WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Post by tbayav8er »

Swoop pilots got a reduced block of 53 hours on an MOA for April. (To be clear, I'm not a Swoop pilot. Just saw the MOA).
---------- ADS -----------

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

tbayav8er wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am Swoop pilots got a reduced block of 53 hours on an MOA for April. (To be clear, I'm not a Swoop pilot. Just saw the MOA).
what about those in training?

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

CanadianPilotQc wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 am
tbayav8er wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am Swoop pilots got a reduced block of 53 hours on an MOA for April. (To be clear, I'm not a Swoop pilot. Just saw the MOA).
At Encore, the current trainees I believe are going home and getting paid the MMG for now. Training is suspended at the moment, as far as I know. Not sure about Swoop.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

tbayav8er wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:03 am
CanadianPilotQc wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 am
At Encore, the current trainees I believe are going home and getting paid the MMG for now. Training is suspended at the moment, as far as I know. Not sure about Swoop.
It's an interesting time... the trainees are going to be making money while there are others who are applying for EI.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Spanish Flu, was named as such due to propaganda efforts during the First World War. H1N1 (also known as the Spanish Flu) was ravaging all sides during the finale of the war; but it was seen as being detrimental to morale to talk about the scourge of the disease whilst the boys were slogging it out. So, the focus was changed - and being that the Spanish King had a nasty case of the flu; Spanish Flu was born.

We actually don't know where the bloody thing originated, lots of theories though...

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

The virus, SARS-Cov2 is a member of the coronavirus family of viruses, and causes the disease, COVID-19. There are currently 2 strains of the virus as it mutated early on during communal spread in Wuhan.

Italian politicians had a lukewarm, half committed response to the pandemic early on. 630 people died yesterday. 800 people died today. Italy has already surpassed China in total deaths. I predict they will pass them in total cases by the end of March, sadly. This is what half measures, and exponential growth look like.

I'm proud to live in a country where we listen to scientists and take preventative measures to try to avoid ending up in Italy's shoes. I don't give a sh** what the person running our country's name is, as long as it isn't Trump and they prevent exponential growth and succeed in flattening the curve. They're outsourcing disposing of bodies in Italy because they're piling up too fast and they don't have the resources to burn them (forget funerals, this is prime communal spreading grounds).

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that New York city may be heading in that direction.

No, it's not just a flu. No, it's not only dangerous for old people. No, we shouldn't panic, but we should be strategic and realistic. The reality is that if every country banned travel and forced quarantines on every citizen for 2 weeks, and 100 percent of citizens obeyed the quarantine perfectly, this would be over.

Life will go on. The economy will recover, and eventually airlines will recover too. This will likely occur in waves of spread/incidence, and during the lulls perhaps airlines that survive can have a small return to significant revenue. But to regard this as anything other than a once/century pandemic is naive, and dangerous.

Flame away. Just wash your damn hands and keep your distance from people.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:46 pm In this era we are all very, very quick to de-identify, de-gender-ify, and de-culture-ify so as not to offend anyone or any group, even if that behavior results in millions of deaths over time. That's political correctness gone amok.

Problem is, especially in this instance, the reason the outbreak occurred in the first place gets lost in "political and racial correctness" even when it is in humanities very best interest to identify how it spawned in the first place, and take measures to ensure it doesn't keep happening. Culture be damned.

Flame away.
I couldn't care less what it's called, or who it offends. I read some very uninformed, dangerous and stupid comments on here and wanted to offer some reality and facts (and yes, my opinion in some cases, which I tried to clearly distinguish).

And I totally agree that there should be mountains moved in order to prevent this from happening again, however uncomfortable the answers are. But now isn't the time. Now is about minimizing the death toll, and minimizing how long this thing wreaks havoc on the world for.

Step 1 is for all of us to accept reality.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Right….lets do damage control for now. But when its over, and people have visions of empty streets, empty grocery shelves, loved ones on ventilators, empty bank accounts and poor job prospects lets then look carefully at the cause so it doesn't happen again.

Remember AIDS, or SARS? Same cause.

You think we would have learned. Bush meat, live animal markets, and the cultures that drive them. Refusing to acknowledge it will destroy us if we don't get it. We've been warned THREE times now.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm Right….lets do damage control for now. But when its over, and people have visions of empty streets, empty grocery shelves, loved ones on ventilators, empty bank accounts and poor job prospects lets then look carefully at the cause so it doesn't happen again.

Remember AIDS, or SARS? Same cause.

You think we would have learned. Bush meat, live animal markets, and the cultures that drive them. Refusing to acknowledge it will destroy us if we don't get it. We've been warned THREE times now.
I'm with you there brother.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Just as terrifying as the “bush meat” in China is the level of antibiotics pumped into the animals in North America. We are going to have our own disease issues from all the antibiotics resistant superbugs that are evolving as a result.

Before anyone gets on me for it I know that covid 19 is a virus and not a bacterial infection so antibiotics aren’t for it.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Is it still just a hiring freeze at WestJet or have pilot layoffs begun?

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Dry Guy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am Is it still just a hiring freeze at WestJet or have pilot layoffs begun?
No layoffs for now. MOA until April 30th, reduced hours 55 MMG at mainline and 53 hrs at Swoop.....reduces costs and gives time to assess and plan.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Very pleased to see the company communicating with the employee group with daily updates/briefings and webinars. Hang in there folks! The next little while will get rough but once we hit the bottom the only direction is up.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

sjatana wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm Very pleased to see the company communicating with the employee group with daily updates/briefings and webinars. Hang in there folks! The next little while will get rough but once we hit the bottom the only direction is up.
Unless the bottom is bankruptcy or the chop shop.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Curiousflyer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 am
sjatana wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm Very pleased to see the company communicating with the employee group with daily updates/briefings and webinars. Hang in there folks! The next little while will get rough but once we hit the bottom the only direction is up.
Unless the bottom is bankruptcy or the chop shop.
Funny enough, I'm at the bottom.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Hard to say, is westjet alpa facing layoffs?

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

JoeyBarton wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:07 pm Hard to say, is westjet alpa facing layoffs?
Yes. Significant ones. We should know more this week. ALPA and the company are meeting to figure out numbers and possible mitigation, etc.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

JoeyBarton wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:07 pm Hard to say, is westjet alpa facing layoffs?
530-1700

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Blue42 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:06 pm
530-1700
That’s a pretty big split, what is the deciding factor for the lower versus upper range?
How many pilots total at WJ, including Encore and Swoop?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

2300 total

1700 is doing nothing and leaving 77.5 mmg 530 is extreme measures which we have not seen.

Return to “WestJet”