When is Air Transat likely to resume flights

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

When is Air Transat likely to resume flights

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

With all the patchwork of travel restrictions imposed by all the countries Air Transat flies to, I am beginning to doubt that we will see anything that resembles normal resumption of service this summer. Putting aircraft in the air to lose more than grounding them makes no sense. Unless the airline's survival (like maintaining the OC valid) requires some token flying.

The UK for example is imposing a 14 day Quarantine on all incoming international passengers as of June 8th, a measure that British Airways is fighting in court, because, simply put, it represents a death sentence for them. I'm afraid most politicians have no idea how airlines are run and the context that is needed for them to survive. ICAO, the WHO and IATA should have been at the centre of Covid-19 regulations and restrictions for Airlines, but these agencies are not being used to their potential to save the industry. Patchwork restrictions on airlines will be a death warrant for many.

Most European countries are publishing lists of countries whose nationals they will accept, but are maintaining restrictions for others. So far, France and Belgium have only announced lifting of travel restrictions for citizens of Europe, as of June 15. Nothing for Canadians.

Spain plans to allow incoming tourists as of July form other European nations and from a few other non European nations whose names have not been published yet. Will Canada be included ? No one knows. Italy is opening to German tourists.

This context is one in which airlines will be unable to draw a profit, but will will be one in which they will lose millions every month (or every day according to size).

Politicians are assuming that airlines will maintain a certain level of service despite the restrictions. Air Canada has 30 to 50 aircraft in the air at any given time these days. I have not seen numbers but I am willing to bet that occupancy is well under 50%. How long can they keep up with this ?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: When is Air Transat likely to resume flights

Post by Dry Guy »

lose

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Dry Guy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:42 amlose
Thank you. I always write, post than come back and edit. You just read too fast.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

That’s a reasoned approach and quality commentary from a knowledgeable person as yourself Mr. Hudicourt. If I may be so bold , I would add what is the confidence level in the travelling Canadian public so far, amongst my own small circle, not very. Not scientific mind you but I keep hearing until a proven,safe vaccine..... Just saying.
Cheers mate.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Old fella,
The demographic make up of the circle is paramount. My circle of contacts/ friends/acquaintances are chomping at the bit to get back to sanity. We are not waiting for a magic serum that will arrive no sooner than 12 months from now. We are not in the high danger group. Frankly, not many Canadians are. Our children will probably be back at school in the fall, and we will travel when able. A few of us, (families with kids) are already planning a group vacation to a warmer climate as early as November.
If 10000 protesters can gather elbow to elbow for marches and the odd arson, without any denigration for non social distancing from the media and the government, then how seriously can we continue to take their Covid proclamations? The Covid program, instituted from the GOC has rapidly descended from a emergency policy into a political policy. Tam and Trudeau have mired themselves into a corner with no easy way out. Canadians can now clearly see that the handouts to the masses are not designed with logic, but merely are a vote securing exercise. Students are gifted 9 Billion, each senior gets at least 300$, and every claimant of the 2000$ per month can be assured that there will be no audit. Government assistance to industry is coupled with furthering Trudeau’s and Bette’s green agenda. The air industry is being decimated, yet it is Maritime fishermen that get 400 million.
Sorry for the thread drift..😂
To summarize, my circle of friends are NOT going to wait. As soon as we can travel we will. The personal risks are statistically very very low.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Same here. In my circle in Montreal, where there is a large immigrant community, people cannot wait to travel, to send their kids to spend the summer with their grand-parents, to visit relatives and take a break from all this maleness.

At lest those that still have a job when the dust settles.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Tailgunner/Gilles

I really hope both of you are right and it would be my pleasure to be told I am full of shit with my old age pessimism, I sincerely mean that. I won’t get into political drift however the economy has to right itself for all our sake’s, soonest the better.
Cheers.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Old Fella,
Agreed. As a country, and more specifically, thefederal government ,needs to have a realization that taxes and social handouts do not get an economy running. Investment in infrastructure, industry, and reducing needless inefficiency is what does. Deficits definitely do not take care of themselves, there needs to be capital growth in the economy and in the hands of the citizens.
Cheers

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

In the last week only I have in my circle more than 20 people (not working in aviation) asking me when AT is planning to fly.
1/3 want to see their family in Europe, 1/3 want to go to their house/condo in Florida, 1/3 want to make sure they can book their trip to PUJ next winter. They didn’t even talked about Covid (some are still working from home and the quarantine won’t be an issue.)

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

tailgunner wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:01 am Old Fella,
Agreed. As a country, and more specifically, thefederal government ,needs to have a realization that taxes and social handouts do not get an economy running. Investment in infrastructure, industry, and reducing needless inefficiency is what does. Deficits definitely do not take care of themselves, there needs to be capital growth in the economy and in the hands of the citizens.
Cheers
Just curious, how much of that infrastructure money with inflated government contracts will make it into the hands of the people that need the money?
Take the initial investment of 84ish billion and run it through construction companies and see what makes it out, my guess is 30%, not based on any sort of knowledge just my old age pessimistic view of the world

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

When talking about infrastructure projects, Canadians need to look past government projects. A major infrastructure project could be the Energy East Pipeline to Saint John. It would employ thousands, and provide long term permanent jobs in NB. The Northern Gateway project is another that should be moved forward. Both of these are private projects.

Nationally, I believe the government should be aiming for projects that will aid capital growth. Let’s build the TranCanada properly into and through the Lower Mainland in B.C. Let’s get the George Massey tunnel replacement built. Let’s widen Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary. Let’s double Highway 16 through Saskatchewan and through Manitoba. Let’s build, double, and rebuild the TC through N.Ont. Southern Ontario needs additional roadways/highways. Quebec is a national embarrassment in regards to the deterioration in infrastructure. Let’s get the bridges rebuilt properly.

Airport infrastructure should be expanded and rebuilt immediately. Let’s get proper lighting and approaches. Taxiways should be built to the ends of runways. Let’s pour concrete instead of asphalt at YYZ. YOW needs proper lighting. YHZ needs to lengthen 14/32 and build proper taxiways. YEG needs proper lighting, including centerline lights, TDZ lights etc.

Just a few thoughts. But, these type of projects will increase efficiency, and thus , reduce costs long term.
Cheers

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

tailgunner wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:05 pm When talking about infrastructure projects, Canadians need to look past government projects. A major infrastructure project could be the Energy East Pipeline to Saint John. It would employ thousands, and provide long term permanent jobs in NB. The Northern Gateway project is another that should be moved forward. Both of these are private projects.

Nationally, I believe the government should be aiming for projects that will aid capital growth. Let’s build the TranCanada properly into and through the Lower Mainland in B.C. Let’s get the George Massey tunnel replacement built. Let’s widen Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary. Let’s double Highway 16 through Saskatchewan and through Manitoba. Let’s build, double, and rebuild the TC through N.Ont. Southern Ontario needs additional roadways/highways. Quebec is a national embarrassment in regards to the deterioration in infrastructure. Let’s get the bridges rebuilt properly.

Airport infrastructure should be expanded and rebuilt immediately. Let’s get proper lighting and approaches. Taxiways should be built to the ends of runways. Let’s pour concrete instead of asphalt at YYZ. YOW needs proper lighting. YHZ needs to lengthen 14/32 and build proper taxiways. YEG needs proper lighting, including centerline lights, TDZ lights etc.

Just a few thoughts. But, these type of projects will increase efficiency, and thus , reduce costs long term.
Cheers
Good post. Nation building vs. paying students to not get a job.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

altiplano wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:29 pm
tailgunner wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:05 pm When talking about infrastructure projects, Canadians need to look past government projects. A major infrastructure project could be the Energy East Pipeline to Saint John. It would employ thousands, and provide long term permanent jobs in NB. The Northern Gateway project is another that should be moved forward. Both of these are private projects.

Cheers
Good post. Nation building vs. paying students to not get a job.
Oh to dream.....

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Some good news are on the way; tba Thursday.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:54 pm
tailgunner wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:01 am Old Fella,
Cheers
Just curious, how much of that infrastructure money with inflated government contracts will make it into the hands of the people that need the money?
Take the initial investment of 84ish billion and run it through construction companies and see what makes it out, my guess is 30%, not based on any sort of knowledge just my old age pessimistic view of the world
lol you must be from YUL....

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

All that "needless inefficiency" is what gets you your roads, airports, medical facilities - UI. You start getting rid of taxes etc, and you end up like the States. OK for some, but not for me that's for sure. The more "conservative" opinion is that giving all the money to bigshots, has things trickle down to the lowly working man. We know this does not happen, and Ronald Reagan was just plain full of crap that people believed because he had a nice smile. Things are never a simple as we would like them to be.

There has to be a balance somewhere between the needs and wants of the group, vs the individual. Vote, and try to implement changes; everything can use a tweak.

Off topic, but I find younger people more conservative than people my age. Weird; used to be the other way around.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

July 23

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Very good news regarding resumptions of flights.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Yes, and most of the TATL flights listed in that press release can be operates by the A321neoLR, which will help keep costs low.

Return to “Air Transat”