Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Dash.Trash »

I’ll just leave this here... but you keep believing that international travel is causing the recent influx of cases pelmet...

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac- ... 08-eng.pdf
42CF7A17-9609-49FE-8E05-6737E1780919.jpeg
42CF7A17-9609-49FE-8E05-6737E1780919.jpeg (472.13 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Let me ask you something Dash.....how do you think the UK covid got into Canada. Perhaps....international travel.

Here is what I read yesterday.....

"New coronavirus variant could dominate in Ontario by next month, model shows COVID-19 cases double in 10 to 15 days, rather than in 40 days with current strain.

New modelling suggests a highly-transmissible new variant of the coronavirus first reported in the United Kingdom could — in the worst-case scenario — become the dominant strain in Ontario as soon as late February, well before mass vaccinations are set to begin in April.

The model was created by Troy Day, a member of the Ontario Modelling Consensus Table and a mathematician who focuses on mathematical biology at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.

It's based on projections of how the new variant is spreading across the U.K.

"I didn't believe it, actually," said Day, who passed his model around to his colleagues to make sure the rate of acceleration of the new variant's spread wasn't a mistake.

The threat posed by the more contagious variant partly lies in the time it takes for the number of COVID-19 cases to double, between 10 and 15 days, far fewer than the estimated 40 days of the current coronavirus strain.

"[Cases are doubling] every month-and-a-half ... compare that to if they double every 10 days. You can start to see that that would be a really horrific situation," said Day.

'It's going to be a race'
Doug Manuel, a member of the Ontario Science Advisory Table and a scientist at The Ottawa Hospital, said his reaction to the model fell "somewhere between worried and scared."

The presence of the new variant in Ontario, Manuel said, could have an impact on lockdown measures, hospitalizations and deaths.

New coronavirus variants: what's driving the virus to evolve, and what we can do about it
"It's going to be a race," he said. "If it spreads quickly, then it's going to be difficult for us to feel comfortable opening up. If it spreads slowly and we can do vaccinations quickly, then we're going to be in much better shape."

In a press conference on Friday, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario's Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health, acknowledged the threat.

"We're in a serious situation," she said. "We have had six cases identified in Ontario, and we're doing way more testing to look for it. There's probably more that we don't know about."

Provincial labs are now scrambling to pinpoint exactly how much of the new strain exists right now in the community.

Day's model is based on estimations that variant strains cause up to 0.1 per cent of all current COVID-19 cases. Finding out the precise number has become a massive effort by public health officials and laboratories across the province.

"[That's] very important for the public health response as well as public health control measures," said Samir Patel, deputy chief of microbiology at Public Health Ontario.

The new variant doesn't exist in the 7,000 samples already sequenced by the provincial lab and its partner labs since last September. Now they're digging into samples collected since December, focusing on travel-associated COVID-19 cases and those from hotspots and sending them to the provincial lab for full-genetic screening — a process that can take up to 10 days."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5866296

It ain't worth the risk. Quarantine. Don't like it, don't leave the country. We had Gilles Hudicourt this summer demanding the government open up the travel floodgates, I suspect strictly out of concern for his job with zero regard for the thousands of businesses that would have been shut down that much earlier and all the economic destruction that goes with it. I suspect you are of similar willingness.

If governments want to enact stupid policies overall, then I support other policies to minimize the results of their stupidity. A curfew is next and at least will help stop some of the party people. Fine the hell out of them. And keep the schools shut...it is only for a few more months anyways. Summer school will be fun.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Countries like Australia and New Zealand are islands which make it easier to isolate as well. We live in a country that requires hundreds of thousands of border crossings a month with the USA in order for us to survive/ eat / have any economy. We can close our border to international travellers but the essential worker crossing the border numbers are still huge in Canada compared to pretty much any other country.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

fish4life wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am Countries like Australia and New Zealand are islands which make it easier to isolate as well. We live in a country that requires hundreds of thousands of border crossings a month with the USA in order for us to survive/ eat / have any economy. We can close our border to international travellers but the essential worker crossing the border numbers are still huge in Canada compared to pretty much any other country.
Considering the billions of dollars being lost each month in our economy/government in tax loss and subsidies of laid off workers/closed business/etc with the new lockdown, one would think that the 'experts', might taken about ten seconds to come up with an idea on how to prevent an obvious transmission vector........truckers driving across the border and going to restaurants and wherever else they go.

It would have cost many millions(instead of many billions) to subsidize companies to follow new cross-border trucking procedures. The American trucker brings his 18 wheeler across the border to a large designated lot and stays in his cab while the load is detached. Then he drives straight back to the US. Another trucker from Canada, picks up the load and delivers it. Sad that people wouldn't even think of such a thing. And now, they close hundreds of thousands of businesses.

It was an obvious solution.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:55 am
fish4life wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am Countries like Australia and New Zealand are islands which make it easier to isolate as well. We live in a country that requires hundreds of thousands of border crossings a month with the USA in order for us to survive/ eat / have any economy. We can close our border to international travellers but the essential worker crossing the border numbers are still huge in Canada compared to pretty much any other country.
Considering the billions of dollars being lost each month in our economy/government in tax loss and subsidies of laid off workers/closed business/etc with the new lockdown, one would think that the 'experts', might taken about ten seconds to come up with an idea on how to prevent an obvious transmission vector........truckers driving across the border and going to restaurants and wherever else they go.

It would have cost many millions(instead of many billions) to subsidize companies to follow new cross-border trucking procedures. The American trucker brings his 18 wheeler across the border to a large designated lot and stays in his cab while the load is detached. Then he drives straight back to the US. Another trucker from Canada, picks up the load and delivers it. Sad that people wouldn't even think of such a thing. And now, they close hundreds of thousands of businesses.

The problem is you took ten seconds to think about it yourself without any knowledge of the industry.
It called cross docking, this is how the Mexican border works, Mexican driver delivers to the border and the load is unloaded then reloaded on another trailer, either Canadian or American and then a Canadian will haul the Canadian registered trailer and the American likewise.
A Canadian driver can’t just pull an American registered trailer and vice versa, so you would need a massive cross docking facility at every border crossing to accomplish this.
Now could a driver from the same company meet the driver at the border and switch trailers, sure but still a huge logistical nightmare, not to mention drivers are paid mileage so someone is going to be unhappy with their pay. There’s a reason some drivers prefer to just go east west, a lot of time is wasted at the border, not moving, not making mileage. Also, depending on how long the driver has been on the road, usually crossing the border means going home for a few days to reset their duty time, they have rules just like pilots for duty and days off.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm
pelmet wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:55 am

The problem is you took ten seconds to think about it yourself without any knowledge of the industry.
It called cross docking, this is how the Mexican border works, Mexican driver delivers to the border and the load is unloaded then reloaded on another trailer, either Canadian or American and then a Canadian will haul the Canadian registered trailer and the American likewise.
A Canadian driver can’t just pull an American registered trailer and vice versa, so you would need a massive cross docking facility at every border crossing to accomplish this.
Now could a driver from the same company meet the driver at the border and switch trailers, sure but still a huge logistical nightmare, not to mention drivers are paid mileage so someone is going to be unhappy with their pay. There’s a reason some drivers prefer to just go east west, a lot of time is wasted at the border, not moving, not making mileage. Also, depending on how long the driver has been on the road, usually crossing the border means going home for a few days to reset their duty time, they have rules just like pilots for duty and days off.
Like I said, it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars which could have been partially subsidized....which is better than tens of billions of dollars of shutdown cost. Regulation changes for trailer registration could have been passed as a temporary emergency measure. And who cares about drivers unhappy about their pay. Trudeau probably would have announced some new program for them anyways. But....instead, we are in lockdown.

Everyone comes up with excuses not to do anything. It makes one understand why nothing much was accomplished. I guess a lockdown is so much easier to manage.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I'm pretty sure truckers crossing the border then picking up a cheeseburger at some diner isn't spreading Covid...it's the 60 -person backyard parties that people are having in Brampton and Surrey.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 pm I'm pretty sure truckers crossing the border then picking up a cheeseburger at some diner isn't spreading Covid...it's the 60 -person backyard parties that people are having in Brampton and Surrey.
Once again, the same old misleading excuses to do nothing. Do you really think that truckdrivers on the road for days at a time only come in contact with people when buying cheeseburgers at Burger King(I suppose via the drive-thru in your opinion).

Don't you think that guys on the road far from home may have a tendency to do other things, maybe get a nice relaxing massage while in Canada where you probably won't get arrested like the US.....at the local truck stop massage. I met a trucker a couple of years ago and he kept on saying how great it is to come to Canada and visit his many 'girlfriends'. And I doubt they were keeping their masks on during visits this summer.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le4125177/

I admit that the big parties are probably the biggest problem. But they can all be linked together if someone meeting the truckers goes to the parties.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Rockie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 am I haven't specifically checked, but I'm certain skipping routine check-ups does not cause cancer.
Are you trying to be sarcastic? Obviously it doesn't cause cancer. But routine screening programs exist because they can catch cancer and other life-threatening diseases in early stages. With them being postponed for lengthy periods of time, lots of cancers will now be missed and only discovered in much later stages with much more grim prognosis.
All of the things you validly point out are being delayed, are delayed because the hospitals are maxed out keeping Covid patients alive.
First of all, it's not entirely true. Many hospitals were ghost towns for large periods of time since March because so much routine/scheduled stuff got cancelled and because fearmongering left many people scared to go to the hospital. Secondly, it's been nearly a year, and we're still in the same spot. Why can China build a hospital in ten days but we can't build one in ten months? Sure, you can't train up a bunch of physicians in a year, but you can train up a bunch of mid-level medical personnel who are able to do a few COVID-specific tasks like intubation with MD supervision. You can expedite license conversion for foreign-trained physicians. You can call on the military doctors, nurses and medics to fill in. You can build more hospitals - temporary or even permanent because, hey, we will need them with our rising life expectancy! This is an emergency on a scale of a war, so a war-like effort with maximum resources and maximum dedication to achieve maximum efficiency is what's warranted. Instead, we have Justin and Dougy sitting on their butts musing "Oh, what should we close next? Let me throw a dart..." while NOTHING in the healthcare infrastructure gets improved and there is NO plan for going forward other than "let's do two more weeks and two more weeks and two more weeks and two more weeks and eventually maybe we can get everyone vaccinated by the end of the decade." We are in a state of emergency with a government that is doing the usual bureaucratic bullshit where the main objective is to cover your ass and drag everything out for as long as possible and then roll-out some crappy half-measures as inefficiently as possible. They are really efficient at failing and ruining the economy, though, and our sector in particular, I'll give them that!

Will we even learn anything from this? We have an aging population and a threat of another pandemic or another disaster is just around the corner. And what we have learned from this pandemic is that in order to cut out "inefficiencies" (which they never actually manage to do; inefficiency is their middle name!) the governments here and elsewhere just remove any kind of planning margins, so any uptick in, say, sick people, just slaughters the infrastructure. Will we realize we need a more robust infrastructure and a lot more reserves of vital resources, be it trained physicians or hospital beds and equipment? Or will we continue just barely keeping our heads above water so that all it takes is one ripple to drown us?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fliter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm Are you trying to be sarcastic? Obviously it doesn't cause cancer. But routine screening programs exist because they can catch cancer and other life-threatening diseases in early stages.
You don’t remember writing this? I understand your frustration, but it would be better directed at people who refuse to follow recommendations. It’ll be a lot more useful than railing against the government about things you only think you know about but don’t.
fliter wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:07 pm
The measures currently in place are far more likely to give grandma cancer. Simply because so many routine check-ups and screenings have either been postponed for months by the doctors or by patients themselves because the fear-mongering has them terrified of entering any health care facility.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

The selfishness of this generation never will cease to amaze me. Other generations had to go to war .. this generation : stay at home. EASY!

But waaaa my job, my family, my friends. My sports.! Boo hoo hoo..

There’s a pandemic.. the best way to cure it is to “ isolate and not roam! “Stay the F at home!”

This guy has figured it out! He should run for PM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2XxgHIXk

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

GhostRider6 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 am The selfishness of this generation never will cease to amaze me. Other generations had to go to war .. this generation : stay at home. EASY!

There’s a pandemic.. the best way to cure it is to “ isolate and not roam! “Stay the F at home!”

You seem angry, do you need a hug?

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

Dash.Trash wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:57 am I’ll just leave this here... but you keep believing that international travel is causing the recent influx of cases pelmet...

International travel has been cut down since March so I don't really understand what your point is.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Avi-Nation wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am
Dash.Trash wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:57 am I’ll just leave this here... but you keep believing that international travel is causing the recent influx of cases pelmet...

International travel has been cut down since March so I don't really understand what your point is.
The point would be, that further restrictions are unnecessary. Given that under current guidelines, there is little transmission from travel.

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm You don’t remember writing this?
Ok, you caught me on a technicality. Feeling proud now? Don't forget your brownie points.

I am pretty sure my point is quite clear: cancelling routine screenings will drive up cancer deaths and will result of lives and many years of lives lost (as it's not just the 80+ crowd that dies from cancer, unlike the bad cold which locked up the whole world).
I understand your frustration, but it would be better directed at people who refuse to follow recommendations. It’ll be a lot more useful than railing against the government about things you only think you know about but don’t.
Oh, and you think you know. Cause you are so smrt?

People like you are like five-year-olds. "Mommy told me that if I don't misbehave, I'll get a cookie after dinner." Oh, if only we follow the "recommendations", the virus will magically disappear like a reward for good behaviour. Newsflash: the virus doesn't give a crap about our idiotic politicians and their equally idiotic recommendations. If you think that the government is full of noble dedicated leaders who listen carefully to expert recommendations, you are about as naive as a five-year-old. You have no idea what sort of lunacy goes on in the government and the public service. But you are so proud of displaying your ignorant condescension.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I’m not a mind reader fliter, if you say eating hotdogs gives you cancer I assume you mean hotdogs give you cancer. Try to be a bit more precise next time. While you’re doing that, has it occurred to you people might not be getting routine exams because the medical profession has their hands full keeping Covid patients alive?

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Rockie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 pm I’m not a mind reader fliter, if you say eating hotdogs gives you cancer I assume you mean hotdogs give you cancer. Try to be a bit more precise next time. While you’re doing that, has it occurred to you people might not be getting routine exams because the medical profession has their hands full keeping Covid patients alive?
How about try to stop giving out unsolicited advice to strangers? It just makes you look like a pretentious douchebag.

As for your question, do you even know how to read? Like, are you just trolling or are we dealing with a mental disability here? Since you are such a sucker for unsolicited advice here is some for you: go take an online course in reading comprehension aimed at about Grade 4 level, then after you hopefully mastered it a few months later, come back and reread my earlier post addressing precisely that. You might not agree with what I wrote, but it looks like it actually didn't even register with you at all.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

GhostRider6 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 am The selfishness of this generation never will cease to amaze me. Other generations had to go to war .. this generation : stay at home. EASY!

These arguments are so obtuse. Have you never had any grief in your life because you reflect on wars and this keeps you humble? I can almost certainly say you have complained about things far more trivial than the struggles of living during a pandemic.

I am sure there were bastard officers during WW2 who talked down to the soldiers and called their generation selfish because they got to fight with modern weapons and medicine. They didn’t experience the hand of being a barbarian gladiator. To what end can we make comparisons to undermine people’s feelings? If someone is struggling with job loss, or not being able to see family, these are real struggles. It is not for anyone else to decide how they should feel about it. It needs no comparison.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fliter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm
Rockie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 pm I’m not a mind reader fliter, if you say eating hotdogs gives you cancer I assume you mean hotdogs give you cancer. Try to be a bit more precise next time. While you’re doing that, has it occurred to you people might not be getting routine exams because the medical profession has their hands full keeping Covid patients alive?
How about try to stop giving out unsolicited advice to strangers? It just makes you look like a pretentious douchebag.

As for your question, do you even know how to read? Like, are you just trolling or are we dealing with a mental disability here? Since you are such a sucker for unsolicited advice here is some for you: go take an online course in reading comprehension aimed at about Grade 4 level, then after you hopefully mastered it a few months later, come back and reread my earlier post addressing precisely that. You might not agree with what I wrote, but it looks like it actually didn't even register with you at all.
Well, somebody got left at home without a babysitter.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Winning friends and influencing peoplehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/public ... -1.5865600

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”