Hockey Night in Canada

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hockey Night in Canada

Post by Main Gear »

Welcome back. Gotta love it. :partyman: :partyman: :partyman:
---------- ADS -----------

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Juggs »

Hockey night in Canada sends its thanks. (I think)

JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

I am hoping Grapes was getting off a cold. His voice is getting raspy when he got emotional...I hope it was not a sign of things to come with him.
Tough old bugger...

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Caught the game. Nice to have it back. Too bad Toronto. You guys really have to work on D. I for one however could do without Don Cherry. In my opinion he is the lowlight of Hockey Night.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

The raspy thing freaked me out too. Maybe he is getting possesed by the ghost of Howie Meeker!

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

turned the volume up nice and loud! for the opening. i almost felt a tear forming in my eye. gonna be a great winter. CID your opinion of GRAPES is a lonely one to have. i saw an artical one time that said more people watch the 5mins of Coaches Corner that the two national news broadcasts combined.
i love the guy. enjoy the hockey boys.
jet

Beechball
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Beechball »

His voice is O.K, it's just that aside for Ryder and Higgins, it's just the Europeans scoring for Montreal. Gets him a little choked up, that's all.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

CID your opinion of GRAPES is a lonely one to have.
Yah I know. Most hockey fans like Jerry Springer too.
:)

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

The Toronto vs Montreal game was a barn burner!

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Doc, totally agree. I also caught the Vancouver/Edmonton game later at night. It was pretty exciting. Decided in the shoot out.

In my opinion though, the Edmonton fans showed little class in booing Bertuzzi everytime he touched the puck.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

CID,
you don't like Grapes
your complaining that a guy gets booed,
You really are not a true hockey fan are you, that kinda thing happens ALL the time, quite honestly I would have booed to, bertuzzi is a great hockey player but a jackass for what he did.

I for one though couldn't be happier to see hockey back, the montreal-toronto game, last 12 min were amazing.

Oh, and nice to see crosby finally pop his cherry, 3 points last night, not to bad

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I dont think Bertuzzi should even be allowed back in the league!! Typical NHL...all bark....no bite!

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Bertuzzi was just a victim of circumstance. What he did was pretty common in the NHL at the time. His unfortunate luck was that it resulted in a serious injury. In my opinion he was treated as a scapegoat by the NHL.

There have been plenty of cheap shots in the past and there will be more.

Yah I'm a hockey fan, but I've got a bit of class. Thats why I recognize Don Cherry as nothing but a wind bag and the Edmonton fans as classless.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. We can pretend that I'm Ron McLean (mild mannered good guy) and you can be Don Cherry (blustery racist xenophobe). They don't always agree either. But Ron is known as the "face of hockey" in Canada and many consider Don the "ass".

Who draws more viewers? Just like in real life, we would all chose to watch the train wreck over the train ride!

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Hey CID. Initially, I thought that booing Bertuzzi was low class until I remembered that he has always been booed in Edmonton. I'm an Edmonton fan, and I like Bertuzzi. For the record, I defended Bertuzzi in the Moore incident because I thought he was crucified by the media and the league. I presume that when you refer to "Edmonton fans" as classless, you only meant those in attendance on Saturday? And perhaps for the wrong reason? :roll:
I remember Ontarians booing the American anthem in 1996 at the Air Canada Center - now that was classless. Even Mr. Cherry said so.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I remember Ontarians booing the American anthem in 1996 at the Air Canada Center - now that was classless.
Totally agree.
For the record, I defended Bertuzzi in the Moore incident because I thought he was crucified by the media and the league.
Ditto.

What do you guys think of the new rules? Too soon to tell? I think so far the results are positive.

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

the aircanada centre didn't exist in 1996. i do recall montreal fans acting is such a manner not to long ago, with reguards the the americans.
jet.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Hey Jet, yes it was montreal at the molson centre about 3-4 years ago.

The new rules, I don't mind other than the shoot out, sure shoot outs are fun to watch put to determine who gets the point, i don't know, just not a fan of that.

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

I like the new rules. I like the fact that the dump and chase and trap are gone. However, I don't care for restricting the goalies puck movement. I've always believed that if a goalie is not set up for a shot, and leaves his crease to play the puck - he is fair game for a hit. But I'm also a lacrosse player, so that says something. I don't mind the shoot out since it is only for one point. However, I don't like it deciding a gold medal or a play-off game. All and all, it is fun to watch again.
Jet you may be right. Wherever it was (ya, maybe Montreal?) it was in the Canada Cup game U.S.A. vs Canada. Canadian fans booed the American anthem. Worse yet? American womens hockey team using the Canadian flag to wipe their skates on the dressing room floor.
Anyway, I have something to do on Saturday nights again :wink:

Nightshiftzombie
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nightshiftzombie »

The shootouts are stupid. They aren't exciting the are boring. They might as well have the two team captains arm wrestle at centre ice to decide the game.

"Thats what the Internet is for stupid. Slandering others anonymously."
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

HAHA, yeah just I forgot about that with the americans, but we got them bastards back after we won the gold by offering to sign it for them :D :D

Return to “The Water Cooler”