Boeing Update, for Air Canada Pilots — News and Views

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Boeing Update, for Air Canada Pilots — News and Views

Post by Raymond Hall »

From today’s Washington Post:

Boeing 737 Max crashes were ‘horrific culmination’ of errors, investigators say

The chief project engineer for Boeing’s 737 Max jet told House investigators that he approved a critical design change to software on the plane even though he was unaware of key details about how it worked or of a previous warning from a test pilot that if the system malfunctioned, the results could be “catastrophic.”

The engineer’s acknowledgment is one of several revelations contained in a new report released Wednesday by investigators from the House Transportation Committee. The document details myriad gaps in oversight that allowed federal regulators to certify the plane was safe to fly even though officials at both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration did not fully understand how it was designed.

The final committee report on the Max offers the clearest indication yet that Boeing — or the unit tasked with overseeing the certification process on the FAA’s behalf — could have caught flaws in the Max’s flight control system during the airplane’s design stage.

But it failed to act on concerns that were raised about the flawed Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), which was identified as a factor in both crashes. The Boeing employees were driven in part by what investigators concluded was pressure to get the new planes to customers quickly and without requiring their pilots to undergo extensive retraining — a goal symbolized by “countdown clocks” on the wall of a conference room, according to the report.

The House investigators concluded that the two crashes in less than five months “were the horrific culmination of a series of faulty technical assumptions by Boeing’s engineers, a lack of transparency on the part of Boeing’s management, and grossly insufficient oversight by the FAA.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... Fstory-ans

Final House Committee report on the Boeing 737 Max

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/ ... l_manual_5
---------- ADS -----------

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

The Washington Post? Seriously Ray? I thought you're blood ran slightly blue.

There isn't a more left-leaning, democratic, far-left leaning liberal rag in the entire U.S.A.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 pm The Washington Post? Seriously Ray? I thought you're blood ran slightly blue. There isn't a more left-leaning, democratic, far-left leaning liberal rag in the entire U.S.A.
The quotes are from the report. That is what is relevant to aviation. It just so happens that the Washington Post published its report ahead of other media, including the right-leading media that I follow as well.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 pm The Washington Post? Seriously Ray? I thought you're blood ran slightly blue.

There isn't a more left-leaning, democratic, far-left leaning liberal rag in the entire U.S.A.
Oh, FFS, this crap again? Here's the coverage in that paragon of journalistic integrity, Fox News: https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us- ... tification
I doubt you'll find a whole lot of difference from the Post's coverage.
Better?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 pm The Washington Post? Seriously Ray? I thought you're blood ran slightly blue.

Apropos of nothing.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Rockie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Apropos of nothing.
A comment concerning nothing, concerning a comment you view as concerning nothing. Slow posting night Rockie?

One can wonder why anyone of "credibility" would post an editorial from a paper who actively promotes "left extremism". There are many other sources.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You don’t know the difference between facts and opinion. How could you?

What facts in the WP news story do you dispute? Cite actual evidence to support your case.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

RippleRock wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm One can wonder why anyone of "credibility" would post an editorial from a paper who actively promotes "left extremism". There are many other sources.
Since when was political correctness, according to your standard of publications, a precondition to posting aviation-related material on an aviation directed site? Would you rather I have obtained the quote from Stormer?

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/busi ... e=Homepage

The Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday cleared the way for Boeing’s 737 Max to resume flying, 20 months after it was grounded following two fatal crashes blamed on faulty software and a host of company and government failures.
The decision ends a devastating saga for Boeing, which had predicted billions of dollars in losses stemming from the Max crisis even before the coronavirus pandemic dealt a ruinous blow to global aviation. The agency’s chief, Stephen Dickson, signed an order Wednesday formally lifting the grounding.

“The path that led us to this point was long and grueling, but we said from the start that we would take the time necessary to get this right,” he said in a video message. “I am 100 percent comfortable with my family flying on it.”

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Give it a week or 2....

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

FAA Administrator Steve Dickson today signed an order (PDF) that paves the way for the Boeing 737 MAX to return to commercial service.
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93206

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

It’s called the reporting of facts.
You appear to be the only one attempting to make something political out of it.

Last edited by rxl on Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

rxl wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:45 am

You you appear to be the only one attempting to make something political out of it.

You're a few months late to the party buddy.

If you read the original article I was commenting on, you'd see there was plenty of political in it. Only Marxists read the WP, so I was a little surprised to see Ray quote it.

Is it not ok to be surprised, and say so?

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

RippleRock wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:59 pm Only Marxists read the WP ...
Your post is right out of Logic 101. Syllogistic reasoning.

If A then B. If B then C. Hence, if A then C. “Only Marxists read the Washington Post.”

I quoted the article from the Washington Post, which obviously means that I read the Washington Post. Hence, according to you, I am a Marxist. Thanks for that. I have been trying to understand who I am for some time now. And my ultra-right small-c conservative friends should be freshly enlightened by your analysis, if they stick by me.

What you did is transform an issue about the 737 Max into a political statement about my character and my political dispositions. If that isn’t defamatory, prejudicial, presumptuous and right out to lunch, it would be humorous.

Should I lower myself to your juvenile level? OK, let me ask you this: “When did you stop beating your wife?”

In that vein, what you should be concerned about is what I don’t read, not what I read.

More to the point, would it not be possible to keep these posts focused on dealing with aviation issues, rather than on the personal characteristics of those who contribute to the conversations?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

RippleRock wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:59 pm
rxl wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:45 am

You you appear to be the only one attempting to make something political out of it.

You're a few months late to the party buddy.

If you read the original article I was commenting on, you'd see there was plenty of political in it. Only Marxists read the WP, so I was a little surprised to see Ray quote it.

Is it not ok to be surprised, and say so?
I don’t follow your posts closely. Sorry.
Out of all of the ridiculous posts on this forum, to suggest that someone has an extreme political point of view based on a newspaper that they cite has to rank right up near the top of the hit parade.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Only Marxists read the WP,
The WP has won 69 Pulitzer Prizes.

Info wars, Newsmax, The Rebel, OAN and Fox News have a combined total of...zero.

Thanks Ripplerock, but I’ll keep my Marxist newsletter subscription.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Rockie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 am
Only Marxists read the WP,
The WP has won 69 Pulitzer Prizes.

Info wars, Newsmax, The Rebel, OAN and Fox News have a combined total of...zero.

Thanks Ripplerock, but I’ll keep my Marxist newsletter subscription.
Pulitzer, yes. Moral "intellectuals" awarding members of their own club since 1917.

I missed you Rock. Where have you been? Your post count missed you too, as have all the youngsters you haughtily lord over posing as a superior morality figure in other threads. Good work in the Pfizer thread btw.

I will say the WP suits you perfectly, :rolleyes: but not legit posters like Ray or Rudder.

I'm done with this one. I'll let you know with a PM when I start to care about who you subscribe to.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

If by “intellectuals” you mean people with a functioning brain I have to agree with you. I’m also forced to agree with your opinion that it doesn’t include you.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Boeing 737 Max to Resume Passenger Flights in Brazil

Gol Airlines, a Brazilian carrier, said it planned to start flights aboard the Boeing 737 Max on Wednesday, making it the first airline to fly passengers on the plane since it was grounded worldwide almost two years ago.

The first flights will be on domestic routes to and from Gol’s hub in São Paulo, with the company expecting all seven of the Max planes in its fleet to be updated and cleared to fly by the end of the month. A Gol spokeswoman declined to provide further details.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/08 ... ronavirus

Return to “Air Canada”