Ontario Stay Home Order coming in.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Ontario Stay Home Order coming in.

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5868797

The province says it is issuing a stay-at-home-order effective Thursday at 12:01 a.m., which will require everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, like going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.

"Our province is in crisis," Premier Doug Ford said.
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Ontario Stay Home Order coming in.

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

And it's going to last a MINIMUM of 28 days.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I wonder if this means that all the FTU's providing "career training" will finally shutdown, or if they'll continue to remain open. Not saying all of them are, but plenty of FTU's are still providing training in Ontario, while many more are not.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 pm I wonder if this means that all the FTU's providing "career training" will finally shutdown, or if they'll continue to remain open. Not saying all of them are, but plenty of FTU's are still providing training in Ontario, while many more are not.
From the press release:

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/5992 ... save-lives

“ Effective Thursday, January 14, 2021at 12:01 a.m., the government is issuing a stay-at-home order requiring everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.”

I guess it comes down to determine if an FTU is “essential” even if it’s providing CPL/Career training. Even as an airline pilot myself, I wouldn’t call an FTU “essential.”

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Press releases and statements from the Premier are not law.

Once again, this is not a matter of individual opinion or moralizing about "essential" or otherwise. The regulations have specific textual contents (I don't think the word "essential" even appears in them) and if a business falls into one of the permitted categories, it may open.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

photofly wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm Press releases and statements from the Premier are not law.

Once again, this is not a matter of individual opinion or moralizing about "essential" or otherwise. The regulations have specific textual contents (I don't think the word "essential" even appears in them) and if a business falls into one of the permitted categories, it may open.
This is what is permitted to be open during the Grey/Lockdown period:
C597C46D-3631-4DA7-8A1D-26D3952F4566.jpeg
C597C46D-3631-4DA7-8A1D-26D3952F4566.jpeg (612.35 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
It looks like teaching for a trade is allowed, with restrictions. Does an FTU teaching CPL count as teaching a “trade?”

And would PPL instruction be allowed if it’s for someone pursuing a career as a pilot, as opposed to a PPL doing it for recreation?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

So 2 options here. As stated above, educational purposes. Second would be "transportation sector".

In my opinion, ppl related training would not qualify, cpl and any other commercial proficiency/upgrades would.

So, if you really want to continue your ppl training then you would need to sign up for the commercial package now and just drop down to ppl in a month or two.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

"Post secondary institution" is a defined term in the legislation. Most FTU's do not meet the definition of a Post-secondary institution. I told you - you have to read the legislation. You can't look at summaries, press releases, slides, or other media piffle-paffle. Read the legislation. Each business will make its decision based on the legislation.

A more significant impediment, now that a state of emergency is in effect, is that travel restrictions may prevent students from travelling to an airport. However - as I said - it's necessary to read the text of the regulations, to see. At this point in time, these regulations have not been published.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

I've been monitoring Covid19 death stats since March, 2020. Percentage of people who contract Covid19 that die?.. 2% It is a statistical constant. Yes..steady, around 2%. Yup. 2% of humans who contract Covid19 die. 90% of those "victims" are 78-years of age and older. The Covid19 death-rate is no where near the death-rate of the "Spanish Flue Epidemic" of 1918, and not even close to the death-rate of the infamous "Black Plague" (The Black Death was a plague pandemic which devastated Europe from 1347 to 1352 CE, killing an estimated 25-30 million people. The disease, caused by a bacillus bacteria and carried by fleas on rodents, originated in central Asia and was taken from there to the Crimea by Mongol warriors and traders.)..

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

DadoBlade wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 pm I've been monitoring Covid19 death stats since March, 2020. Percentage of people who contract Covid19 that die?.. 2% It is a statistical constant. Yes..steady, around 2%. Yup. 2% of humans who contract Covid19 die. 90% of those "victims" are 78-years of age and older. The Covid19 death-rate is no where near the death-rate of the "Spanish Flue Epidemic" of 1918, and not even close to the death-rate of the infamous "Black Plague" (The Black Death was a plague pandemic which devastated Europe from 1347 to 1352 CE, killing an estimated 25-30 million people. The disease, caused by a bacillus bacteria and carried by fleas on rodents, originated in central Asia and was taken from there to the Crimea by Mongol warriors and traders.)..
K. Cool.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

DadoBlade wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 pm I've been monitoring Covid19 death stats since March, 2020. Percentage of people who contract Covid19 that die?.. 2% It is a statistical constant. Yes..steady, around 2%. Yup. 2% of humans who contract Covid19 die. 90% of those "victims" are 78-years of age and older. The Covid19 death-rate is no where near the death-rate of the "Spanish Flue Epidemic" of 1918, and not even close to the death-rate of the infamous "Black Plague" (The Black Death was a plague pandemic which devastated Europe from 1347 to 1352 CE, killing an estimated 25-30 million people. The disease, caused by a bacillus bacteria and carried by fleas on rodents, originated in central Asia and was taken from there to the Crimea by Mongol warriors and traders.)..
Thanks for that. Was there a point?

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are regarding freelance instructing towards a PPL then. I assume no go? Even despite the stay at home order would freelance towards a PPL be a no go under the grey guidelines then?

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 pm I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are regarding freelance instructing towards a PPL then. I assume no go? Even despite the stay at home order would freelance towards a PPL be a no go under the grey guidelines then?
If you have an intention to carry on to the CPL then you are good to go.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Someday, when someone gets around to writing an objective history of our times they are going to marvel at how a really bad cold could be exploited to cripple an economy and destroy the middle class.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

tsgarp wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Heavy Rayn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 pm I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are regarding freelance instructing towards a PPL then. I assume no go? Even despite the stay at home order would freelance towards a PPL be a no go under the grey guidelines then?
My concern is freelancing wouldn’t fall under the “post secondary institution” on the chart provided in the comments above. I’m the one offering the instruction, I’m unsure of whether to continue or hold off for a few weeks based on these new restrictions.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:33 pm
tsgarp wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
My concern is freelancing wouldn’t fall under the “post secondary institution” on the chart provided in the comments above. I’m the one offering the instruction, I’m unsure of whether to continue or hold off for a few weeks based on these new restrictions.
It does list "Trades" training which is what flying is.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Thanks Trudeau.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Won’t change any of my habits. I don’t go out and socialize much but if I do visit family there’s always a Walmart ahead somewhere and a pilot uniform in the back. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

tsgarp wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:23 pm
Someday, when someone gets around to writing an objective history of our times they are going to marvel at how a really bad cold could be exploited to cripple an economy and destroy the middle class.
Someday? You and many others already think that. What you haven’t said, or obviously considered, is why anyone aside from an enemy would want to exploit anything to cripple our economy and destroy the middle class.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:54 pm
tsgarp wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:23 pm
Someday? You and many others already think that. What you haven’t said, or obviously considered, is why anyone aside from an enemy would want to exploit anything to cripple our economy and destroy the middle class.
Do you really think the political elite are your friends or are going to be hurt all that much by this?

Return to “General Comments”