North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

Don't forget your ray-bans and silk scarf, you can barter them for a 10 dollar box of mac and cheese up there
---------- ADS -----------

shwaman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shwaman »

Hey all, don't want to get into college or not debate again, but it is disturbing some of the posts on here....obviously the college programs are misunderstood. Yes I am a college grad too, as well as university... does this make me a better pilot, or person?? or even necessarily smarter than someone who didn't go this route? NO...absolutely not. The only thing I have to say I strongly disagree with is the statement that these programs are just a prolonged 2 year ground school. It goes way beyond that, in fact that is something I found frustrating at the time, all I wanted to do was fly, and learn about flying, why did I have to take all this in depth electricity, university engineering level mechanics, fluid dynamics, english!?, the list of non ground school subjects goes on....
I don't mean to start an argument in anyway, and I am not suggesting that due to taking the program that I am better off than others, some of the most knowledgeable people I have met have no extra education whatsoever....It is just that I have taught ground schools at a flight school, and college was in no way a two year version of that.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

North Wright

Post by just curious »

After discarding the chaff from the replies, there is a couple grains of truth to be gleaned from all this.

One is that Warren will insist on an Av College Diploma from his low time applicants. This is due to the fact that at a very low hour level you will be on your own driving an airplane he depends on for his retirement, without direct supervision, over an area that is as remote as most of the forum members are likely to see, except on TV.

While some of the college grads over the years, have a higher opinion of themselves than is merited, they will either thrive, and fulfill their college's mission statement; or screw up, have their ego brought in check and learn from it. Nobody knows who is which until they are put to the test.

Area pilots from back in the day (Northward, The Quick and the Dead, Cannibal Air) were mostly good drivers, but left several mahines planted in the ridge in back of the Wells. As I understand him, Warren is trying to creat the impression amongst his pasengers, (all of whom know somebody that died on the ridge) that his drivers are not a bunch of unprofessional hooligans.

Thus a white shirt and tie, and bars, are de rigeur at NWA. Otters Cessna, the whole kit. It isn't up for negotiation.

The Second is that in order to assist in his maintaining that his pilots are not unprofessional hooligans, they are kept busy. Fuelling, loading (freight, mail, drums, groceries, drill pipe, humans, recently retired caribou, fish, and humans; often on the same trip), washing, Hermaning, dispatching, oh, and flying.

If NWA is not sure of a person's worth, beyond giving them a second look, they have dispatch positions, and cessnas in the sub-bases. Ft Good Hope, Tulita, Deline. Here the work is less plentiful, and thus ill-paying. Nonetheless, this is where a tentative hire is given the opportunity to sink or swim. Accomodations are less than glamorous. If an applicant is from the big city, and most are, then the accomodations are less than adequete. These however are the conditions in which most of NWA's passengers live in, so a certain amount of empathy is gleaned by the savvier of new hires.

Surviving this, you are given the keys to a machine at a low hour level, and proceed to fly your butt off. :)

Progression is normally Cessna 206 or 207, small twin Islander or Navajo, right seat Otter or 99, left seat Van, left seat Otter or 99.

Salary was an issue that has been reviewed lately. They lost four drivers to us (sorry!) and have lost a few others to us over the last couple of years. Thus salaries improved.

It is one of very few companies around where a low time driver can wind up on a turbine machine in a very short span of time.

Fusion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fusion »

nicely put, Just Curious

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

:lol:

Last edited by CAL on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

The last place that I worked tryed to stay away from the avaition diploma guys but there were a few and most of us were from the school of hard knocks the one guy that I worked with boasted about how good he was and could fly the pane better than anyone and he was the wost pilot ever now he is scaring the sh*t out of people in Ont. got fired from our place there are lots of good pilots out there that pay to much to learn to fly :evil:

I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

The most important lessons are learned outside of the classroom (especially in aviation)! But, I too, am one of many who completed a two-year aviation degree. It hasn't helped me land a job, but did teach me a great deal of theory and technical knowledge. Everything works 'in theory' but until you test those theories, you don't really learn.

Everything I've learned in the last 2000 hours has come mostly from my own experience and from those who have flown for the last 35 years and are still alive to talk about their experiences.

A classroom is no substitute for the real thing. I'm still learning and the day I stop will probably be the day I die.

8)

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
snapped
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snapped »

PT6-144A What is the new pay scale now?

where's the snacks?
PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

I dont want to tell everyone but you get you housing payed for and a so much a month and it makes it a lot better. the guys are a lot happer. Wave

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

I heard they can do that now because they put three guys to a bed? Can you verify this?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Uh oh, corn-shoot's looking to move somewhere with more benefits.

R1830
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by R1830 »

There are places far worse than North Wright, there are far worse bosses than Warren.

It is a place where you can go and fly 1000 hrs a year, and be a Captain on a decent airplane 2 years out of school.

All their airplanes are popular in Canada so the PPC will get you a job if you so desire.

Basically you will work hard, you will load unload refuel(dpending on location) yours and everyone else's airplanes, and you will be expected to stay somewhat clean and out of trouble while doing it, but you will also fly a ton see some cool places and for the most part they are a good bunch. Crew camp in the Wells isn't the Hilton but it'll do. Recent pay raises make it easier and it seems like most people there are somewhat content for the moment.

You can fly a radial farther than you can ship a Merlin.
MacTarmac
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MacTarmac »

Cor shoot you sound like a real HERO! OOOps did I say hero I ment Ass#$%*.

Obviously you are self consious when it comes to the idea of someone completing a program that you failed first semester , or is it the fact that these students had there flight training paid for by the Government that has you so upset!

Either way I do agree with your original post

"It's a good foundation, but it NEVER makes a good pilot...NEVER. And basically, what this goomba in Norman wells is saying, is that the guy with the diploma is the better pilot..."

I do believe a three year technilogical diploma, coupled with flight training given by EXPERIENCED (5000hrs+ on real equiptment)instructors does NOT make a person a better pilot, it does however intitle them to the same treatment as the next guy who learned his theroy and basic flight instruction from a coornshoot like you.

Furthermore you mentioned something about coming through your door looking for a job. Is that the dispatch office or are you a newbie CP who has yet to learn to treat people with respect.

Anyway I could go on for longer but am on my way to Germany,and to my right ,you guessed it another one of my fellow alumni.

This is the first time I have writen into this site as it was the first time I was offended.

Dont bother to respond and expect a reply as I dont have the time to dignify it. Furthurmore hope you never come through my door looking for work with a jerkoff attitude like that.

Ps dont bother pointing out my spelling as I get paid to fly not to write.

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

Wee now we're having fun... hee hee you're right. I haven't an education, I's just a stoopid guy that wouldn't know anything about what you call an "edumecation". Like the spelling??

Or alternatively, maybe I am incredibly well educated, and I have a perverse sense of humour that drives me to make up a rediculous screen name, come on AvCanada and stir the pot with a bunch of low-life mutants like yourself. Perhaps, when I see you type for hours in frustration, I simply go to bed feeling good that there are people in this world more pathetic than I. Perhaps, my petty little, insignificant life needs retards like you, to make me feel good. Indeed, Oh, how you light up my life.

But, for all intensive purposes, let's just consider me to be a poor, uneducated slob, who's got nothing going for him but a steady job in a very silly industry, because that's the more fun angle...mmmkay, cupcake?

Hugs and kisses,

Your friendly rectal cavity.

PS. Don't worry, I won't ask you for a job, I should be fine, I can spell AND fly...that puts me lightyears ahead of you.

Props are STILL for boats and homosexuals that make motion pictures.
MurtsAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MurtsAir »

There are a lot worse place I can think of to work but the whole degree thing was expanied to me like this by the CP there at the time, That the Aviation degree people had more IFR training than other noobs and that it would cost less to train someone once they have graduated from flying the 172. Personally I think this is a bunch of BS and it depends on the pilots ability. I lump it into the same catagory of the Airforces policy of having a degree to become a pilot with them. And the recruiter explained it to me like this if I showed up there with my CPL MIFR (wich I have) and I guy showed up with a basket weaving degree they would take the guy with the basket weaving degree. Now ask your self does that make sense?

JACKASS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JACKASS »

Sorry if this has already been covered. But who the Fcuk said that a Aviation Diploma involved lots of ground school. I know of one that has nothing to do with aviation other than substituting licences and ratings for electives. For those who get a diploma that does not quilfy for a diploma transfer onto a degree, your a bunch of dumbasses for those that don't get the diploma how the fcuk are you going to make an informed comment on what is in a diploma or how it affects you.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Dear Jackass,

Thank you for your penetrating, erudite observations. We won't tell your parents you were using their computer, but run along now.

Howitzer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Howitzer »

Ahhhh N.W.A.

I worked there. And I would have to agree with Just Curious, hard work, but if you perform and step up to the plate, you can fly lots, and not to mention learn lots. It's a tough place, but it'll make you that much stronger, in terms of character, people skills, and general flying skills. Great first job. I'm glad to hear the guys got an increase in pay, well deserved, and as for the latest 4 to switch, well...each had their own personal reasons, of which were respectable.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

Is there a rotation of days off there or is NWA on a M to F sched? And being that you do flights for Canadian North do you get passes?

Thanks for the info.-GTF

con24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: North Wright Air

Post by con24 »

Does anyone have any new information to share about northwright and Norman wells???

Return to “Employment Forum”