Who's gotten a lay off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Who's gotten a lay off?

Post by Wheels »

Sunwing Airlines announced it will suspend operations after March 23, 2020 and all pilots, approximately 470 in total, will be laid off on April 8, 2020

Good luck lads
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:17 am Regarding the airline exec.....Who cares? If you want to be an airline exec, go apply. Tell HR you can do a better job.

Do you begrudge the basketball player that gets $30,000 per shot (whether its in or not) or the actor that gets a mill an episode, or the rapper that promotes crap?

Start your own airline.
Absolutely....in a dog-eat-dog world.

IMO, good corporate leadership would recognise that if the employees are hurting, then the management should be seen to hurt also...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

all 4 rotational 1900 capt north wright got 6 mth layoff notices according to an f/0 up there. these are 10 and 15000 + hour guys

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 pm
co-joe wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm We're literally sacrificing the good of the many for the needs of the few. Shitty catch 22 to be in.
It's not shitty at all. It's basic ethics. I'll happily sacrifice your money so my relatives don't die. Not a difficult choice in any sense. In fact, without a second thought, I will sacrifice my money so your relatives don't die. See how easy this is?
I feel the same way, just pointing out the trade we are making. My parents are in the 15%+ mortality rate age range, I'm in the 2% group. If anyone thinks this will blow over in 2 weeks they are naive. Economically we are sitting on a everything bubble. We're betting the house of cards that we call a world economy, on this.

Last edited by co-joe on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamthecaptainnow13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamthecaptainnow13 »

(703 operator) Thunder Airlines laid off a ton of people from Thunder Bay and TImmins.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

iamthecaptainnow13 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm (703 operator) Thunder Airlines laid off a ton of people from Thunder Bay and TImmins.
Ouch. I flew with them before going 705 and I loved working there.

Troubling times for all. But we'll get through it. The world has seen worse and life goes on.

Stay safe y'all.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Wasaya has triggered the lay-off mechanism in the collective agreement.

The fact that northern operators are not safe says it all.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Do you have a reference for this? If this is the case, it’d be the first time I can remember a small operation not being able to whether the storm.
iamthecaptainnow13 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm (703 operator) Thunder Airlines laid off a ton of people from Thunder Bay and TImmins.

iamthecaptainnow13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamthecaptainnow13 »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 pm Do you have a reference for this? If this is the case, it’d be the first time I can remember a small operation not being able to whether the storm.
I don't have a web link I can provide just conversation I had with 2 of my friends who were working for the company. 1 was Timmins base the other was Thunder Bay Base.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

If you want to know what’s going to happen at AC and Express/Jazz,

“Air Canada, Canada’s largest airline, announced it will gradually suspend its international and U.S. flights by March 31 and drastically cut its domestic and cross-border schedules until at least April 30.
While it will operate flights in the short term to repatriate travellers stuck abroad, after April 1 it plans to cut the number of airports it services internationally to six from 101; in the United States to 13 from 53; and domestically to 40 airports from 62.”

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Sky is probably done.

Jazz to minimum block.

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

derateNO wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm Sky is probably done.

Jazz to minimum block.
how Sky can be done when the majority of the US flying available for April is Sky's flying? I am as surprised as you to see so many of those flights operated by Sky. Good for them though!

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03 ... 9-Response

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

It’s not ‘sky’s flying’.
It belongs to whoever AC decides should do it. I suspect the company is coming to ACPA with some pretty big requests right now and ACPA will be trying to save as many ACPA jobs as possible.

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

Sharklasers wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 pm It’s not ‘sky’s flying’.
It belongs to whoever AC decides should do it. I suspect the company is coming to ACPA with some pretty big requests right now and ACPA will be trying to save as many ACPA jobs as possible.
Totally agree with you. But if you simulate those flights on AC website it’s (still) operated by Sky mostly. Might change thought. Who knows.

L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by L1900Edge »

Any word on what's happening with Jazz?

canadianpilot101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canadianpilot101 »

Wasaya is starting to lay off pilots.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

L1900Edge wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm Any word on what's happening with Jazz?
We got a memo saying layoffs are coming. Just don’t know how many as of yet.

Let’s Go Brandon
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Things are literally changing by the hour. I wouldn't put a lot of trust in website that long term.

All I know is if there's one thing ACPA for all their faults doesn't @#$! around with it's scope. And if AC is seeing layoffs but Sky and Jazz are still flying our routes around you can be sure they will try to address it.

Force mejeure clauses exist exactly for situations like this.

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

L1900Edge wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm Any word on what's happening with Jazz?
Lay offs certain to happen at Jazz. Once AC decides what they need but given what has already been announced. I would say all transborder flying that Jazz does on behalf of AC is gone. As AC is cutting back on domestic requirements there will likewise be a reduction at Jazz. I would not be surprised if at minimum 50% of the pilot roster gets a pink slip.

This is not going to be a quick recovery. This is not a problem isolated to aviation. Several industries are shutting down and the service industry is perhaps taking the biggest hit. When the dust settles it will not be life as it was before. When you see how the stock markets have taken a hit and the uncertainty that exists worldwide all I can say folks is go back and read up on the Great Depression. Buckle up tight we have hit severe turbulence!

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

prop2jet wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Lay offs certain to happen at Jazz. Once AC decides what they need but given what has already been announced. I would say all transborder flying that Jazz does on behalf of AC is gone. As AC is cutting back on domestic requirements there will likewise be a reduction at Jazz. I would not be surprised if at minimum 50% of the pilot roster gets a pink slip.

This is not going to be a quick recovery. This is not a problem isolated to aviation. Several industries are shutting down and the service industry is perhaps taking the biggest hit. When the dust settles it will not be life as it was before. When you see how the stock markets have taken a hit and the uncertainty that exists worldwide all I can say folks is go back and read up on the Great Depression. Buckle up tight we have hit severe turbulence!
Some pretty smart people in the industry think otherwise.
Google what the Fed ex CEO said about predicting a v shape recovery, they have been dealing with this since the beginning in Wuhan and have seen the progression. Might not be the end of the world, lots of people want to go and do things, are educated and want to make money. It's not 1929. Things may look a bit different once its played out, but this might level the playing field a little.
Chins up.

Return to “General Comments”