Callback Timeline

Discuss topics relating to Cargojet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Throwaway91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Callback Timeline

Post by Throwaway91 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Throwaway91 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 pm Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find some info on a commuting policy with CJ... haven’t found much of anything so far which leads me to believe this isn’t an option.

Does anyone know if there is a policy in place or is the options either live where you’re based or pay full fares to commute in.

Thanks all,

T
You have the option of jumpseating on company flights if you happen to be living in a city that Cargojet serves. There are also myIDTravel passes available with Air Canada.

As far as scheduling, I believe that no "commuting" policy exists per se, you would be responsible to be in Hamilton for your assigned flights and to make arrangements accordingly. Presumably, you could bid for as many long pairings as you can back to back and then try to stack your days off together. However, with the new duty regs it's likely going to be more difficult to do so going forward.
With the new pilot contract, didn't Cargojet pilots get confirmed economy flights to and from YHM and 4 commuting hotel nights per month? Or am I mixing that up with something else?
Perhaps - it's not in the publicly available CBA that I've seen but it might be published as an LOU. I'm new with the company so I haven't seen it as of yet, but someone who's been employed by Cargojet longer would have that information. Please correct me if I haven't passed on the most current information!

As it is, I don't think there are many airline flights to YHM at the present time with the exception of WestJet from YYC and Swoop from YEG. Hopefully, once the COVID-19 situation starts to blow over YHM will start to regain some of its air service which would certainly make life easier for commuters.
---------- ADS -----------

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Throwaway91 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 pm Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find some info on a commuting policy with CJ... haven’t found much of anything so far which leads me to believe this isn’t an option.

Does anyone know if there is a policy in place or is the options either live where you’re based or pay full fares to commute in.

Thanks all,

T
You have the option of jumpseating on company flights if you happen to be living in a city that Cargojet serves. There are also myIDTravel passes available with Air Canada.

As far as scheduling, I believe that no "commuting" policy exists per se, you would be responsible to be in Hamilton for your assigned flights and to make arrangements accordingly. Presumably, you could bid for as many long pairings as you can back to back and then try to stack your days off together. However, with the new duty regs it's likely going to be more difficult to do so going forward.
With the new pilot contract, didn't Cargojet pilots get confirmed economy flights to and from YHM and 4 commuting hotel nights per month? Or am I mixing that up with something else?
As far as I know, that was a LOU for pilots hired before certain date (probably before the new agreement was ractified). New hires dont get that deal.

I know phone interviews were done last week. Anyone heard back for Zoom interview with CP?

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

Hey all,

Does anyone know if CJ will continue hiring? I Have just north of 2200 TT mostly jet/ multi crew turboprop and an ATPL, although not much in comparison with the current industry standard, but I’m hopeful lol. I applied early January with no call back. Has anyone else with similar credentials get a call back? Just curious about my odds haha

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Skydweller777 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:40 pm Hey all,

Does anyone know if CJ will continue hiring? I Have just north of 2200 TT mostly jet/ multi crew turboprop and an ATPL, although not much in comparison with the current industry standard, but I’m hopeful lol. I applied early January with no call back. Has anyone else with similar credentials get a call back? Just curious about my odds haha
I have similar credentials as you (about 2500 hours mostly multi crew turboprop at a regional airline and a decent amount of PIC experience). I haven't heard anything back either. I am guessing they are looking to snatch up the type rated 767/777 pilots first and that they prefer mid/large size jet time to turboprop time.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Skydweller777 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:40 pm Hey all,

Not to be pessimistic but when Flair opened up recruiting they had 900 applicants in 2 weeks with significant numbers (200+) of those above 10 000 hours. I imagine Cargojet has the same. Likely in order to be competitive for FO you'd need to be in the 8k-10k+ TT range with previous Boeing PIC time.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Good morning.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding March ground course?

Cheers!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Do NOT stop applying. You may be just the fit for them. Do not pay attention to negative noise, no matter how realistic it may be!

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

ayseven wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:00 am Do NOT stop applying. You may be just the fit for them. Do not pay attention to negative noise, no matter how realistic it may be!
Sounds good, I will try again
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding March ground course?

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cxchd »

The ground schools will be every month until the fall at least, so keep trying.

snm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snm »

Has anyone heard anything about the March GS? I finished all stages of the interview process on Jan 14th, haven’t heard anything yet! I assume no news is good news but getting a lil anxious.

Cheers!

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Hi. I did the phone interview early feb. Lady told me to be patient, that they take their time, no news good news, etc
I'm still waiting for the interview with chief pilot, so I emailed her yesterday, and again, she told me that they are still reviewing candidates and they have several ground school planed. So I guess we need to wait.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

Be patient folks. The operation is a small one and they are rapidly expanding.

After I had my interview with the CP it was approx 4 or 5 weeks before I heard back that I had gotten the job.

As someone else said, go with the "no news, is good news" philosophy

snm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snm »

snm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 pm Has anyone heard anything about the March GS? I finished all stages of the interview process on Jan 14th, haven’t heard anything yet! I assume no news is good news but getting a lil anxious.

Cheers!
Update: Received a conditional offer letter for March 8th GS provided the drug and alcohol test goes well. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for a response and keep applying for those who haven’t heard anything at all. Hope is more contagious than this virus. We’ll get through this!

Cheers!

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

They test you for alcohol? How much of a boozer do you have to be to just not drink before your scheduled alcohol test?

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

FL030 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:24 pm They test you for alcohol? How much of a boozer do you have to be to just not drink before your scheduled alcohol test?
When I had to do a drug & alcohol test before my current employment I asked the lady how many people failed the alcohol portion, her response “You’d be surprised”.

The company was a contractor and tested more than just pilots for what it’s worth.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Good day y'all,
Recent news? I guess March course full by now? Anyone has had interview with Chief Pilot lately?

unmaskedemperor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unmaskedemperor »

Any recent news about hiring and courses? Will there be a course in April '22? Anybody knows when in April?

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjawannabe »

Courses every month until the fall at least. I heard they took a break in February not because of lack of need of crew, but the sheer lack of training/checking capacity and needed to catch up a bit. Way, way short of ACP's.

- Many leaving on recalls to previous employers like AC and Sunwing.
- Lots of others waiting to leave as overall industry recovers.
- Meanwhile growth continues. More a/c arriving. B777F next year is still supposed to happen.

Throw in perpetually running the operation with minimal crew (then attempt to compensate by throwing OT money at the sked mess) and they're going to be behind the curve for a long time. Keep applying, the revolving door is heading up another gear.

Return to “Cargojet”