RIP Max Ward

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

RIP Max Ward

Post by 200hr Wonder »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5788258

Lost a legend yesterday. Blue skies and god speed.
---------- ADS -----------

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: RIP Max Ward

Post by PilotDAR »

Sad that we have lost him, but happy we had him! What a leader in our industry!

I passed by him a few times in the Wardair hangar at YYZ while I worked for Worldways, and we used the hangar, but I was never important enough to have something to chat about with him. Then, years ago, Joan Moore asked me to say a eulogy for her husband Roy, the former owner of Worldways. I was one of two people asked to perform this honour. To my surprise and delight, when I was finished, Max stood up from being seated on the audience, and asked to speak a few words. I could not welcome him quickly enough! We had a nice chat after that. My brief passing with Canadian aviation history in person!

I appreciated Max!

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

If you are a pilot, or aviation enthusiast and haven't read his book, you should.

https://g.co/kgs/Mm7Siy

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bushed »

Had the honour of flying him on a Hawker when his airplane broke down. Showed up in a taxi( no limo) down to earth and very nice guy. I have flown a few famous people but he was the one I will always remember.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Very saddened with the news of Max Ward’s passing.
He was a true gentleman who was always hands on at Wardair.
It was quite common to see him greet passengers as they deplaned. Even at one in the morning.
I passed him and George Curly in our hangar on Convair Drive one afternoon. They were looking at passenger seats under consideration for the 3-10s. Mr. Ward, who was a tall man, said to Mr. Curly, “If I’m not comfortable in it my passengers won’t be comfortable in it.”
He always paid attention to the details. Right down to the Royal Doulton China.
He would occasionally visit the flight deck for a chat. Especially on those CYYZ - CYEG sectors.
If there’s an after life I’m sure he’s discussing the state of our industry with Sir Freddie and reminiscing.

Sad news indeed.

May he Rest In Peace.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

My Mum and Dad both worked for Max in the early charter years on the DC-6, circa 1960,mum as a stewardess and dad was co-pilot. They flew routes such as Edmonton-Amsterdam, those were some long flights in the 6.Neither ever had a bad word to say about him, he was a class act through and through, a rare breed in aviation. Rest In Peace.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

I joined Wardair the same week that Max announced he was selling to Canadi>n. There was a real pride in working for Max. He was regularly in the cafeteria.

Unusual among bush operators, his bush operation never lost a passenger.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I met Max when I was working on the ramp at a major FBO 20 years ago. I was asked to bring the fuel truck to a Challenger that had just arrived. I had just set the brakes when an older gentleman grabbed the fuel nozzle and hooked it up to begin pumping fuel. He had preset the required amount and had the deadman switch in hand waiting while I prepared the fuel log. I hopped out of the truck and said hello only to find out that it was Mr. Ward. I figured he was just any old corporate pilot (even then, most corporate pilots would not fuel their own planes).

Return to “General Comments”