for the 16th and 30th? Thanks

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

M12 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 pm Any insight of what will be available (base and type) for the 16th and 30th? Thanks
The company only chooses what will be available right before you start, not even ALPA knows what is coming up in the next GS. Its always a crap shoot, so just cross your fingers and have many contingencies.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

If big red stops hiring these might be the last groundschools for a while. Only a handful of retirements at Jazz this year.

Let’s Go Brandon
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:18 pm If big red stops hiring these might be the last groundschools for a while. Only a handful of retirements at Jazz this year.
Just going to have to wait and see what their April bid shows. Lots of rumours flying around, but will have to wait and see. AC retirements are still happening at a high rate, so they will at least need to hire for attrition. Lots of things happening in the world so just going to have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

My guess it it will be status quo.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Anyone care to guess that, if there ends up being a hiring freeze at AC soon, will Jazz still continue to hire to at least fill in the vacancies from the January bid ?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

dhc# wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm Anyone care to guess that, if there ends up being a hiring freeze at AC soon, will Jazz still continue to hire to at least fill in the vacancies from the January bid ?
Sadly the vacancies in the JAN bid are because of flow to AC. They have a guesstimate of how many Jazz pilots will need to flow to AC (500+ over the next year+). If AC stops hiring, likely Jazz will slow or stop GS's and there may be a new bid or they will hold current baselines until the Aug bid. Likely ALPA would hopefully force them to hold another equipment bid earlier...but likely would also mean quite a few people not upgrading as planned.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”