WS/WO Layoff Mitigation Agreement

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WS/WO Layoff Mitigation Agreement

Post by privateer »

I am sorry you got furloughed, but honestly writing on AvCanada just to stir the pot isn't productive. Maybe your time should be better spent finding temporary employment until this hopefully blows over by next year. The exemption was to allow more time for the company to slowly bring people back beyond the 6 months. This is a very unique situation everybody is in not just WestJet. The plan is to bring everybody back eventually and it would be highly counterintuitive to pay 6-7 thousand employees severance at a time when the company needs the liquidity. I would imagine those furloughed WestJetters would love a job to come back to.
---------- ADS -----------

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Blue42 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:16 pm
flyinhigh wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 am Unless it is stated in a labour agreement, than it is 12 months. Pilots are protected as your CBA states 120 months.
Blue42 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 am My understanding for this is the law, right now, states that anyone on a LOA for 6 months is then required to be paid a severance from the company. Asking for a let on this is to allow employees to remain on an LOA for longer then 6 months. We’ll see if that’s the case. AC is offering 24 months LOAs to FAs right now, not sure if they have an exemption or it’s part of their contract agreement.
6 months....

Nothing in our CBA stating 120 months, not sure where you got that from. In the CBA you can take a personal leave up to 6 months.
Blue42 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 pm
George Taylor wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 pm Recall rights are 120 months
For a layoff yes, not sure what that has to do with a discussion about LOAs.
Umm, you said NOTHING in our CBA states 120 months, I was merely pointing out what that is in reference to. As others have stated, chill out.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Sry correct, I was thinking of Layoff.
Blue42 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:16 pm 6 months....

Nothing in our CBA stating 120 months, not sure where you got that from. In the CBA you can take a personal leave up to 6 months.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

WestJet will not be laying off any more active pilots.

It is not their intention to lay any furloughed pilots off as long as CEWS continues.

Pilots who have been furloughed were given the option between CEWS and lay off. Pilots who chose CEWS can expect to continue to receive CEWS as long as the program is active.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

The program ends on August 29th.
But it has been under-utilized. So if the government can extend it it would be a huge relief to those still waiting to be recalled

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Well, we are booked on WJ in July if it makes you feel any better. They even allowed a change to the dates with no charges. That tells me they WANT to be a little nicer to paying people, than some airlines have maybe been in the past. Treat everyone as if they were your grandmother, and your business will succeed.

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

[quote=privateer post_id=1118044 time=1590773057 user_id=4975]
I am sorry you got furloughed, but honestly writing on AvCanada just to stir the pot isn't productive. Maybe your time should be better spent finding temporary employment until this hopefully blows over by next year. The exemption was to allow more time for the company to slowly bring people back beyond the 6 months. This is a very unique situation [b]everybody[/b] is in not just WestJet. The plan is to bring everybody back eventually and it would be highly counterintuitive to pay 6-7 thousand employees severance at a time when the company needs the liquidity. I would imagine those furloughed WestJetters would love a job to come back to.
[/quote]

Said only by a person that is not furloughed.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Question: With respect to the possibility that WestJet *might* layoff more pilots as,of October 1, 2020, does Encore's last MOA preclude Encore pilots being laid off prior to Jan 1, 2021?

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

No, the bump down language in the PTA can cause layoffs at Encore.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

ALPApolicy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:07 am Question: With respect to the possibility that WestJet *might* layoff more pilots as,of October 1, 2020, does Encore's last MOA preclude Encore pilots being laid off prior to Jan 1, 2021?
Well, you can directly ask you Alpa Rep.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:52 pm Well, you can directly ask you Alpa Rep.
Yes. I could.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

MOA 3 has been voted in, and goes to March 31st with no further layoffs until then. Also includes some improvements over MOA 2.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

tbayav8er wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 am MOA 3 has been voted in, and goes to March 31st with no further layoffs until then. Also includes some improvements over MOA 2.
Improvements such as increasing Swoop flying and having those flights go from YYZ instead of YHM.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

That news had not been released at the time I posted this update. All I knew at the time I posted this update was that Swoop was capped at 6 aircraft for the duration of the MOA. In any case, I agree, this is brutal.

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:27 pm
tbayav8er wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 am MOA 3 has been voted in, and goes to March 31st with no further layoffs until then. Also includes some improvements over MOA 2.
Improvements such as increasing Swoop flying and having those flights go from YYZ instead of YHM.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:27 pm Improvements such as increasing Swoop flying and having those flights go from YYZ instead of YHM.
It's almost as if WJ is trying to repeat history. So many have intended to run out of YHM only to slide over to YYZ.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:57 am It's almost as if WJ is trying to repeat history.
You are right. It's just that the history they are trying to repeat is that of Air Canada. Treat your employees badly, treat your customers badly, then go bankrupt.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Furloughed wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm .
That has now happened, and I thank the NC for overlooking the Survey and coming to an end result that means 850 people should be sleeping easier tonight then they were last night.
Interesting comment from a year ago.

Return to “WestJet”