2020 Hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

circle2land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2020 Hiring

Post by circle2land »

Heard today WJ is freezing all pilot hiring
---------- ADS -----------

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

circle2land wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm Heard today WJ is freezing all pilot hiring
Heard from who? There’s a lot of speculation going on.
I got a reply from one of their recruiters saying that they have gone through a staffing change and are just a little behind right now.
Hope that’s the true.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

igorcanuck wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm
circle2land wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm Heard today WJ is freezing all pilot hiring
Heard from who?
Ed Sims

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Are interviews still going on or are they also stopped? I got one coming up at the end of the week.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Fellow Pilots,
This morning, WestJet executive leadership briefed our Association, along with the other employee representatives, on the growing economic effect COVID-19 is taking, specifically a marked drop in forward bookings and a corresponding rise in cancellations.

By now you may have read or heard about the communication from the WestJet Group, and how it plans to protect its core business by reducing capacity if required. Those plans do not exclude the possibility of furloughs, but for now none are planned. However, all pilot hiring is suspended at this time.

Our collective agreement does have provisions to mitigate job losses and we have a commitment to work through these steps to best protect you—our members—and your careers.

Our pilot group has been through a roller coaster of labour-relations issues and has dealt with a new contract that has brought the most changes ever. We will continue to address contract issues; however, we must also turn our focus toward the challenges faced not only by our company but the airline industry as the COVID-19 situation and public reaction to it continue to evolve.

We know there will be pilots in our ranks yet to experience a global event like this in their career. What we are seeing now is not unlike the challenges experienced after the tragic events of 9/11 or during the SARS and H1N1 outbreaks.

We are committed to protect all our members' long-term careers. One lesson we can take from past experience is that airlines that successfully navigate the hard times come out the other side much stronger and more profitable.

Your three MEC officers have another meeting this afternoon. In the meantime, we encourage thoughtful reflection on the situation and your MEC will do their best to keep the lines of communication open with P2P and the pilot group as a whole.

Sincerely,
Your MEC

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

igorcanuck wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Heard from who? There’s a lot of speculation going on.
I got a reply from one of their recruiters saying that they have gone through a staffing change and are just a little behind right now.
Hope that’s the true.
Staffers are usually the last to know anything.

They are often just told to "keep doing what you're doing" in hopes things turn around. When hiring stops or layoffs happen it will come out of the blue and be quick and swift.

The letter posted above was sent out to all the WJ pilots from ALPA.

foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by foxonefoxone »

I was called by a member of the recruitment team a month back and he told me to get back to him this month. However, they havent called back after multiple calls, am guessing ......*phew*

Return to “WestJet”