The Return to Normal?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: The Return to Normal?

Post by RippleRock »

goldeneagle wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:10 am
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am but remember most Medical Professionals are just "auto mechanics" for humans.
Pretty sure most of those medical professionals would suggest an airline pilot is just a glorified bus driver....
Yes, I'm sure. There are thousands of Doctors that are promoting herd immunity. Most are smarter than you and I combined.

Their voices are being actively subdued.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Rockie, I've flown with you. I have had hours long conversations with you. I found you quite close minded and opinionated. From what I've read on here, you're no different.

Continue advocating this "total-lockdown" "social distancing" insanity if you wish, but remember most Medical Professionals are just "auto mechanics" for humans. Few if any stand back and look at the big picture as it isn't their forte. The only exposure most have had to a Pandemic has been in second year "medical history 205". They are champions of the "zero deaths" concept which is totally unrealistic in a complex scenario that is presenting itself here.

History will be our biggest teacher. Hindsight will be 20/20, it always is. There are obviously huge errors being made that will be written about for decades. The most obvious of which will be the neglect in the early months in the long term care homes. They should have been the first isolated. The death toll would have been half if this was done. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Herd immunity, that us "internet trolls" are preaching has done us extremely well as a species for tens of thousands of years. It has got us through far, far worse over epocs of existance. Humanity is being extremely naïve in thinking that they are smarter than Mother Nature's "tried and true, herd immunity".

We are not advanced enough in the medical field to "redesign" and usurp natures way of taking care of its creatures genetic health and makeup. It's again naïve and arrogant to think otherwise. For that we will all pay. Rockie, go ahead and advocate JT's "spastic" inconsistent and directionless reactionary shutdown, and the spewing of massive amounts of tax dollars at the problem. Until he and his Provincial counterparts find a positive, definite exit strategy that doesn't include locking down healthy people with perfectly functioning immune systems and continues an undefined course hoping for a "Miracle vaccine", this "closed-for-business police state" will continue on it's mad course toward economic ruin. We aren't that far off at this rate.
Just curious, because clearly you haven’t budged, how did herd immunity work for the Spanish flu? Estimate of 50 to 100 million dead, majority healthy people during the second wave, I’m mean of the tens of thousands of years the species has evolved, 100 years ago might as well be yesterday, is 50 million deaths ok for your freedom to go out without restriction or business to carry on unrestricted.
Have you yourself gone out to test your theory? Licked a few doorknobs, in the name of science?
We have learned from history, do some reading on past pandemics, the one constant I see is the lockdown, distancing or some version of it.
Anyhow, easing of restrictions are on going and we shall see how that pans out but my sensibilities tell me, it’s too soon but what do I know, I’m just listening to the experts.
Care to comment on Brazil’s method, seems they went the way you advocated, I see how well that’s turning out.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Rockie wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:42 pm The best plan would be to isolate all the morons, but that’s not possible either.
I'm with you with this one!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Rockie, I've flown with you
I doubt it.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am I found you quite close minded and opinionated.
Really? How much has your opinion changed in the course of this conversation?
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Continue advocating this "total-lockdown"
Never have, and neither have the health professionals. Try reading some stuff from normal news outlets without your shit-coloured glasses on.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Herd immunity, that us "internet trolls" are preaching has done us extremely well as a species for tens of thousands of years. It has got us through far, far worse over epocs of existance.
I can't believe this still needs to be said, but the goal here is to not kill millions of people while attaining a level of immunity.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 am Yes, I'm sure. There are thousands of Doctors that are promoting herd immunity. Most are smarter than you and I combined.

QAnon strikes again....

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Rockie wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 pm
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Rockie, I've flown with you
I doubt it.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am I found you quite close minded and opinionated.
Really? How much has your opinion changed in the course of this conversation?
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Continue advocating this "total-lockdown"
Never have, and neither have the health professionals. Try reading some stuff from normal news outlets without your shit-coloured glasses on.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Herd immunity, that us "internet trolls" are preaching has done us extremely well as a species for tens of thousands of years. It has got us through far, far worse over epocs of existance.
I can't believe this still needs to be said, but the goal here is to not kill millions of people while attaining a level of immunity.
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 am Yes, I'm sure. There are thousands of Doctors that are promoting herd immunity. Most are smarter than you and I combined.

QAnon strikes again....
we have no choice but to do what we're doing anyway
This thread is like watching NBC and Fox talk about each other.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Continue advocating this "total-lockdown" "social distancing" insanity if you wish, but remember most Medical Professionals are just "auto mechanics" for humans. Few if any stand back and look at the big picture as it isn't their forte. The only exposure most have had to a Pandemic has been in second year "medical history 205". They are champions of the "zero deaths" concept which is totally unrealistic in a complex scenario that is presenting itself here.

History will be our biggest teacher. Hindsight will be 20/20, it always is. There are obviously huge errors being made that will be written about for decades. The most obvious of which will be the neglect in the early months in the long term care homes. They should have been the first isolated. The death toll would have been half if this was done. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Herd immunity, that us "internet trolls" are preaching has done us extremely well as a species for tens of thousands of years. It has got us through far, far worse over epocs of existance. Humanity is being extremely naïve in thinking that they are smarter than Mother Nature's "tried and true, herd immunity".

We are not advanced enough in the medical field to "redesign" and usurp natures way of taking care of its creatures genetic health and makeup. It's again naïve and arrogant to think otherwise. For that we will all pay. Rockie, go ahead and advocate JT's "spastic" inconsistent and directionless reactionary shutdown, and the spewing of massive amounts of tax dollars at the problem. Until he and his Provincial counterparts find a positive, definite exit strategy that doesn't include locking down healthy people with perfectly functioning immune systems and continues an undefined course hoping for a "Miracle vaccine", this "closed-for-business police state" will continue on it's mad course toward economic ruin. We aren't that far off at this rate.
Please explain by what metric herd immunity "has done us extremely well as a species." If, as you say "history will be our biggest teacher" then maybe you could explain how the Black Death was a riotous success story for pre-vaccination herd immunity. Up to 200 million dead and up to 60% of Europe's population wiped out, yet the plague still exists today. (Interestingly, it is during this time that quarantine and isolation were invented and they are credited with the eventual end of the plague, along with improvements in sanitation and hygiene and perhaps the Great Fire of London.) I'm no expert on pandemics, but since you're presenting a lot of opinion as fact, maybe you could enlighten us with historical examples of a naturally developed herd immunity to a potentially fatal virus that did not involve isolation or inoculation and didn't result in huge numbers of deaths. I'm genuinely curious because it seems like your argument boils down to simply advocating for natural selection over modern medicine and science.

JoeShithe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JoeShithe »

Maybe consider this..

The planet is the patient, humans are the virus and coronavirus is the vaccine.

The federal deficit is estimated now at $186 Billion up from $28 Billion. Provincial and territorial deficits are estimated at $63 Billion combined. Municipalities are running serious deficits.

This is spending, who knows what the tax shortfall will be.

I’m sympathetic but realistic. It’s past the point of recovery for either the economy or coronavirus.

I’m going back to my treehouse!

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

co-joe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:06 pm
rudder wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm
Hiring cycles were:

1973-1974
1978-1980
1985-1990
1995-2000
2005-2008
2010-2020

Avg break between cycles was 4-5 years and for the most part coincided with recession in the economic cycle.

The last decade been an anomaly. Hopefully the length of this recession will be an anomaly as well.

Or I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...
Does Quoting lines from the movie Airplane count as aviation content ?

The Planet survived the Dinosaurs , it will survive Mankind . I just hope the other species we abuse do not evolve and dominate us . Although if we evolved from apes , why are the Apes still here ?
I feel sorry for the Monkeys and Apes that are being used to test the vaccines on . Could we pay poor people , who need a job to do it ? Or maybe some of those billionaire's that want to microchip and enforce sterilization would volunteer , or be voluntold :)

Jimmyh787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jimmyh787 »

A recent study from the CDC based on actual Covid-19 data.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

JoeShithe wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 pm Maybe consider this..

The planet is the patient, humans are the virus and coronavirus is the vaccine.

The federal deficit is estimated now at $186 Billion up from $28 Billion. Provincial and territorial deficits are estimated at $63 Billion combined. Municipalities are running serious deficits.

This is spending, who knows what the tax shortfall will be.

I’m sympathetic but realistic. It’s past the point of recovery for either the economy or coronavirus.

I’m going back to my treehouse!
There is no sugar-coating it...the numbers paint a grim picture. We are inevitably doomed to be stuck in a tug-of-war of economic damage vs health restrictions until a vaccine is available.

Say what you will about media hysteria, but people saw COVID hit Italy, Spain, and NYC the way it did, and they got spooked. The average modern human has low mental toughness and when they hear about refrigerator trucks for corpses, or overwhelmed hospitals, or the first-hand accounts from the frontline workers, they get frightened. It’s too late to come back from that. The pandemic has clearly scared people and it’s the fear that’s the most damaging part. Fear of death and dying, in small numbers or great numbers...it’s that innate fear that had people eating up all the media hysteria in the first place! Hello! That’s how they sell stories. They may exploit it, but it’s still there. It’s too bad people can’t be more tough, eh?

I think it’s obvious now that the world is going to change significantly because of this virus. This is a big chapter in history now, and this is only the beginning.

That said, do your best to enjoy the life you have, even if that means being away from aviation. We are all going to die one day. Sometimes we get sh*t thrown our way, but we can’t let it make us miserable. I believe that the more adaptable we can become, the happier we will be.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Porter delays service until July 29th:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2020/05/26 ... o-july-29/

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

47north wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 pm Porter delays service until July 29th:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2020/05/26 ... o-july-29/
The issue with Porter is a large % of their routes are to the US. Until the 14 day restriction is lifted I don't see Porter coming back.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

shimmydampner wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm
RippleRock wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Continue advocating this "total-lockdown" "social distancing" insanity if you wish, but remember most Medical Professionals are just "auto mechanics" for humans. Few if any stand back and look at the big picture as it isn't their forte. The only exposure most have had to a Pandemic has been in second year "medical history 205". They are champions of the "zero deaths" concept which is totally unrealistic in a complex scenario that is presenting itself here.

Please explain by what metric herd immunity "has done us extremely well as a species." If, as you say "history will be our biggest teacher" then maybe you could explain how the Black Death was a riotous success story for pre-vaccination herd immunity. Up to 200 million dead and up to 60% of Europe's population wiped out, yet the plague still exists today. (Interestingly, it is during this time that quarantine and isolation were invented and they are credited with the eventual end of the plague, along with improvements in sanitation and hygiene and perhaps the Great Fire of London.) I'm no expert on pandemics, but since you're presenting a lot of opinion as fact, maybe you could enlighten us with historical examples of a naturally developed herd immunity to a potentially fatal virus that did not involve isolation or inoculation and didn't result in huge numbers of deaths. I'm genuinely curious because it seems like your argument boils down to simply advocating for natural selection over modern medicine and science.
How do you explain our extremely effective and complex immune system? Unless “aliens” created it for us, it was developed by eons of exposure. Those that survived propagated the species. It’s grade 8 biology bud.

We have to accept that living on this planet may require on occasion, that Darwin’s Theory be exercised.

It’s not Rocket Surgery. Not surprised my logic is lost on some when I consider the demographic of this site.

Enjoy your lockdown.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

RippleRock wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm Not surprised my logic is lost on some
Neither am I, considering that your argument is simplistic to the point of being fatalist and ignores any science beyond basic evolution.
You should get together with some anti-vaxxers and go lick some American doorknobs. Hell, isolation notwithstanding there's still plenty of Ebola afoot in DRC (considering herd immunity hasn't kicked in yet) if you want to get really strong.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Enjoy your lockdown.
Thanks bud

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

shimmydampner wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:50 pm
RippleRock wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm Not surprised my logic is lost on some
Neither am I, considering that your argument is simplistic to the point of being fatalist and ignores any science beyond basic evolution.
You should get together with some anti-vaxxers and go lick some American doorknobs. Hell, isolation notwithstanding there's still plenty of Ebola afoot in DRC (considering herd immunity hasn't kicked in yet) if you want to get really strong.
now you are comparing ebola to covoid-19. Two different types of diseases..Get your facts straight before calling people anti-vaxxers.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I made no comparison at all.
Do you know what a comparison is?
Also, I didn't call anyone an anti-vaxxer.
I guess reading comprehension is hard. But by all means, tell us how to best fix this pesky pandemic issue.

Aircygnet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aircygnet »

Many years long time reader, first time poster. I just wanted to add my perspective that I had gleamed from a family of health care workers.

Regarding herd immunity- that only is a valid strategy if you know the provided duration of immunity for an individual after infection. Some virus are longer vs shorter duration. No virologist or immunologist knows this value for covid since the data is still mostly missing. Also, if the virus mutates, any previous immunity is either decreased or lost.

The other emphasis is the death rate which can be argued is relatively low vs other quality short live viruses but potentially higher that regular flu. Problem with that emphasis is that A) the flu values are over a period of a year whereas covid has done most of that work since March until now. B) it kills mostly the same demographics as the flu BUT it can also affect longterm those other demographics which are relatively young and healthy. People have had heart issues, strokes, kidney failure (some requiring long term dialysis), severe deterioration of their lungs, muscle atrophying (due to being bedridden), etc which requires long term rehabilitation and can affect that person for a lifetime. Those effects are ignored by the statistics.

Also, the lockdown was done not necessarily to protect the population, but to prevent our health system from resembling those of other countries that was slow to do so (i.e. Italy, new york). It was mainly a means to provide time to the health system to catch up and prepare- cause they were caught with their pants by their ankles and everything hanging. Also, even though mostly forgotten since covid is a drama queen, people still go to clinics/hospitals for ALL those other reasons- missing limbs, gunshot wounds, tumors, paper cuts.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm How do you explain our extremely effective and complex immune system? Unless “aliens” created it for us, it was developed by eons of exposure. Those that survived propagated the species. It’s grade 8 biology bud.

We have to accept that living on this planet may require on occasion, that Darwin’s Theory be exercised.

It’s not Rocket Surgery. Not surprised my logic is lost on some when I consider the demographic of this site.
The human immune system was achieved at great cost. Science - when people are intelligent enough to listen to it - lowers that cost when something new comes along.

Speaking of natural selection and Darwin however, there’s an experiment/award contest going on right now in the US which should start producing results in just a few weeks. Unfortunately this experiment/award contest is completely uncontained and even people too smart to take part in it directly will end up infected and dying.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/crowds-pack-m ... d=70866157

Of course the science is already known and this is an excellent article explaining it.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirusr0/

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

This Breitbart article explains that 96% of Italy’s Coronavirus fatalities had at least one other chronic illness, and the average age of those fatalities was 81 (Canada’s average life expectancy for men BTW), and only 1.1% of the fatalities were people under 50.

Instead of property quarantining (and caring for!) the elderly, especially those in LTC’s, our best idea was a prolonged shutdown (and destruction) of our economy.

Brilliant!

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/0 ... illnesses/

Return to “Air Canada”