A "NEW" One List?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: A "NEW" One List?

Post by JBI »

Impact wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm
I don't pay 2% of my salary for some ALPA rep to blow sunshine up my a** about the "resources" they have at their disposal, and now try to guilt me into feeling sorry for them for having do their job. Working 14-20 hours a day? That one made me chuckle. :lol:
If you felt bede was trying to make you feel sorry for any of the ALPA staff or reps you have a very different scope of reading comprehension than I do. Nonetheless, our ALPA laywers and financial analysts did indeed work 14-20 hours a day over the last few weeks. Conference and video calls & negotiations consistently went to til past midnight in YYC (2am out in DC) and they were constantly involved in the meetings.

Whether you feel that's worth 1.85% of your salary is up to you.
---------- ADS -----------

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I dont understand why some people do not support their representation. More communication is always nice but these people are working for the long term viability of your careers. The company would gut your profession down to nothing if they could, after lay off you would have only swoop to return to at 1/5 the wages. They are not on your side and never will be. Look at them play you now. Compare that with AC.

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

JBI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm
I don't pay 2% of my salary for some ALPA rep to blow sunshine up my a** about the "resources" they have at their disposal, and now try to guilt me into feeling sorry for them for having do their job. Working 14-20 hours a day? That one made me chuckle. :lol:
If you felt bede was trying to make you feel sorry for any of the ALPA staff or reps you have a very different scope of reading comprehension than I do. Nonetheless, our ALPA laywers and financial analysts did indeed work 14-20 hours a day over the last few weeks. Conference and video calls & negotiations consistently went to til past midnight in YYC (2am out in DC) and they were constantly involved in the meetings.

And may I ask what these ALPA Lawyers and financial analysts are getting paid? I would suspect, quite handsomely. I have very little sympathy for them if indeed they did put in what equates to an IROP day.. Bringing "kids" into the discussion was a nice touch though. That's a classic "pull the heart strings" move. :wink:

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Impact wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:45 pm
And may I ask what these ALPA Lawyers and financial analysts are getting paid? I would suspect, quite handsomely. I have very little sympathy for them if indeed they did put in what equates to an IROP day.. Bringing "kids" into the discussion was a nice touch though. That's a classic "pull the heart strings" move. :wink:
Again, how you read Bede's post as a "pull the heart strings" move is beyond me. The question was "where were the experts during the negotiations?" Bede responded. No one is looking for your sympathy.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

JBI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm

If they truly worked that long and hard... well i can only think of one word to describe it. Incompetence.

Madman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Madman »

RRJetPilot wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm I dont understand why some people do not support their representation. More communication is always nice but these people are working for the long term viability of your careers. The company would gut your profession down to nothing if they could, after lay off you would have only swoop to return to at 1/5 the wages. They are not on your side and never will be. Look at them play you now. Compare that with AC.
How old is WJ? How long has ALPA been here? I think WJ pilots did a pretty good job until ALPA showed up on property. WJ came a long way from its humble beginnings and it didn’t include ALPA.
Saying we’d return to 1/5 the wages if ALPA wasn’t here is, and should be considered insulting, by every one of us.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

If any body here is going to question the Pilots representing you than I highly recommend you volunteer to any committee, sign up to be a Rep or Negotiator to see what actually truly goes on. Until you fill a role like this, you have zero clue what goes on behind the scenes for YOU.
Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:27 pm If they truly worked that long and hard... well i can only think of one word to describe it. Incompetence.
So you think Negotiations are a 9-5 gig where everyone drinks coffee, goes home and gets a deal done? Sorry but when you are literally throwing tens of millions of dollars around it takes time and alot of it. From the acceptance of the offer, to the hours it could take for you in your own conference room to go through it with a fine tooth comb and than run your own financials on it. This process repeats countless times until a deal is done. When I was doing it, there was countless days where we would start at 8 am and end at 2 am. Does that make us incompetent for working so hard to get a deal done?

Question, when your doing a deal are you one that goes in at $15, company offers $8 so you kindly say ok lets do $10.50 on the next pass and call it a day?

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

"Humble Beginnings"?

You had CB running around telling ALL the employees, that if they even thought of forming a union HE would shut the place down. Talk about a Dictator ...

Flyer

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Madman wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 pm
RRJetPilot wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm I dont understand why some people do not support their representation. More communication is always nice but these people are working for the long term viability of your careers. The company would gut your profession down to nothing if they could, after lay off you would have only swoop to return to at 1/5 the wages. They are not on your side and never will be. Look at them play you now. Compare that with AC.
How old is WJ? How long has ALPA been here? I think WJ pilots did a pretty good job until ALPA showed up on property. WJ came a long way from its humble beginnings and it didn’t include ALPA.
Saying we’d return to 1/5 the wages if ALPA wasn’t here is, and should be considered insulting, by every one of us.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah they did a pretty good job lowering the pay in Canada, being constantly fed the koolaid; “for the greater good”. Sounds like communist Russia. Add in cleaning garbage on the planes, for god sakes, have some respect for your profession. You are a professional with lives in your hands. Yet you played janitor. Glad that’s over. Your humble beginnings were stealing route and pax info from the garbages at AC. Think they lost that law suit? AC donated the funds to charity. How bout recently hiring people to fly on AC and take notes to copy the business service. Your union works for you. The company can give two shits, you would be cleaning the toilets if they had it their way.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Impact reminds me of the guy who sends asinine emails to his reps, constantly harassing them thinking that they get a month of flight relief and do nothing. Then they get a call from the CP that they're OPI (off pending investigation) and all of a sudden they're the rep's best friend.

If you don't like your union step up and become a rep or volunteer on a committee. If that's not your thing, the next best thing is to STFU.

PS. Yes 14-20 hours. I woke up in the morning and saw a string of emails from the same people strung 2 hours apart all night long.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

RRJetPilot wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:43 pm How bout recently hiring people to fly on AC and take notes to copy the business service.
Just an FYI, AC has done the exact same thing for years. They send employees on competitors turns to analyze their processes. Always non-union office folks, it's a fact, and standard industry practice.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm If any body here is going to question the Pilots representing you than I highly recommend you volunteer to any committee, sign up to be a Rep or Negotiator to see what actually truly goes on. Until you fill a role like this, you have zero clue what goes on behind the scenes for YOU.
Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:27 pm If they truly worked that long and hard... well i can only think of one word to describe it. Incompetence.
So you think Negotiations are a 9-5 gig where everyone drinks coffee, goes home and gets a deal done? Sorry but when you are literally throwing tens of millions of dollars around it takes time and alot of it. From the acceptance of the offer, to the hours it could take for you in your own conference room to go through it with a fine tooth comb and than run your own financials on it. This process repeats countless times until a deal is done. When I was doing it, there was countless days where we would start at 8 am and end at 2 am. Does that make us incompetent for working so hard to get a deal done?

Question, when your doing a deal are you one that goes in at $15, company offers $8 so you kindly say ok lets do $10.50 on the next pass and call it a day?
In short. Yes I do think they just drink coffee. ALPA that is

Anyways I'm just trolling alittle. The reality is I dont like them for my own reasons. But you make up your own mind.

I feel bad for my colleagues and I hope we all get better working conditions.

Ill see everyone on this form in 2 years hopefully making money again.

Best of luck

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

The game is afoot.

Attachments
screengrab.jpg
screengrab.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Bede wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:12 pm Impact reminds me of the guy who sends asinine emails to his reps, constantly harassing them thinking that they get a month of flight relief and do nothing. Then they get a call from the CP that they're OPI (off pending investigation) and all of a sudden they're the rep's best friend.

If you don't like your union step up and become a rep or volunteer on a committee. If that's not your thing, the next best thing is to STFU.

PS. Yes 14-20 hours. I woke up in the morning and saw a string of emails from the same people strung 2 hours apart all night long.
Seems like I hit a nerve. And no, I won't STFU. Are you suggesting that if I disagree with a union rep/committee, that I be silenced? Why am I not surprised by your reaction. Typical union move.

Unity. :smt008

Return to “WestJet”