VIDEO: Cessna 182 Crash after Engine Failure on Final Approach, Nov 2020

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

VIDEO: Cessna 182 Crash after Engine Failure on Final Approach, Nov 2020

Post by challenger_nami »

Cessna 182T had an Engine Failure on final approach to Whitman Airport KWHP, California.
Pilot tried to glide to the runway but crashed just short of the airport in a residential neighborhood, probably 200 feet short of the runway and airport’s wall.

The aircraft crashed into a few parked cars, and fire erupted.
The pilot was the only occupant and sadly did not survive. May he Rest In Peace.

Cessna 182T
Date: 12 Nov 2020
Fatalities: 1
Probable Cause: Engine Failure

ATC COMMUNICATION & CRASH FOOTAGE:
https://youtu.be/roNtWz2ey2g

TV NEWS COVERAGE :
https://youtu.be/FSgfdM3oysk

Video from The crashed Aircraft, from a previous flight :
https://youtu.be/0wDVkgQbi1g

ADS-B Track Log from Flight Aware:
Attached Picture.

The attached picture shows how close the pilot came to making it to the runway. The crash site is probably less than 200 feet from the runway.

My take away:
Specially on a single engine, Approach at a higher profile with minimal power, as if your engine will quit at any moment, and you can not depend on the engine to get you there . You can always trade altitude for Airspeed.

---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
D54AD68B-F6B2-4381-8577-C9E6A28C961D.jpeg
D54AD68B-F6B2-4381-8577-C9E6A28C961D.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1901 times
02077257-4050-4966-B3AB-C7703C8A9B21.jpeg
02077257-4050-4966-B3AB-C7703C8A9B21.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2004 times
Last edited by challenger_nami on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: VIDEO: Cessna 182 Crash after Engine Failure on Final Approach, Nov 2020

Post by pelmet »

I flew into Whiteman last year(and saw the several CAP aircraft parked there). It is a typical LA basin airport with few surrounding landing options.

With all the fire in the Cessna crash, it appears that there was plenty of fuel onboard. While the details of this crash are unknown, it does remind me of the importance of turning that master switch off before a crash landing(or potential one).

One may have to choose any reasonable place to land when a engine fails over the big city. I have flown this specific aircraft(N216MS) many times that is shown in the link below. I was told that this appears to have been a carb ice induced power loss in which the pilot landed in......a river.....Apparently, he was on a date. Would have been interesting to find out how things went later on. Depends if he was considered a hero or not by the passenger.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/04/1 ... ong-beach/

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am I have flown this specific aircraft(N216MS) many times that is shown in the link below. I was told that this appears to have been a carb ice induced power loss in which the pilot landed in......a river.....Apparently, he was on a date. Would have been interesting to find out how things went later on. Depends if he was considered a hero or not by the passenger.

Funny.

What does this have to do with the fatal accident that is the topic of this thread, in which a pilot may well have burned to death?

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

254DEE0A-2F57-452A-B43A-032A4D4DF5AE.jpeg
254DEE0A-2F57-452A-B43A-032A4D4DF5AE.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1899 times
The pilot was so close to making the runway. So Sad.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:10 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am I have flown this specific aircraft(N216MS) many times that is shown in the link below. I was told that this appears to have been a carb ice induced power loss in which the pilot landed in......a river.....Apparently, he was on a date. Would have been interesting to find out how things went later on. Depends if he was considered a hero or not by the passenger.

Funny.

What does this have to do with the fatal accident that is the topic of this thread, in which a pilot may well have burned to death?
It appears that you forgot to mention this part at the beginning of the what you quoted....
"One may have to choose any reasonable place to land when a engine fails over the big city."

In the Cessna accident, the pilot said said on the radio that he was "going to try and stretch it to the runway". Perhaps that was the only reasonable choice.

In the incident with the Robin that I used to fly, which was in the same city but fortunately with a different outcome, that pilot told the news station that “We were coming in to land at Long Beach and the engine quit,” “We were just going over the river, and I realized I was too low to make it anywhere else. I figured this was the better place to land.”

Different situation and not necessarily comparable. But like I said....."One may have to choose any reasonable place to land when a engine fails over the big city."

The tough decision is when the airport is close enough to tempt you. Not easy choices.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

challenger_nami wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:00 pm 254DEE0A-2F57-452A-B43A-032A4D4DF5AE.jpeg
The pilot was so close to making the runway. So Sad.
If I remember correctly, that is a wall at the airport property.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

When do we get to speculate why the engine stopped? Is it now?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:41 pm When do we get to speculate why the engine stopped? Is it now?
Whenever you want.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

"One may have to choose any reasonable place to land when a engine fails over the big city."

In the Cessna accident, the pilot said said on the radio that he was "going to try and stretch it to the runway". Perhaps that was the only reasonable choice.
For myself, I choose, when flying into an airport with poor choices for off airport landing areas, to fly as much of the circuit and approach as possible so as to be able to make it at least into the airport grounds, of not the runway, with no engine power. Yes, this means closer downwinds, and steeper approaches, and sometimes I have to widen out to conform to the circuit traffic, but my choice is to not have to worry about possibly stretching a glide if I can plan it that way.

Yes, you can stretch a glide a little by slowing down, but it's really hard to arrest your descent and make a controlled landing from that speed.

My first forced landing site, where landing sites were really limited, was Toronto Island Airport in a 182, which promptly quit flying past the CN Tower. I had the height, and made it down neatly. It was January, and undershoot, overshoot, or alternative place would have been cold & wet, or a big smash. It was my first lesson in plan where you're going to go if it quits, all the time while you're cruising. We can't always have a suitable spot, it's inevitable, but we can try. To me, crashing short of the runway after an unexpected engine failure is an indication that if the approach were flown as a power off from farther back, or better, overhead, it could have been planned to work out fine.

This is a reason that I train practice forced approaches to a touchdown. Getting to 100 feet, and powering away does not teach what the outcome would have been if your judgement were wrong, or your glide too slow - you have to add energy to flare, and that energy comes from a little excess speed you wisely carried into the flare.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm
This is a reason that I train practice forced approaches to a touchdown. Getting to 100 feet, and powering away does not teach what the outcome would have been if your judgement were wrong, or your glide too slow - you have to add energy to flare, and that energy comes from a little excess speed you wisely carried into the flare.
Doesn't everyone?

That's basic PPL syllabus-- I thought.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm

For myself, I choose, when flying into an airport with poor choices for off airport landing areas, to fly as much of the circuit and approach as possible so as to be able to make it at least into the airport grounds, of not the runway, with no engine power. Yes, this means closer downwinds, and steeper approaches, and sometimes I have to widen out to conform to the circuit traffic, but my choice is to not have to worry about possibly stretching a glide if I can plan it that way.
Thanks for the intelligent reply.

One can certainly use your technique combined with some sideslip on many aircraft to increase the descent rate.

I believe the the aircraft in the crash was doing a long straight in approach.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:46 pm
photofly wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:41 pm When do we get to speculate why the engine stopped? Is it now?
Whenever you want.
I’m hoping the experts will kick us off. There’s plenty of material in the news reports to go on.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:19 pm
Whenever you want.
I’m hoping the experts will kick us off. There’s plenty of material in the news reports to go on.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Whenever you want.
I'm sure the one most desperate for attention to feed their pathetic self esteem will be along shortly, expertly opining on an accident they know nothing about
You're already here.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Whenever you want.
Yeah, most great pilots saved money on course books and just watched the news.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

cncpc wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:43 pm

I'm sure the one most desperate for attention to feed their pathetic self esteem will be along shortly, expertly opining on an accident they know nothing about
You're already here.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Personally I was hoping for a nice big helping of instructor bashing. Surely one of the pilot’s former instructors did something wrong.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

You're already here.
Post of the year😂

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm

You're already here.
Post of the year😂

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:03 pm

You're already here.
Brilliant.
I'm not the one hijacking the thread with speculation on whether a pilot in a totally unrelated accident got lucky with his date.
Take it up with that poster.
I took it up with you, Sparky. I sense that somewhere in the past, Pelmet and DAR have eaten your lunch. I prefer speculation to little boy petulance.

You started out as a waterhead here, a Trump supporter if I'm not mistaken, then you had a long run as a pretty fair poster. Probably a couple of years now. Stop stuffing your shirt in, and be the grown up rookiepilot again. You are a good contributor when you're not sniffing your own farts.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”