AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Daniel Cooper »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am If the lists are merged during these layoffs, all TS pilots senior to AC pilots that are still working would remain laid off.
Interesting. Thanks for the correction.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:09 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am If the lists are merged during these layoffs, all TS pilots senior to AC pilots that are still working would remain laid off.
Interesting. Thanks for the correction.
Typically, implementation of an ISL (Integrated Seniority List) includes a “no bump - no flush” provision. This is either agreed or in almost all cases is included in an arbitrated award.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Nothing to to with politicians? I beg to differ, but in this case in addition to the usual cynical back room involvement of politicians, we have a genuine worldwide crisis unfolding where their involvement is not only required but should be welcomed. Much at stake, merger/bailout call it what you want, this isn’t a normal transaction anymore. All airlines will be receiving support and there WILL be strings attached (hint hint).

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am You get called back in order of seniority.
This is when it could potentially get ugly. If Air Canada pilots are still laid off post merger and Transat pilots are called back before them. That would not be conducive to a peaceful merger.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Not only that, the Transat pilots are basically snapshotted in their seats while laid off and AC is going to run a downbid and keep working. A lot of guys are going to loose their captaincies for a time and that will really hurt our position when it comes to a ‘no bump/flush’ situation.

tintin42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tintin42 »

To all those who think that TS might close before the AC deal is decided, Transat layed off that many people to save their money and survive longer instead of waisting money on empty plane. The way Transat is at idle now we have enough money to last more than a year. I think it's longer than most airline right now. How long would AC survive if it continues to operate the way it is now if the pendemy last? (honest question, I'm not trying to piss off more the AC pilots)

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Careful tintin I got called a degenerate for suggesting that.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

d

tintin42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tintin42 »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 am Careful tintin I got called a degenerate for suggesting that.
What did I suggest?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:15 am
Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 am
Some people are trying to turn a commercial agreement taken freely between two corporations in a government imposed aid package to save Air Transat from bankruptcy.

Back to the facts:

1) Air Canada made an unsolicited offer offer to buy Transat, which was not for sale.
2) The initial lower offer was increased to $18 after other entities attempted to outbid the AC offer
3) Air Canada asked the governments to approve the transaction
4) The governments will approve or refuse
5) If AC receives the green light allowing it to proceed with the purchase, it will be under no obligation to do so, only to abide by the agreement that the two parties signed.

The politicians have no say in this. None.
Gilles,

Good summary of the facts. But add one more fact - CR.

He has a track record of 100% success since taking over at AC and has never let a good crisis go to waste. No one who has gone up against him has come away unscathed. And he is the master of leverage.

His favourite quote? “Nothing focuses someone’s attention more than showing them their own grave”.

This is no longer a simple up or down choice. There are many new moving parts. And government will be involved in those discussions. But the final decision will rest with AC.
I thought it was “ Nothing focuses the mind like a hanging in the morning”.

I know same difference.

The key for him though is to get what he wants before a stay of execution is granted.

CR won’t let this go to waste.

Maybe something like seeking concessions from AC employees in exchange for bailing on the deal? He could easily get AC employees to pay the 40 million break fee.

I have my doubts this deal won’t become a condition of government industry support though. I think the events unfolding only make the deal more inevitable. Not at 18 bucks but a revised deal of some sort.

Rouge has now ceased operation. Those 320’s can flow back to mainline. 737 no longer needed. Ramp Transat up as leisure returns.

Maybe run Transat separate until everyone is recalled at AC? What do you think CR could extract for that? Oh the potential.

Demand Transat pilot's roll back their pay increase plus 10%.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

Fanblade wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 am
Maybe run Transat separate until everyone is recalled at AC? What do you think CR could extract for that? Oh the potential
"Never let a good crisis go to waste."

1. Buy transat for cheaper than now.

2. Negociate with ACPA, AC will pretend to bend and shut down Rouge while it was actually what they wanted to do anyways. Bring the rouge pilots back to mainline. Pilots think they ran the show.

3. In exchange ACPA will allow AC to have a complete seperate seniority list and OC with transat and all laid off pilots recalled at AC recalled (flat salary = cheap).

4. Slowly unload the rouge flights to transat.

Next recession/crisis (or sooner):

5. Rename Air Canada shares to a holding company ie "Maple leaf aviation holdings"

6. Transat becomes a domestic/LCC and AC does only international widebody flying.

7. Negociate with transat pilots to take a solid cut or AC will shut that operation down.

8. AC pilots forced to transfer to transat for B scale wages because of reductions of mainline flying.

Beauty

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Your "creative" theory ends at point two.

Scope isn't open for negotiations.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 am Your "creative" theory ends at point two.

True. But CR always had a Plan A/Plan B/Plan C for how TS was going to be added.

I saw Plan A as an ask to run it separately (no way).

I saw Plan B as an ask to consolidate TS with Rouge and increase the LCC footprint at AC (no way).

I saw Plan C as merging the Rouge pilots back in to mainline WAWCON, drop the Rouge OC, and designate TS as the LCC per the LCC LOU.

And I am sure that with what has happened in the past 3 weeks there may now be a Plan D/Plan E/Plan F. Or perhaps the fate of the initiative has become moot.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 am Your "creative" theory ends at point two.

Creating rouge wasn't up for negotiations before FOS.

Duke15
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke15 »

Sharklasers wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:29 am Not only that, the Transat pilots are basically snapshotted in their seats while laid off and AC is going to run a downbid and keep working. A lot of guys are going to loose their captaincies for a time and that will really hurt our position when it comes to a ‘no bump/flush’ situation.
Very valid point, hopefully ACPA will be able to negotiate well and we will use a snapshot of our current assignements as opposed to a future one

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am

True. But CR always had a Plan A/Plan B/Plan C for how TS was going to be added.
Not completely accurate. An arbitrator can not touch scope during the term. It does not prevent ACPA and the company voluntarily negotiating scope. For example there was an increase in Rouge Narrow bodies during the last reopener. Cargo was on the table for a bit.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Competition Board report on the acquisition is out

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn ... ompetition

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

For info Transat and AC got the report Monday afternoon, we got a briefing about the content and the fact that AC is still planning to go ahead with the transaction. Anyway the report is already outdated.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm For info Transat and AC got the report Monday afternoon, we got a briefing about the content and the fact that AC is still planning to go ahead with the transaction. Anyway the report is already outdated.
Its a smart move. Will replace rouge and keep jobs. Cant see why government would block it. TRZ share price is climbing too.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

aerodude wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm
FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm For info Transat and AC got the report Monday afternoon, we got a briefing about the content and the fact that AC is still planning to go ahead with the transaction. Anyway the report is already outdated.
TRZ share price is climbing too.
:prayer: :prayer: :rolleyes:

Return to “Air Transat”