Hearing Aids

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GIMD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hearing Aids

Post by GIMD »

Questions for anyone with hearing aids:

I just got fitted with invisible-in-the-canal hearing aids. Was worked up years ago by an ENT and told nothing serious wrong but I’d some day likely benefit from getting hearing aids.

Any advice/experience on how this will affect my Class 3 medical? Do I just do the basic behind the back whisper test with the aids in or should I get my audiologist to do a formal hearing test with aids in place and bring this to the medical exam? Can I get my medical renewed on the spot or will CAME need to send paperwork to TC?

In the USA, you can get your medical approved with “hearing amplification required” so you can use hearing aid or headset with volume turned up. From what I’ve read, in Canada the only option in “hearing aids required”. Is this true?

Any issues with wearing headset over hearing aids? I have a Bose A20 which I’d like to continue to use.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by photofly »

According to Standard 424...
https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-servi ... training-1

You can use hearing aid(s) for a Category 3 (PPL) medical exam but not for Cateogry 2 or 1 (CPL), and then the medical certificate is endorsed "Valid only when wearing a satisfactory hearing aid".

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Just read through that list.

Interestingly, a "speech defect or stutter" is disqualifying for class I and III medicals, but not class II. Controllers are exempt from that one for some reason. Also, wearing prescription sunglasses at night is verboten, but it says nothing about regular sunglasses. Good reading.

Back on topic, the actual text is this:
Transport Canada wrote:For a Class I:
1.32 (2) The use of individual hearing aids during voice or practical testing is not permitted unless flexibility has previously been granted in accordance with Part IV, Subpart 4 of the CARs.

For a Class III:
3.32 (4) Where a hearing aid is required to meet the requirements of paras. 3.31 or 3.32 the validation certificate shall be endorsed "Valid only when wearing a satisfactory hearing aid".
Paragraph 31 is the whisper test, 32 is the pure tone audiometer test.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm now running on a "Private" certificate, but my restriction reads: "Must wear hearing aids or noise cancelling headset."

I actually have to remove the hearing aids when I wear NC headsets as there is some feedback in the aids when the NC is activated...

Return to “Health & Fitness”