Small aircraft loading

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Small aircraft loading

Post by PilotDAR »

Not saying its right im just saying I have never seen someone break out the pen and paper or the wheel before they get in.
Well... I was glad I had when I was ramp checked by TC at the dock in Yellowknife after I pulled up in the 185. I had all of my paperwork, including a written W&B for the flight, and my cargo was tied down, and TC was happy. I have been told by another pilot, that he was ramped at that dock before departing, and actually violated for not having a W&B prepared.

Yes, there are times I fly planes I know, knowing that they are not at gross, and within limits, so I'm not trying to say that I write out a W&B every time, I don't. But, if in doubt/it's a new plane to me/it's an uncertain load/ I need to make the every most of the airplane's capability, I'll do a written W&B.

For the benefit of those pilots who choose not to exert the effort to renew their skills in doing a W&B, when I'm doing an approval which involves W&B, one aspect will be a reality check - will this mod allow the plane to be easily loaded out of limits? If so, I will take additional action to reduce the risk of the airplane being loaded out of limits, which has included my declining approving the mod.

I repeat that an airplane will fly a little out of limits, but if you bugger up your flying, it might be unrecoverable - you'll be lucky if you live to explain how you misloaded the plane, 'cause the TSB will figure out that you did....

In the information age, with all kinds of software which makes it so easy, why are people making posts intimating that a W&B calculation is not needed, when there is doubt about the plane being loaded within limits?
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

mr.aviation wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:59 pm
Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 pm
mr.aviation wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm best advice I could give is heaviest stuff as far forward as you can get it. Put light stuff at the back and that will lock the other stuff from shifting back. If it is not a full load then ropes and nets work well. Take advantage of float compartments (although you almost always forget you put something in there) and put beer under the seats. As for the weight and balance if it is on floats look at the back of the floats but also the spreader bar. If the spreader bar is close to water and back of floats are under you are heavy but ok. If the back are under but the spreader bar is far up you are aft c of g. If the plane is on wheels and is nose wheel such as a 206/ 182 you can lift up on the prop and how much force it took and if it will come back down after you lift up will tell you if your aft. Tail wheel loaded you wont be able to lift the tail even if its OK. I have never had a plane be to nose heavy loaded unless its an external load. I have only ever had them be nose heavy empty and on bigger float planes. Biggest piece of information is just put as much weight as far forward as you can and you will be good.
As for some of the worst stuff to fly I have been told ladders and trusses are scary to fly. Apparently the rungs create a huge amount of drag and can blanket the tail.
Its possible to load an Islander too nose heavy. They'll still fly, but you run out of trim and need considerable force with full flap on landing.

use less flap and carry more power and speed. I have flown a few planes that are nose heavy empty just not loaded. All of them I just take less flap and keep the power in to add more air over the tail.
There are only 2 flap settings in the Islander - 25 degrees for take-off and 56 degrees for landing. There is no feasible way to stop them between these settings (pulling the breaker will do it, but the breaker panel is not easily accessed and not something your focussed on short final). As you can imagine, there is a significant difference in the landing distance required between these two settings. The same with speed - even 5 kts fast will significantly increase landing distance. 10-15 kts fast and take-off flap and it simply won't land. They're pretty impressive little machines.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I have flown a few planes that are nose heavy empty just not loaded. All of them I just take less flap and keep the power in to add more air over the tail.
If it is necessary to use flap setting other than those specified in the flight manual, you're doing it wrong, and correct what is wrong, before you continue to fly it wrong.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”