Flight school delays - Covid19

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight school delays - Covid19

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Civic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 am
Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:43 am TC exam centres shut down UFN. It sounds like most FTU’s have either shut down completely or are not doing any dual training.

So all TC centres are closed for any enquirires?
No the exam centres at the TCC are closed. This means that you can’t write an exam at a TCC. The TCC’s are open and can be visited by appointment
---------- ADS -----------

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 am
Civic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 am
Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:43 am TC exam centres shut down UFN. It sounds like most FTU’s have either shut down completely or are not doing any dual training.

So all TC centres are closed for any enquirires?
No the exam centres at the TCC are closed. This means that you can’t write an exam at a TCC. The TCC’s are open and can be visited by appointment
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I wonder if getting things achieved at TC are going to be slower due to this virus. Things, like making appointments to do Radio licences, or getting approved to be the designated person which takes making an appointment. All around just getting these types of issues done, I guess their response will tell.

Thanks again Pistons

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I am also being told that TC is working on a policy letter to allow extensions for pilots who have ratings or PPC's that will expire soon like they did for medicals.

Sadly it will probably be moot for many pilots as Canadian Aviation goes into a Corona Virus induced coma....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

One hopes the backlog of medical certificates can be cleared in the months or years these measures are in place. I wonder if TC has ever taken so long to produce an initial certificate that it had expired by the date of issue?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

Was closing in on my CPL flight test :cry:

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Are all FTUs accross Canada closed?
Also, are all those flight examiners "grounded"?
Thank You

Skysurfer_1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skysurfer_1980 »

Just got an email stating the Ottawa Flying club will remain open for flight training, sim training and LOFT training with the exception to ground schools being postponed.

And they shut down the kitchen? Doesn't make sense.

Thoughts?? :smt014

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Skysurfer_1980 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm Just got an email stating the Ottawa Flying club will remain open for flight training, sim training and LOFT training with the exception to ground schools being postponed.

They had a post on Facebook yesterday that they were staying open. Now the post is gone. Wonder if it was due to backlash or the gov't telling them in not so pleasant terms to lock the doors?

RedBarn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RedBarn »

Does anyone know why Calgary Okotoks Flights School is still flying when all other schools are not??

Skysurfer_1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skysurfer_1980 »

broken_slinky wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am
Skysurfer_1980 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm Just got an email stating the Ottawa Flying club will remain open for flight training, sim training and LOFT training with the exception to ground schools being postponed.

They had a post on Facebook yesterday that they were staying open. Now the post is gone. Wonder if it was due to backlash or the gov't telling them in not so pleasant terms to lock the doors?
Probably. Completely Irresponsible to remain open.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

I think everyone should shift their focus a bit more long-term. For sure once people start flying again after the lockdowns and social distancing relax a bit things hiring will start to turn around and there'll still be factors like attrition at play, but I think the past few years of quick upgrades and low time pilots flying turboprops with no ramp time etc is over. There's gonna be a lot of pilots with experience competing over jobs, and training departments everywhere will be swamped trying to rebuild what they've lost.

When I started flying post-9/11 you couldn't pay someone to put you in the seat of anything. It behooves anyone coming into the industry now to be realistic and honest with yourself, and while things will recover, it will take time and it will be a slog. Steel yourself for the challenges ahead, and you'll get through it. If you assume that things will be red-hot again when you finally do finish your training after these delays, I think you're setting yourself up for heartache.

Roel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roel »

Hey guys, it's great to see all the aviators gathering up here. So I am enrolled at Pro in BC. Barely been a month that I joined and this virus dawned upon us here. As rightly said this is something we don't have control over and we have to take our own precautions to evade from this menace. To my luck, our school has been great in terms of revamping up their ground school course and putting it up online that takes place 4 times a week live with an instructor. This keeps most of us going and at least working towards getting ready for the PPL written.
Also what you guys are using to prep for PPL?
I am using From the Ground up and the course notes from school.
Do provide your inputs so this way we keep the rest informed.
Cheers and happy studying :)

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Roel wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm Hey guys, it's great to see all the aviators gathering up here. So I am enrolled at Pro in BC. Barely been a month that I joined and this virus dawned upon us here. As rightly said this is something we don't have control over and we have to take our own precautions to evade from this menace. To my luck, our school has been great in terms of revamping up their ground school course and putting it up online that takes place 4 times a week live with an instructor. This keeps most of us going and at least working towards getting ready for the PPL written.
Also what you guys are using to prep for PPL?
I am using From the Ground up and the course notes from school.
Do provide your inputs so this way we keep the rest informed.
Cheers and happy studying :)
I heard that school took a much slower approach to social distancing etc vs other FTUs in CZBB, before revising their training.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Lets get back to the original topic of schools closing down and our second guessing in when they might open again. Flight school owners and management are no different than any other non essential businesses out there at present. On a bigger scale it appears that both the Federal Government as well as Provincial level are running by trial and error. This has caught everyone out and in the grand scheme of things it shows both our lack of knowledge in how to deal with pandemics especially the unknown.
The rules around COVID are changing on a daily basis worldwide and in my opinion we certainly haven't seen the worst of it yet in this Country. Even as things start to settle down I can see the social distance thing remaining in place and that may be a good thing in the prevention of flu etc etc. We all have colleagues who show up to work sick and this has to change.
I believe travel restrictions will be in place even longer when all is said and done as not every country will be coming out of this outbreak at the same time which may hurt this Industry even more.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

shamrock104 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 am Lets get back to the original topic of schools closing down and our second guessing in when they might open again. Flight school owners and management are no different than any other non essential businesses out there at present. On a bigger scale it appears that both the Federal Government as well as Provincial level are running by trial and error. This has caught everyone out and in the grand scheme of things it shows both our lack of knowledge in how to deal with pandemics especially the unknown.
The rules around COVID are changing on a daily basis worldwide and in my opinion we certainly haven't seen the worst of it yet in this Country. Even as things start to settle down I can see the social distance thing remaining in place and that may be a good thing in the prevention of flu etc etc. We all have colleagues who show up to work sick and this has to change.
I believe travel restrictions will be in place even longer when all is said and done as not every country will be coming out of this outbreak at the same time which may hurt this Industry even more.
I’m guessing August at the earliest to resume flight training, maybe September!
Sad times!!!

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by the future of flight »

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, though I've been lurking for a little while. I noticed this thread and was really curious why all the flight schools are closed down. I started training about 4 weeks ago and have had no problem getting bookings or flights with an instructor. In fact, I'm already up to 12 hours! The school I'm at has no sick people, and we clean the planes after every flight, so I don't know what the big deal is. All the other schools at the airport are closed (suckers!), so there's never a problem getting circuits too. I know some governments are trying to say flying is non-essential, but I really disagree. We'll always need new pilots. At least I know that my flight training is not being delayed.

tombrooks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tombrooks »

the future of flight wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:57 pm Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, though I've been lurking for a little while. I noticed this thread and was really curious why all the flight schools are closed down. I started training about 4 weeks ago and have had no problem getting bookings or flights with an instructor. In fact, I'm already up to 12 hours! The school I'm at has no sick people, and we clean the planes after every flight, so I don't know what the big deal is. All the other schools at the airport are closed (suckers!), so there's never a problem getting circuits too. I know some governments are trying to say flying is non-essential, but I really disagree. We'll always need new pilots. At least I know that my flight training is not being delayed.

Spending over an hour at a time flying dual in a small enclosed space like the cockpit of a 152 doesn't sound like my idea of fun right now, as much as I want to get going with my PPL. You can't social distance and the main issue is that you can easily transmit this disease whilst being asymptomatic yourself, so either you or your instructor could get it (and then pass it onto others) without you knowing. Not sure how you can be sure that there are no sick people at your school and that you're perfectly safe when this disease is transmitted by people showing no symptoms?

I'm happy enough to wait it out a few months and focus on ground school until then.

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

I see your only going for a PPL, so I guess that's your choice if you can delay your training. I'm on a career program and like my instructor says, I'll be ahead of all the other students who aren't flying right now. and since the airport is quiet with the other schools closed, we don't get delayed by ATC or anything.

Also, the school won't let you fly if your sick, so I'm not really concerned about getting anything from other people. We wipe down the inside of the airplane so I know its clean. Its all common sense if you really think about it.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

You don’t seem to understand that people can have the virus and spread it without showing any symptoms, or several days before actually becoming sick. That’s why we have the “physical distancing” rules which you cannot follow in the cockpit of a plane.

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

final28 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am You don’t seem to understand that people can have the virus and spread it without showing any symptoms, or several days before actually becoming sick. That’s why we have the “physical distancing” rules which you cannot follow in the cockpit of a plane.
If that's really true (there's no real proof - maybe we all have it and the sick people are just weak), why would my school still be open? No one has shut us down, cuz we're doing everything right. My school couldn't be certified if they were breaking any rules, right? So while the rest of you are on the ground, I'm getting my hours. Thank goodness theres common sense somewhere.

Return to “Flight Training”