Layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Layoffs

Post by a2btrail »

The company indicated through the union on March 20th that they require to layoff 550 pilots here. My understanding is the union will be meeting the company this week to discuss the final number of layoffs.

I have not been on the property for that long. This December past being 2+yrs. I'm almost certain I will not make the cut. My pending plan is to go back up north as I've got a family to take care of. Based on the EI calculations, EI will barley cover my rent; let alone my basic expenses nor will my savings last a long time.

Even when this Covid 19 situation is in the past it will take time for AC to increase capacity. Can anyone shed light if they think me going back up north is premature or does this path seem reasonable given the on going situation. My company up north would love to have me back but I have to give them an ideal amount of time I can serve them. They are willing to work with me and for that I'm grateful.

I'm here just to seek help and/or counsel and not judgement.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Layoffs

Post by mbav8r »

a2btrail wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:36 am The company indicated through the union on March 20th that they require to layoff 550 pilots here. My understanding is the union will be meeting the company this week to discuss the final number of layoffs.

I have not been on the property for that long. This December past being 2+yrs. I'm almost certain I will not make the cut. My pending plan is to go back up north as I've got a family to take care of. Based on the EI calculations, EI will barley cover my rent; let alone my basic expenses nor will my savings last a long time.

Even when this Covid 19 situation is in the past it will take time for AC to increase capacity. Can anyone shed light if they think me going back up north is premature or does this path seem reasonable given the on going situation. My company up north would love to have me back but I have to give them an ideal amount of time I can serve them. They are willing to work with me and for that I'm grateful.

Hi,
If you have a job to go to that will pay the bills, you will likely have the option to take a predefined leave of absence, therefore you can say at minimum how long to commit to them.
How long the layoffs will last is anyone’s guess, even the economists can’t predict anything at this point, based on worldwide shutdowns, my gut tells me there will be further cuts before this is done. That would delay the call back timelines, also I believe with layoffs and LOA, there is a right to refuse twice before having to quit or come back.
Details should be out soon, I would certainly entertain a job now, it’s a great position you’re in considering the current climate.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Take the job and don’t hesitate. This could be a long downturn. I was laid off on previous cycles and was lucky to be one of the first to be let go. I got a job up north right away. As time went on, you had to be an astronaut to get hired for anything. I was in a comfortable position, making good money and waiting patiently until things got better. Deferred recall a couple times until I could come back with decent seniority.

My two cents, go back north and wait this out on the sidelines. Worked well for me.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 am
a2btrail wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:36 am The company indicated through the union on March 20th that they require to layoff 550 pilots here. My understanding is the union will be meeting the company this week to discuss the final number of layoffs.

Hi,
If you have a job to go to that will pay the bills, you will likely have the option to take a predefined leave of absence, therefore you can say at minimum how long to commit to them.
How long the layoffs will last is anyone’s guess, even the economists can’t predict anything at this point, based on worldwide shutdowns, my gut tells me there will be further cuts before this is done. That would delay the call back timelines, also I believe with layoffs and LOA, there is a right to refuse twice before having to quit or come back.
Details should be out soon, I would certainly entertain a job now, it’s a great position you’re in considering the current climate.
47north wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am Take the job and don’t hesitate. This could be a long downturn. I was laid off on previous cycles and was lucky to be one of the first to be let go. I got a job up north right away. As time went on, you had to be an astronaut to get hired for anything. I was in a comfortable position, making good money and waiting patiently until things got better. Deferred recall a couple times until I could come back with decent seniority.

My two cents, go back north and wait this out on the sidelines. Worked well for me.
Thank you both for your advice and timely responses. I've got a better picture. Best of progress to you both.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

a2btrail wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 am
mbav8r wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 am

Hi,
47north wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am Take the job and don’t hesitate. This could be a long downturn. I was laid off on previous cycles and was lucky to be one of the first to be let go. I got a job up north right away. As time went on, you had to be an astronaut to get hired for anything. I was in a comfortable position, making good money and waiting patiently until things got better. Deferred recall a couple times until I could come back with decent seniority.

Thank you both for your advice and timely responses. I've got a better picture now. Best of progress to you both.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

With commuters that won't be able to commute anymore, Voluntary LOA, and early retirements that for sure will happen i'm thinking your actual chances to make the cut are actually good at 2+ years as you might be in the 1000-1100.

Now the only concern is the situation is getting worsen day by day and who knows if it won't be more than 550 actual layoffs..

With today announcements (closure of non essential entreprises including mining and construction companies) in QC and ON, I doubt any other companies other than medevacs will survive. and that includes charters.

Good luck to all..

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

go north. Feed the fam. If laid off, you have option to return and delay recall if you want. win-win.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Does anyone know if we at Jazz are pay protected if we lose our captain spot and downgrade to FO? I started at the same time as OP but am more worried about the drop in pay then getting laid off.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

How retarded can you get? Maybe in the land of unicorns you would be pay protected.
Listen, this isnt great for anyone. I dont want to see anyone lose a seat or pay. But come on, think 2 seconds

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

FL-280 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm How retarded can you get? Maybe in the land of unicorns you would be pay protected.
Listen, this isnt great for anyone. I dont want to see anyone lose a seat or pay. But come on, think 2 seconds
To be fair, there was language in a LOU that any current Captains would be pay protected if as a result of the GGN integration, there were layoffs. This would not be the case here

Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm Does anyone know if we at Jazz are pay protected if we lose our captain spot and downgrade to FO? I started at the same time as OP but am more worried about the drop in pay then getting laid off.
You’d prefer to be laid off then continue working and making money as an FO?

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Goodman5 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm Does anyone know if we at Jazz are pay protected if we lose our captain spot and downgrade to FO? I started at the same time as OP but am more worried about the drop in pay then getting laid off.
EI is similar to FO pay while on reserve with very little per diems and no OT. I also have employable skills from a previous career which I can use for the time being to make decent money.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Goodman5 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm
If you'd make more on EI than FO yes

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

where is the guy who was i shit you not... was complaining that Jazz would not pay for his hotel. A Captain who's parents didnt want him living at home due to risk and was having trouble finding a crashpad in YYZ or YVR. :rolleyes:

ssssssbob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ssssssbob »

Amazing how a lot of GGN guys who have been here less than a few months get to keep their jobs while Jazz hires who have been on property for over 2 years are likely getting the boot

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Definitely got a good deal there.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Well almost 75% of the pilots thought MOS4 was a good thing presumably because of the (almost) guarantees flow to AC. MOS4 included DOH for the Georgian pilots. No one saw this COVID-19 shitstorm coming so we just have to deal with it. Plus if Georgian still existed, I could see management wanting us to accept their pay scale as part of lay-off mitigation

natural
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natural »

Have fun on EI, to all the JAZZ guys who voted YES for GGN drivers to keep their initial DOH!!! :smt021

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Did you not see my post above? You truly are an asshole to be rubbing this in right now

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Just got an email from our union. Looks like flying is now cut by 80%, not the earlier 60% so the layoffs will likely go up to 20 year employees possibly. Yikes.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”