Commuting to the US for work

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Commuting to the US for work

Post by GoHomeLeg »

For those of you commuting to the United States for work, how have travel restrictions been a challenge working for a non Canadian operation?
---------- ADS -----------

pualani-mapleleaf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Commuting to the US for work’

Post by pualani-mapleleaf »

Traveling between the US and Canada has become exceedingly more difficult. You must pre-test to enter the US, that’s about the only restriction southbound. Commuters are not exempt. North bound is the problem, especially starting yesterday. Essential workers are “theoretically” exempt from quarantine but the individual local agents do have some discretion on this. The pre-test issue seems to be unresolved. Winnipeg (CBSA HQ) says essential workers are exempt, however some provinces are taking a different stance and say if your are not operating you are not exempt. It’s sketchy at best currently, to say the least.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Commuting to the US for work

Post by yycinformer »

When you're commuting, do so in uniform. It'll save you a lot of trouble and hassle.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Commuting to the US for work

Post by wallypilot »

Wear uniform, have letter from employer in hand, as well as a copy of the federal exemption. Of course taking a PCR test will alleviate any problems, but it’s not required. I’ve had an airline check in agent in LA take it right down to the wire before my flight departed, as she was was getting mixed signals from her senior manager, but I did make the flight when said senior manager talked to CBSA for a second time and got a positive answer to allow us to be checked in. Then Canada customs was no problem with my aircrew ID, uniform, and company letter.

I’ve had the opposite where airline check in was no problem, but the CBSA gave me the 3rd degree. If your company will pay for a PCR test, it makes it no Problem. But if they won’t do it, you are exempt, so just make sure you know the rules and have references in hand, and don’t settle for the first advice from CBSA if it is contrary to the exemption, especially over the phone, as some CBSA officers are also not up to speed on the entire thing.

Also, do ARRIVE CAN before check in and tick the exempt box and associated reason.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”