YUL Base

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: YUL Base

Post by av8ts »

I’m YUL based and do not speak french. The worst part is if your with a Québécois crew, once you leave the aircraft they will only speak French. In the airport, hotel shuttle and if you go out to eat with them, even though they know you don’t speak French.
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Do you think they are trying to tell you something? Learning a language really is a lot of fun.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:59 pm Do you think they are trying to tell you something? Learning a language really is a lot of fun.
It’s possible they’re trying to tell you “something”.....if they’re jerks.
Otherwise, I think it’s more of a “natural habitat” sort of thing where speaking French is their norm and they would have to remember to speak English and be considerate of their non-French speaking colleague. But then again, it would imply they care and want to be considerate in the first place.
In a part of my circle, I was regularly in a group that speaks their language amongst themselves and when they get carried away they kind of forget I’m there and they quickly switch back to English. No harm, no fowl.

But I do agree - learning languages is a ton of fun!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

My long experience with this is that when there is one Anglo, everyone speaks English whenever they can. One Francophone, and it's "well, he speaks English anyways, so why should we bother?" - everywhere in Canada, which is a bit weird isn't it? But not to a lot of anglophones for some strange reason. Most people everywhere are pretty good about it though, no matter where you go.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

As an Anglo in Québec life can be pretty fine even if you speak no French, however, being out of the loop in conversations gets tiresome eventually. When the skippers are often speaking French to the FA’s, it can get annoying, whether they intend to or not. It is what it is. I think, if you’re going to live there for a long time, it would be a much richer experience if you learned the language.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Agreed. At least in Quebec they give you more than a week to learn the language, unlike in Germany! All luvly dubly at the beginning, then all English is off... at least that how it was more than once for me. Good motivation for learning in my books. And before somebody says: "French Canadians don't speak the same French" - well, there are some differences, but not as many as some might think. At least they are not fussy about your accent. We have it pretty good in Canada overall when you think about it, although travelling is good too. Wish we could do more of it. Montreal is a great city to visit, as long as you don't mind permanent, constant, road construction.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Is Club Supersex closed down now...I believe it is...great memories post Expo's game..back when things were simple!

Keep the dirty side down.
fmarcoux
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fmarcoux »

Don’t need French in yul base, if we get going in a conversation in french, it’s not a message, we just don’t always think about it. Sorry.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”