Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Corona Virus

Post by derateNO »

Based on years and years of seeing every person go take a shit or piss and walk out of a public bathroom without washing their hands it was only a matter of time before we had some gross virus hit us all.
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

WestJet freezes hiring, considers suspending routes as COVID-19 hammers bottom line
News provided by Calgary Herald – link to full story and updates

WestJet Airlines has instituted a company-wide hiring freeze and is offering its employees voluntary buyout packages as COVID-19 takes a heavy toll on the company’s bottom line.

AMANDA STEPHENSON, CALGARY HERALD March 11, 2020

A WestJet Boeing 737 takes off from the Calgary International Airport on Jan. 23, 2020. GAVIN YOUNG / POSTMEDIA
WestJet Airlines has instituted a company-wide hiring freeze and is offering its employees voluntary buyout packages as COVID-19 takes a heavy toll on the company’s bottom line.

Spokeswoman Lauren Stewart confirmed in an email Wednesday that the airline is also reviewing its network with the aim of temporarily cutting routes and reducing network capacity by 12 per cent or more.

The Calgary-based airline said it is taking the actions to “protect the financial well-being” of the company. International travel restrictions and public fears about the coronavirus have “significantly weakened demand” across WestJet’s network, Stewart said.

The situation is compounded by the nearly year-long global grounding of the Boeing Max 8 aircraft, which has meant WestJet can no longer use 13 of its newest and most efficient aircraft. Stewart said WestJet CEO Ed Sims spoke to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday and informed him that the combined impact of the two global events has had a “dramatic” effect on the company’s business.

WestJet has not yet provided information about the future of its new Calgary-Rome, Italy flight, which is set to launch in May. On Monday, Air Canada announced it was cancelling all routes to and from Italy until May 1.

“This situation remains extremely fluid, we will not speculate on additional measure we may need to take,” Stewart said.

WestJet is also undertaking other cost-cutting initiatives, including the freezing of discretionary spending.

In a news conference Wednesday, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said he is concerned about the effect coronavirus is having across the entire economy, and mentioned WestJet specifically.

“They are an Alberta-based company and their yields and revenues and cash flow are down dramatically,” Kenney said.

More to come…

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Much ado about nothing. All this hype and hysteria over a “ novel” flu. But, the hysteria is having an impact or so it would seem.

I think this will blow over quickly once the media becomes bored.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

based on the WestJet notice, it is def. not about nothing. People are not travelling but I am surprised that WestJet has found it needed to go to this extent re layoffs etc. I guess their revenues are not good but since they are now a private company, they no long publish their quarterly reports. Portents of Pacific Western Airlines who were going great (making profits) until they decided to grow like Topsy. Sure hope the same is not true of WestJet.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I have family who work in healthcare. From their perspective, they doubt there will be a significant impact to aviation and the economy from this “ novel” virus.- expect to see effects somewhere between the common cold and a nasty seasonal flu.

I’m hoping their take on the situation turns out to be reality in that this will be nothing more than a minor blip and life will go on...

I do think the media loves fear and humans like the adrenaline from fear.

And yes, I was around for SARS, 9/11 and the financial crisis.

Last edited by GhostRider6 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

GhostRider6 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:32 pm I have family who work in healthcare. From their perspective, they doubt there will be a significant impact to aviation and the economy from this “ novel” virus.
Your family may have a good understanding of healthcare, but they don't understand aviation.

The reason why airlines are struggling right now is because people aren't booking. Now is the time where airlines make a shit tonne of money in Canada as people book their summer vacations.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Longtimer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm based on the WestJet notice, it is def. not about nothing. People are not travelling but I am surprised that WestJet has found it needed to go to this extent re layoffs etc.
That doesn't prove this virus is bad or if it's nothing, only that people perceive it as bad, or -and this is more likely- people are afraid of the different measures governments are taking to counter the perceived bad virus.

I wouldn't mind travelling to Italy or Spain or France, but I won't, because I am afraid the government might close the borders or cancel my flights. I'm not afraid of the virus.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The Trump announcement (cancel all flights to/from Europe - except the UK) is going to kick the shit out of the industry.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

British people don't get sick? Must be the accent.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 pm British people don't get sick? Must be the accent.
Wouldn't want to restrict his kids from getting to his golf courses.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Well in reality it's probably because they have a border and are not part of the free movement schengen area.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

7ECA wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm The Trump announcement (cancel all flights to/from Europe - except the UK) is going to kick the shit out of the industry.
Maybe, but maybe it’ll be short lasting, whereas our “ball-less” leader will make it fester!

Keep the dirty side down.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

EPR wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 pm
7ECA wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm The Trump announcement (cancel all flights to/from Europe - except the UK) is going to kick the shit out of the industry.
Maybe, but maybe it’ll be short lasting, whereas our “ball-less” leader will make it fester!
Lol. Trumps idiotic tweets pretty much singlehanded wiped out “his” three years of gains on the DJIA in a matter of days.

I like “ball-less” leaders. They don’t fck things up. It’s so interesting how people who complain about the government interfering with their lives are always the first ones wondering why they aren’t doing more.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Markets are at limit down circuit breakers again after open. This reaction is less about the travel ban, and more about the confusion of the announcement. Commander in Chief got on national tv and said 'ban all travel to Europe'. The paper signed doesn't say that, it says, ban incoming folks from Europe who are not Americans.

Fear in the markets, and public in general, right now, is driven by the confusion and incoherence in the messaging more than the message itself. Everybody realizes 'something bad is happening'. But the real scary part is, those driving the bus seem confused about where it's going and there isn't a consistent message from leadership. When C&C goes on tv to make an announcement, then gets it wrong, that does more harm than the announcement itself.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Trump has single-handedly made the situation worse in the USA and now he's trying to clean up his own mess. For some people it'll be too little and too late. It was he who closed down the pandemic planning agency. It was he who went on TV and said it'd all blow over in a couple of days. It was his administration that cut funding to the agencies that could have put test kits out in the field in a few days. He deserves to have this be the defining moment of his debacle of a presidency.

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sullecpt »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am Trump has single-handedly made the situation worse in the USA and now he's trying to clean up his own mess. For some people it'll be too little and too late. It was he who closed down the pandemic planning agency. It was he who went on TV and said it'd all blow over in a couple of days. It was his administration that cut funding to the agencies that could have put test kits out in the field in a few days. He deserves to have this be the defining moment of his debacle of a presidency.
I understand many people hate Trump, and they are allowed to. However, I don't think this is a partisan issue. Nobody "deserves" this. People need to put political stances aside and work together.

In Canada, I think we have been wreckless letting in daily flights from China. Every country is trying to deal with this the best way they can without destroying the economy. There is no perfect solution. A virus doesnt care. Nobody can predict this.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

The fact we are still flying to India, Taiwan, HK and Seoul is reckless.

Shit's blowing up across the globe. We will have a huge breakout soon, just watch.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

sullecpt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am In Canada, I think we have been wreckless letting in daily flights from China. Every country is trying to deal with this the best way they can without destroying the economy. There is no perfect solution. A virus doesnt care. Nobody can predict this.
USA has 10x the number of cases that Canada has, even though they banned flights from China.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 am [quote=sullecpt post_id=<a href="tel:1108193">1108193</a> time=<a href="tel:1584026095">1584026095</a> user_id=64531]
In Canada, I think we have been wreckless letting in daily flights from China. Every country is trying to deal with this the best way they can without destroying the economy. There is no perfect solution. A virus doesnt care. Nobody can predict this.
USA has 10x the number of cases that Canada has, even though they banned flights from China.
[/quote]
They also have ten times the population, I’m pretty sure the ratio would be the same in this case

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sullecpt »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 am
sullecpt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am In Canada, I think we have been wreckless letting in daily flights from China. Every country is trying to deal with this the best way they can without destroying the economy. There is no perfect solution. A virus doesnt care. Nobody can predict this.
Also a larger population. I dont know anyone who is getting tested in Canada though. Like many countries, this is going to make the numbers unreliable. Its here.

Return to “General Comments”