Bearskin Crash — FEB 25, 2020 — Dryden, ON

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bearskin Crash — FEB 25, 2020 — Dryden, ON

Post by Dronepiper »

:?: https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/ ... en-2116317

Any word on who was involved? Skycare? Bearskin?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Dronepiper on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opinionated
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Plane Crash Dryden, ON — FEB 25, 2020

Post by opinionated »

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

One pax is in hospital.
A good family friend was on that aircraft and as can imagine is quite shaken up. Sounds like they hit a snow bank on departure.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:41 pm Sounds like they hit a snow bank on departure.
So they ran it off the side or the end of the runway, then?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Bearskin Crash — FEB 25, 2020 — Dryden, ON

Post by bobcaygeon »

Off the side, barely outside the lights, couldn’t have been going very fast. “Crash” is a big overstatement. They towed it out of the snowbank once they had a towbar I’ve been told. Runway was closed for 3 hrs.

Passenger released from hospital a couple hrs later, got a few stitches I heard.

opinionated
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by opinionated »

"the plane was travelling down the runway when the pilot reported he had 'no steering and no brakes.' [...] the plane then skidded into a snowbank and the propeller pierced through the plane’s fuselage"

https://www.country1053.ca/2020/02/24/p ... cNJn4ldMxA

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

NWS problem on a Metro took them off the side?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

That wouldn't explain the lack of brakes though. Realistically the nosewheel steering system and brake system is completely separate, although stranger things have happened.

Then again, just the brakes wouldn't be enough to overwrite a faulty nose wheel steering, which might give the illusion of non operational brakes. And if things happen that quickly, you might not have enough time to play with reverse either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

digits_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 am That wouldn't explain the lack of brakes though. Realistically the nosewheel steering system and brake system is completely separate, although stranger things have happened.

Then again, just the brakes wouldn't be enough to overwrite a faulty nose wheel steering, which might give the illusion of non operational brakes. And if things happen that quickly, you might not have enough time to play with reverse either.
Been a while but I seem remember the nose wheel goes “shopping cart” if it dies? Brakes and throttle should have kept her straight. As I say, it’s been a while. Bearskin have tillers, or rudder steering?
The chap who was hospitalized had cuts on his hands from the prop. He’s a lucky guy. Did the gear collapse? Can’t see the snow bank taking out a prop. Could have been far worse.
Cheers
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Been a while but I seem remember the nose wheel goes “shopping cart” if it dies? Brakes and throttle should have kept her straight. As I say, it’s been a while. Bearskin have tillers, or rudder steering?
The chap who was hospitalized had cuts on his hands from the prop. He’s a lucky guy. Did the gear collapse? Can’t see the snow bank taking out a prop. Could have been far worse.
Cheers
Illya
Yes the nosewheel goes shopping cart. You can easily steer and park the plane with differential brakes and power.

Bearskins planes are likely rudder steering. I think there are a couple metros that came with a tiller but it was a very very rare option.

As for the prop, I'm pretty sure bearskin and perimeter both use composite props so shatter instead of bend.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

digits_ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 am That wouldn't explain the lack of brakes though. Realistically the nosewheel steering system and brake system is completely separate, although stranger things have happened.

Cheers
Illya
There are different fail modes. The most dangerous one and most common one -although still rare-, is where one of the valves fail. You get in a situation where the nosewheel steering has pressure but is uncontrolled, so the wheel takes a random position and stays there.

I believe Bearskin has rudder steering.

I don't know any further details about the incident.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Cheers
Illya
There are different fail modes. The most dangerous one and most common one -although still rare-, is where one of the valves fail. You get in a situation where the nosewheel steering has pressure but is uncontrolled, so the wheel takes a random position and stays there.
That was my first thought too.. This failure only occurs on the Metro III as far as I know, I don’t know which reg was involved..

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Cheers
Illya
With NWS off, it goes shopping cart. No Tiller, rudder input. It can fail (flashing green NOSE STEERING on the III) which is an un-commanded fault (NWS is doing something the rudder input didn't command) On takeoff, when speed levers go high, it disconnects the NWS. There's a thumb button on the power levers to engage the nose steering for the takeoff roll, to be disconnected by 60 knots (I always did 40 since there's rudder authority and if it did @#$! off, 40 was slow enough to keep control. Above 60 with it engaged is very sensitive and not ideal. The gear didn't collapse, the props only have about 8-10" clearance and the MT wooden props disintegrate. This was a Metro 23, so the Amber Nose Steer Fail would illuminate if it failed which would be corrected by disengaging it. That's all I got.

I guess I should write something here.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:41 pm One pax is in hospital.
A good family friend was on that aircraft and as can imagine is quite shaken up. Sounds like they hit a snow bank on departure.
C-GJVB, a Fairchild SA227-DC operated by Perimeter Aviation as flight Bearskin Airlines 344, was
conducting a VFR flight from Dryden Regional (CYHD), ON to Sioux Lookout (CYXL), ON with 2
crew members and 6 passengers on board. As C-GJVB started the takeoff roll on Runway 12, the
aircraft directional control was lost and the aircraft exited the right side of the runway. The
propellers subsequently contacted a snow bank and broke apart. Parts of the broken propellers
penetrated the fuselage, injuring 1 passenger. The aircraft was substantially damaged.

Once again, why I prefer not to sit in a row near the propeller.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

bobcaygeon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:05 am Off the side, barely outside the lights, couldn’t have been going very fast. “Crash” is a big overstatement. They towed it out of the snowbank once they had a towbar I’ve been told. Runway was closed for 3 hrs.

Passenger released from hospital a couple hrs later, got a few stitches I heard.
Crash is not the correct term, but since someone was injured I believe the term "accident" applies.
An aviation accident is an occurrence resulting directly from the operation of an aircraft in which

a person is killed or sustains a serious injury as a result of
being on board the aircraft,
coming into direct contact with any part of the aircraft, including parts that have become detached from the aircraft, or...

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Thanks Pelmet.
After this incident I subscribed to the CADOR so I could keep up on the most recent info and pass it on to our friends.
pelmet wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:27 pm
flyinhigh wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:41 pm One pax is in hospital.
C-GJVB, a Fairchild SA227-DC operated by Perimeter Aviation as flight Bearskin Airlines 344, was
conducting a VFR flight from Dryden Regional (CYHD), ON to Sioux Lookout (CYXL), ON with 2
crew members and 6 passengers on board. As C-GJVB started the takeoff roll on Runway 12, the
aircraft directional control was lost and the aircraft exited the right side of the runway. The
propellers subsequently contacted a snow bank and broke apart. Parts of the broken propellers
penetrated the fuselage, injuring 1 passenger. The aircraft was substantially damaged.

Once again, why I prefer not to sit in a row near the propeller.

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

Not much left of the composite MT prop

https://www.salvagesale.com/for-sale/Ai ... pnLink=yes

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

CADOR says it was not mechanical.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

No problem with the nose wheel steering.

Right engine start locks not disengaged. :oops: Then no one looking at the torque as the power was pushed up for takeoff. https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... c0016.html

"The engaged start locks prevented the right propeller from producing the required thrust, which resulted in a significant thrust differential. With less thrust being generated by the right engine, the aircraft experienced a loss of directional control and exited the runway."

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

J31 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:35 pm No problem with the nose wheel steering.

Right engine start locks not disengaged. :oops: Then no one looking at the torque as the power was pushed up for takeoff. https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... c0016.html

"The engaged start locks prevented the right propeller from producing the required thrust, which resulted in a significant thrust differential. With less thrust being generated by the right engine, the aircraft experienced a loss of directional control and exited the runway."

Last edited by Dronepiper on Sat May 01, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”