Transat revenues drop by 99%, with 2,000 layoffs expected

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Transat revenues drop by 99%, with 2,000 layoffs expected

Post by rudder »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:11 pm
FL-280 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:39 pm Absolutely! 2.6 Billion $ worth with just shy of 9 ish Billion $ of cash on Q2 statement
How much if that is raised capital/loans since the beginning of the pandemic? TS has not borrowed any money yet.
Stop unilaterally extending the ‘drop dead’ date and TRZ can go borrow as much money as it likes (or that lenders are willing to lend.... at risk adjusted rates of interest).
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Dh8Classic wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:18 pm
I have said this on other threads but it makes me so angry how people vote in this country.

The parties that wanted more of this green future got over 80% of the vote in Quebec and nearly 65% of the vote in Ontario. Maybe you had ulterior motives when your voted but in the end, most of you are getting what you voted for, a new career at an Amazon warehouse(or something similar).
I share your frustration. But if a vote were held today the same results would happen. 3 out of the 4 major parties have a very green platform. They have that platform because they poll. They know what voters want and try to appeal to it. Billions in Oil and Gas investment ( Billions with an S) have left our boarders because that is what voters decided they want. Do you hear any concern outside of the industry? Nope. People silently think to themselves you lost your job for the greater good. Tough but too bad.

If carbon emitters are bad, how bad is emitting carbon for leisure?

Politically we are viewed as toxic. Best to just avoid association.

Last edited by Fanblade on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citizenbanana »

Terrible news

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Fanblade wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm
I have said this on other threads but it makes me so angry how people vote in this country.

The parties that wanted more of this green future got over 80% of the vote in Quebec and nearly 65% of the vote in Ontario. Maybe you had ulterior motives when your voted but in the end, most of you are getting what you voted for, a new career at an Amazon warehouse(or something similar).
I share your frustration. But if a vote were held today the same results would happen. 3 out of the 4 major parties have a very green platform. They have that platform because they poll. They know what voters want and try to appeal to it. Billions in Oil and Gas investment ( Billions with an S) have left our boarders because that is what voters decided they want. Do you hear any concern outside of the industry? Nope. People silently think to themselves you lost your job for the greater good. Tough but too bad.

We almost need things to get much worse to wake up all the leftist idiots who keep voting these clowns in. Yes he would get re elected unfortunately. Virtue signalling to visible minorities and offering everyone free money to stay home.

Let’s Go Brandon
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rudder wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:11 pm
FL-280 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:39 pm Absolutely! 2.6 Billion $ worth with just shy of 9 ish Billion $ of cash on Q2 statement
How much if that is raised capital/loans since the beginning of the pandemic? TS has not borrowed any money yet.
Stop unilaterally extending the ‘drop dead’ date and TRZ can go borrow as much money as it likes (or that lenders are willing to lend.... at risk adjusted rates of interest).
Can you answer the question?

Btw, TS has obligations towards the shareholders and AC is free to pull out anytime they want.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 pm

We almost need things to get much worse to wake up all the leftist idiots who keep voting these clowns in. Yes he would get re elected unfortunately. Virtue signalling to visible minorities and offering everyone free money to stay home.
It is not just leftists. It is centrists as well. And many of them are on this thread. So the question is....if you voted for these parties, why are you whining about losing your career. They certainly had no problem screwing Alberta over by taking their money and strangling their economy. A little different when it hits home.

Gilles and Jean-Luc?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Dh8Classic wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm

It is not just leftists. It is centrists as well. And many of them are on this thread. So the question is....if you voted for these parties, why are you whining about losing your career. They certainly had no problem screwing Alberta over by taking their money and strangling their economy. A little different when it hits home.

Gilles and Jean-Luc?
Because I’m a centrist and it’s bullshit, that’s why.

Name one other government that nationalized a pipeline to get it built? That let the Supreme Court have their due process so another one could be built? Lego hair didn’t do it with one of the biggest oil booms in history. But across BC all it is is ATCO trailers and excavators and low boys with pipe and cuts going hundreds of miles in every direction!

What did any of those Ontario carpetbaggers with a conservative sticker on them ever do for AB? Harper and Kenny were the ones that signed in the current equalization scheme Quebec enjoys. They signed a blank check for their home province of Ontario when its auto sector was failing in 2009 but crickets for when Alberta oil crashed in 2014—they even raided the EI piggy bank rather than give it to oil workers who’s EI was expiring and sold their GM shares at a loss to cook the books for a balanced budget.. long before Notley and Trudeau and after the AB conservatives squandered a boom and then some going from King Ralph’s paid in full to billions of dollars in debt. Good thing Kenney is there now.. giving out billions in tax breaks to corporations with no attendant job creation and pushing pension funds to a pipeline to “America First” America that is now energy self-sufficient

And all of this with poor poor AB enjoying the lowest taxes and largest resource wealth of any province. There’s no special line on their tax forms that say they have to pay extra—federal taxes are the same in all provinces. Where the f did all that money go? Hookers and blow?

Alberta screwed itself by using resources to replace taxes rather than using them to create a legacy like Norway or Bahrain did. If they had a sales tax and progressive income tax.. the equalization bar would be raised and Quebec would qualify for less money and they’d have a trillion in the bank. It also got screwed by letting mostly foreign owned oil companies walk all over it with most value added production disappearing because it costs too much and doesn’t make money quickly especially with Alberta Sludge.

Husky had a multi year strategy to get out of downstream oil and focus on upstream. You don’t do this without pipelines. They sold off the refinery in my town before Trudeau’s re election but timed their Alberta layoffs with it so they could play them like a fiddle. Yeah.. we know you’ll blame drama teacher while we planned to fire you all along!

I didn’t lose my career... but I’ve never been in a place to attribute my successes or failures to a politician. I lost my job after 9/11. Unprecedented times. Just like these ones. You think it’s any different in the US? Europe? Asia? Everyone is hurting.

It’s not politics. It’s fear. If they opened everything up right now.. you’d probably be surprised at how few takers there would be. It’s also other people’s job losses. And it should be painfully obvious that people who were screwed out of thousands of dollars of tickets aren’t going to be lining up to spend even more money.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Plenty of subjects in the response. But it doesn’t change the reality that a whole bunch of people who voted for the parties that campaigned that there is a climate emergency and that aviation is a big part of it appear to be on the brink of a career change due to intentional government policy to let them fail instead of giving assistance.

Isn’t it appropriate that those who vote for it are the ones affected by it as compared to those who didn’t. Unfortunately, the few smart voters get taken out as well.

And don’t expect too many more pipelines. That was a way to gain more votes by the fools suckered into giving their vote with billions of taxpayer money who can now expect the New Green Deal. Now that he spent a few billion to get your votes and cling to power, the real agenda is coming out.

I'm sure the coming increase in carbon tax will help AT along.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:37 pm
Dh8Classic wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Gilles and Jean-Luc?
Because I’m a centrist and it’s bullshit, that’s why.

Name one other government that nationalized a pipeline to get it built? That let the Supreme Court have their due process so another one could be built? Lego hair didn’t do it with one of the biggest oil booms in history. But across BC all it is is ATCO trailers and excavators and low boys with pipe and cuts going hundreds of miles in every direction!

What did any of those Ontario carpetbaggers with a conservative sticker on them ever do for AB? Harper and Kenny were the ones that signed in the current equalization scheme Quebec enjoys. They signed a blank check for their home province of Ontario when its auto sector was failing in 2009 but crickets for when Alberta oil crashed in 2014—they even raided the EI piggy bank rather than give it to oil workers who’s EI was expiring and sold their GM shares at a loss to cook the books for a balanced budget.. long before Notley and Trudeau and after the AB conservatives squandered a boom and then some going from King Ralph’s paid in full to billions of dollars in debt. Good thing Kenney is there now.. giving out billions in tax breaks to corporations with no attendant job creation and pushing pension funds to a pipeline to “America First” America that is now energy self-sufficient

And all of this with poor poor AB enjoying the lowest taxes and largest resource wealth of any province. There’s no special line on their tax forms that say they have to pay extra—federal taxes are the same in all provinces. Where the f did all that money go? Hookers and blow?

Alberta screwed itself by using resources to replace taxes rather than using them to create a legacy like Norway or Bahrain did. If they had a sales tax and progressive income tax.. the equalization bar would be raised and Quebec would qualify for less money and they’d have a trillion in the bank. It also got screwed by letting mostly foreign owned oil companies walk all over it with most value added production disappearing because it costs too much and doesn’t make money quickly especially with Alberta Sludge.

Husky had a multi year strategy to get out of downstream oil and focus on upstream. You don’t do this without pipelines. They sold off the refinery in my town before Trudeau’s re election but timed their Alberta layoffs with it so they could play them like a fiddle. Yeah.. we know you’ll blame drama teacher while we planned to fire you all along!

I didn’t lose my career... but I’ve never been in a place to attribute my successes or failures to a politician. I lost my job after 9/11. Unprecedented times. Just like these ones. You think it’s any different in the US? Europe? Asia? Everyone is hurting.

It’s not politics. It’s fear. If they opened everything up right now.. you’d probably be surprised at how few takers there would be. It’s also other people’s job losses. And it should be painfully obvious that people who were screwed out of thousands of dollars of tickets aren’t going to be lining up to spend even more money.
And that's one person's political opinion which is worth about as much as a grounded B 737 MAX.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Looks like bad news for the airline industry......

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-i ... 969391305/

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

pelmet wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 pm Looks like bad news for the airline industry......

People who voted for this stooge get exactly what they deserve. Bad times ahead indeed.

Let’s Go Brandon
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 pm Looks like bad news for the airline industry......

People who voted for this stooge get exactly what they deserve. Bad times ahead indeed.
Not for the illegal invaders , they all win the jackpot. :shock:

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jack-m ... 5bd6ced7d/

There is a lot of speculation that the Liberals will add very hefty Carbon taxes to the transportation as well as oil and gas sectors this fall. The two sectors may be in for a very rude awakening unless Trudeau’s minority government falls.

This would explain why there is no aid to the industry. You don’t prop up what you plan on strangling in an effort to meet the Paris accord promises.

Last edited by Fanblade on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Fanblade wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:39 pm https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jack-m ... 5bd6ced7d/

There is a lot of speculation that the Liberals will add very hefty Carbon taxes to the transportation as well as oil and gas sectors this fall. The two sectors may be in for a very rude awakening unless Trudeau’s minority government falls.

This would explain why there is no aid to the industry. You don’t prop up what you plan on strangling.
That makes logical sense. Trudeau is the Canadian version of America's AOC. :rolleyes:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Are you people totally incapable of rational thought? Your incandescent hatred for anything left or anyone brown has made you stupid.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 am Are you people totally incapable of rational thought? Your incandescent hatred for anything left or anyone brown has made you stupid.
Yet another fart smeller that considers himself to be the best and the brightest that a liberal arts education has to offer. :roll:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

tsgas wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am
Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 am Are you people totally incapable of rational thought? Your incandescent hatred for anything left or anyone brown has made you stupid.
Yet another fart smeller that considers himself to be the best and the brightest that a liberal arts education has to offer. :roll:
If this was meant to prove my point congratulations...shack.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 am
tsgas wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am
If this was meant to prove my point congratulations...shack.
Give yourself a pat on the back "little man ' no one else will, clown. :prayer:

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

This is a clear example of what is so completely repulsive of the thought process of those on the left. The posters on this thread have now all been accused of hating anyone brown.

I can't tell you how sickening the thought process is for these people on the left with their endless similar accusations.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

When someone is wrong and has no argument, or a poor argument, they result in deflecting and attacking the person instead of the argument. As seen here when the liberal supporter gets backed into a corner he has nothing left to say except "racism".

Return to “Air Transat”