The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by dhc# »

Ok, so with WJ announcing hiring freezes today, the elephant in the room remains AC....how long before the skipper of the SS Air Canada, throws the engines into full reverse as well ??

Hours, days :?: :?: :?:
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Why does everyone keep comparing us to WJ.

They're not just not on the same level, they're in a building across the street

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

People never give up looking for job security that has never been a part of the flying business. We all wish it were not the case. I have nothing whatsoever to do with Air Canada, or any airline

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

derateNO wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm Why does everyone keep comparing us to WJ.

You’re right. What they feel we feel 10x

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

derateNO wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm Why does everyone keep comparing us to WJ.

Put your egotism aside for just a sec there skippy. AC is significantly more exposed to a global downturn and the shutting down of whole countries’ airspaces than those people in the building across the street.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

All flights from USA to Europe suspended. Ordered by the Commander in Chief himself.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavir ... -1.5494748

Last edited by CPT.HarshColdReality on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re:

Post by altiplano »

CFM Symphony wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:33 pm

Put your egotism aside for just a sec there skippy. AC is significantly more exposed to a global downturn and the shutting down of whole countries’ airspaces than those people in the building across the street.
I disagree. I'd say more diversified.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

It’s ugly!
I’m sure head shed is scrambling. With a few fins of max cancelled now they are likely trying to figure out the capacity cuts etc. It’s gonna hurt.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Every airline is scrambling. But diversity of markets and travellers is better.

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Re:

Post by CFM Symphony »

altiplano wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Diverse compared to an operator that barely touches any of the heavily affected regions? I don’t see your logic. If WestJet’s sole order of business was flying to China or Italy etc., then yes diversity would be a relative asset for AC. As it stands however, that’s not the case. Furthermore, with the freshly announced suspension of EU/US flying, ACs route network and reliance on shipping people between those states via Canadian hubs will take a major beating, where WJ has limited exposure.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

CFM Symphony wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm
altiplano wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Diverse compared to an operator that barely touches any of the heavily affected regions? I don’t see your logic. If WestJet’s sole order of business was flying to China or Italy etc., then yes diversity would be a relative asset for AC. As it stands however, that’s not the case. Furthermore, with the freshly announced suspension of EU/US flying, ACs route network and reliance on shipping people between those states via Canadian hubs will take a major beating, where WJ has limited exposure.
Do you think Italy, China, EU are the only markets taking a significant hit? That any operator is insulated? I'm not so sure that's the case.

I think it's clear the fear is spread across more markets.

Vacation and discretionary travel in all markets, particularly cruise ships, resorts, Florida, Disney, etc. are hollowing out... proportionally that makes up a very large part of some airlines' markets this time of year.

New service launching in 6 weeks to Rome? I wonder how those bookings are doing?

All that said... I believe this will wash over in the spring.

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

Yes turkey, everyone is affected. It’s just a matter of some being more exposed than others. Cancelling one destination such as Rome hardly compares to cancelling all flying to China and Italy. The leisure travel you blabber on about is an exposure for both WJ and Rouge. But the global traffic slowdown hits AC a lot harder than WJ because (I cant believe I’m having to explain this...) AC actually flies all over the world including the affected areas. Moving on...

Alt50
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alt50 »

Cancelled flights in April so far.

YYC-NRT

YVR-PEK
YVR-PVG

YYZ-PEK
YYZ-PVG
YYZ-ICN
YYZ-HKG
YYZ-MXP
YYZ-FCO

YUL-PVG
YUL-FCO

Probably going to grow quick.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

39 candidates in the latest gs

4 777 Fo
10 787 Fo
1 767 Fo
2 L767 Fo
4 330 Fo
8 319 Fo
6 220 fo
4 EMB fo

tca
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tca »

CFM Symphony wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm Diverse compared to an operator that barely touches any of the heavily affected regions? I don’t see your logic. If WestJet’s sole order of business was flying to China or Italy etc., then yes diversity would be a relative asset for AC. As it stands however, that’s not the case. Furthermore, with the freshly announced suspension of EU/US flying, ACs route network and reliance on shipping people between those states via Canadian hubs will take a major beating, where WJ has limited exposure.
I don't think you quite understand the concept of diversification.

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

tca wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 am
CFM Symphony wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm Diverse compared to an operator that barely touches any of the heavily affected regions? I don’t see your logic. If WestJet’s sole order of business was flying to China or Italy etc., then yes diversity would be a relative asset for AC. As it stands however, that’s not the case. Furthermore, with the freshly announced suspension of EU/US flying, ACs route network and reliance on shipping people between those states via Canadian hubs will take a major beating, where WJ has limited exposure.
I don't think you quite understand the concept of diversification.
Hehe, of course I don’t as long as understanding what is a fairly commonsensical economic strategy goes against your narrative. :goodman:

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

iflyroads wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 am 39 candidates in the latest gs

4 777 Fo
10 787 Fo
1 767 Fo
2 L767 Fo
4 330 Fo
8 319 Fo
6 220 fo
4 EMB fo
Holy smokes 20 WB FOs.

Fucking AC.

Pay us properly and you wouldn't need to put new hires in these jobs.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Does anyone have any insights on if April calls have or will soon be going out or is the hiring freeze imminent?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

CFM Symphony wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 am Yes turkey, everyone is affected. It’s just a matter of some being more exposed than others. Cancelling one destination such as Rome hardly compares to cancelling all flying to China and Italy. The leisure travel you blabber on about is an exposure for both WJ and Rouge. But the global traffic slowdown hits AC a lot harder than WJ because (I cant believe I’m having to explain this...) AC actually flies all over the world including the affected areas. Moving on...
Why are you being a jerk?

I was having a reasoned discussion, exchanging points of view and you resort to name calling and insults. Grow up.

Despite being the outbreak centres, China and Italy aren't the only regions affected by the slowdown.

Leisure and non-essential travel bookings are among the hardest hit, proportionally that's a larger part of Westjet's flying than Air Canada's as Westjet are actually the market share leader by slight amount into sun destinations, and with a smaller amount of flying that's a proportionately larger part of their business.

Does AC stand to potentially lose more as an amount of total revenue? Yes. But they have quadruple the revenues of Westjet, and from a broader stream. My position is that the loss could potentially be lower as a percentage of total revenues.

Return to “Air Canada”