Layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Parkex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Layoffs

Post by Parkex »

nottellin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:05 am
Parkex wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Even the most conservative investor could have easily lost 50% of their portfolio. The stock market as a whole lost 70% in value so actually the average person who didn't sell anything lost 70%. This has nothing to do with volatility, it is a crash.
Yikes, where did you get your MBA? Everest college? 😂
Thanks for rebutting the point and not reverting to personal attacks! My point is that people could have easily had their savings wiped out. Including people with ESOP's at AC.

The stock market took a shit and this has nothing to do with the volatility of the market.
---------- ADS -----------

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Parkex wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 am
Parkex wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Even the most conservative investor could have easily lost 50% of their portfolio. The stock market as a whole lost 70% in value so actually the average person who didn't sell anything lost 70%. This has nothing to do with volatility, it is a crash.
Thanks for rebutting the point and not reverting to personal attacks! My point is that people could have easily had their savings wiped out. Including people with ESOP's at AC.

The stock market took a shit and this has nothing to do with the volatility of the market.
It was a joke, sorry. :goodman:
But certain segments of market took a shit, others not so much. Look at bond funds vs equity funds. C'mon.. :?

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

nottellin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 am
Parkex wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 am

It was a joke, sorry. :goodman:
But certain segments of market took a shit, others not so much. Look at bond funds vs equity funds. C'mon.. :?
If you have your health , your family , and your friends than IMHO you are rich. Keep collecting your dividends and don't let your paper loss destroy your life. The markets are :D recovering and anybody that bought stocks on 03/20 is pleased with that bold move.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

He lost $700k but yes he started with $2.6M.

My point is his cheap ass couldn’t enjoy it and now it is gone. He doesn’t seem too worried. He still has lots.

My other point is the AC pilot that this retirement package targets has lots of money - already. But time is a resource that is limited no matter who you are. Even if the math tilts towards staying, what is the cost in terms of health & time?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

flashheart wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am He lost $700k but yes he started with $2.6M.

My point is his cheap ass couldn’t enjoy it and now it is gone. He doesn’t seem too worried. He still has lots.
Do I detect the makings of a “prodigal son” 😉😉

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

Saw this movie in the 2008 crash, lots of people either retired or nearing retirement getting burned when the markets drop and so do their retirement savings as they are too heavily invested in equities and other higher risk adventures.

A good rule of thumb is that the proportion of your retirement investments that should be in low risk investments (GIC's, bond, etc) should be your age. For example, if you're 70 years old 70% should be invested in low risk; the balance in higher risk such as equities. At the other end of the scale, someone in their 30's should be heavily invested in higher risk (70%) and lower risk (30%) as they have lots of time to recover from a stock market downturn.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Old fella wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 pm
flashheart wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am He lost $700k but yes he started with $2.6M.

Do I detect the makings of a “prodigal son” 😉😉
:lol:

Your missing the point :lol:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

My other point is the AC pilot that this retirement package targets has lots of money - already. But time is a resource that is limited no matter who you are. Even if the math tilts towards staying, what is the cost in terms of health & time?
I'm sorry but where do you get off calling someone cheap ass because they prefer to keep their money in their own pocket instead of putting into the hands of others? What makes you assume your dad doesn't enjoy his hard-earned money, or his life while he was accumulating it? That's presumptuous bordering on arrogance.

When I was working in the ME I got this all the time because I didn't drive a "pilot car", ie high-end Range Rover/BMW/Merc. Was perfectly happy with my used QX4, and I hardly lived like a monk - but I put the vast majority of my salary in my bank account, not into "glamorous meals" and "nice cars on vacation". I'm pretty glad about that now - no worries financially, WHATEVER the stock or job market does.

It sounds like you have more regrets than your dad does. With the better part of $2 million left his wealth is hardly "gone".

You've as much said that one is "crazy" to want to keep working if they don't absolutely have to, but again - who are you to say how someone chooses to spend their time OR money? Some people actually enjoy their flying job. Still. Risks and all. Not everyone chooses to live in fear that the dreaded coronavirus is an End Of Days event. It's true that people with a lot of wealth can still be very poor in spirit, but not everyone with money is miserable just because they don't share your spending habits.

Perhaps if a few more people had sacrificed like your dad, we wouldn't have entitled idiots planning to not pay their rent next month because they are broke and out of the game with a single month's loss of salary, and millions of people clamouring for the government to "save them". But hey, when you're busy livin' your best life on Insta, can't worry about the future, right?

Not like anyone's been warning people forever about not saving and taking on debt... :roll:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yeah, there's a lot to be said about having fock you money. I think it certainly would put the mind and stresses of the world at ease.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

complexintentions wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 am
I'm sorry but where do you get off calling someone cheap ass because they prefer to keep their money in their own pocket instead of putting into the hands of others? What makes you assume your dad doesn't enjoy his hard-earned money, or his life while he was accumulating it? That's presumptuous bordering on arrogance.

When I was working in the ME I got this all the time because I didn't drive a "pilot car", ie high-end Range Rover/BMW/Merc. Was perfectly happy with my used QX4, and I hardly lived like a monk - but I put the vast majority of my salary in my bank account, not into "glamorous meals" and "nice cars on vacation". I'm pretty glad about that now - no worries financially, WHATEVER the stock or job market does.

It sounds like you have more regrets than your dad does. With the better part of $2 million left his wealth is hardly "gone".

You've as much said that one is "crazy" to want to keep working if they don't absolutely have to, but again - who are you to say how someone chooses to spend their time OR money? Some people actually enjoy their flying job. Still. Risks and all. Not everyone chooses to live in fear that the dreaded coronavirus is an End Of Days event. It's true that people with a lot of wealth can still be very poor in spirit, but not everyone with money is miserable just because they don't share your spending habits.

Perhaps if a few more people had sacrificed like your dad, we wouldn't have entitled idiots planning to not pay their rent next month because they are broke and out of the game with a single month's loss of salary, and millions of people clamouring for the government to "save them". But hey, when you're busy livin' your best life on Insta, can't worry about the future, right?

Not like anyone's been warning people forever about not saving and taking on debt... :roll:
+1

Flashheart really should be apologizing to their Dad for those comments.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Kaykay wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am
complexintentions wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 am

+1

Flashheart really should be apologizing to their Dad for those comments.
Relax people, I’m sure it was said tongue in cheek, my kids called me a cheap bastard, I called my dad a cheap fucker and so on.
Some people prefer frugal, however when someone is too frugal because they don’t ever want to feel helpless again due to past times of being near broke, they compensate by not spending. This has obvious risks unless you keep your fortune under your mattress, believe me after my portfolio rebounds, I’m considering some type of mattress savings account, fortunately I have time on my side(no guarantees) but 16 or so years to retirement.
Perhaps this guys dad should’ve considered a less risky investment after retirement but I get the not spending thing, I’m currently reassessing where I can spend less and save more.
On that topic, those who are off now or expecting to be off, consider changing you vehicle insurance to pleasure vs all purpose(Manitoba) to save a few bucks(40/mth). Next, if my wife is off longer than expected we will completely park one vehicle and save another 100/mth.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

I'm definitely in the firing for layoff, survived the first cull but will definitely be on EI if there's a second wave. Instead of arguing whether someone invested his $2.6m wisely how about suggesting good ways to save money and keep paying the bills instead of deferring mortgages (a bad idea unless you have no choice).

1. We will park one car and save on insurance. $100
2. Down to one streaming service for kids, Netflix just because it has the most content. $20
3. Eat less meat, its by far the biggest expense in our groceries. $100
4. Home security will go, not really required if we're always at home $40
5. Finally going to purge the home phone $25
6. Fortunately all the kids programmes are gone. $350
7. SIngle Malt scotch $100 (so sad)

There will be more, but thats about $735 per month right there. Any other ideas much appreciated.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Turn down your thermostat at night. Ours is set to 68 at night and likely could go lower. Buy bulk if you can and don't buy outside of a flyer. Also buy what's in season. When you're driving accelerate less aggressively and drive at a more economical speed. Consolidate investment and banking accounts so you aren't paying multiple management fees. Switch to an equal billing plan for utilities. It won't save anything but equalizes payments.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

An excellent idea Tallyho. I have to admit that being frugal even in the best of times has left me rather at a loss on how to cut expenses. Probably should think about parking one car but I just renewed the insurance, not sure how much of a savings it would be.

I'd rethink your choice for #2, our Netflix has completely stopped working 80% of the time so we're going to cancel it.

I think you meant unfortunately in #6.

I have asked my wife to cut down on bubble tea but that's not going to happen, especially since I was always asking her to do that. This is the problem with nagging people about spending habits when you're making mad money, you have nothing new to say when you're on EI, especially since she's the only one working :lol:. What a nightmare.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Always check with GasBuddy for the lowest prices on gasoline.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

- change that cellphone plan (do you still need international/US coverage?)
- learn to do your own small car maintenance. if you drive old junk and don't care about resale value or warranty: oil changes are not mandatory every year
- braking is what makes you burn more fuel. avoid roads with stop signs, or with cops around stop signs
- drink only water. It's the healthiest and cheapest drink available.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

tallyho wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:05 pm 3. Eat less meat, its by far the biggest expense in our groceries. $100
At superstore, in the meat counter where they keep the wieners. 1.5 kilo of beef wieners, 15 bucks. Right beside it, 1.5 kilo chicken wieners, 6 bucks. Cheaper than dog food, I buy them for dog treats, cost far less than what you find for treats in the dog food aisle, and the puppy loves them. Your kids will love them. 39 wieners in that pack. They are great diced and into the macaroni casserole, half the price of hamburger to put some meat in the casserole.

I've always told the kids, keep a big sack of rice in the cupboard. The day will come when money is tight, that 20lb sack of rice will feed you for a month. Learn to be creative making various meals from that bag. Son texted me a photo last nite, fancy rice dish. His comment, not laid off yet, but, getting in practice....

Baking bread is trivially easy once you get the hang of it. A 20 kilo sack of flour from Costco will make a LOT of loaves of bread. We have been baking our own bread for the last 20+ years. I shudder walking by the bread aisle in the store and see a decent loaf of bread costs upwards of 5 bucks, and the run of the mill cheap stuff is still a couple bucks. If you have a kitchen aid stand mixer, learn to use the dough hook. If you dont, well, you need the exercise so knead it by hand. Fresh baked buns at lunch time, fabulous. We buy the 20 kilo sack of Rogers flour at Costco, it rises better than the Robin Hood stuff you see at the regular grocery stores.

If the kids are young, and you are going to be stuck at home spending a lot of time due to 'shelter at home' edicts, bake cookies. You can keep a herd of young kids engaged for an hour or more baking a batch of cookies. They absolutely love to lick the beaters, clean the mixing bowls, watch the cookies bake, then cool, and in the end everybody gets to eat them. Again, for the price of a small bag of store bought cookies, you can bake up a huge batch yourself, especially if you cut the chocolate chip count to 1/4 of what the recipe calls for.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

All flour and baking powder has been sold out here for weeks.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

I'm not even sure how to respond to that thrashing other than to say I fortunately live down the road from my parents and not in the middle East so I know intimately his cheapness.

For the record - he is not cheap to others, but cheap to himself.

I take it youre not buying any beers on layovers. Keep counting those bucks over there and may I never fly with your jaded self

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Double post

Last edited by shimmydampner on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”