Adventure of a job search

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adventure of a job search

Post by butterflyRotors »

Here is a honest warning of hardships to overcome if you're curious about getting into the helicopter pilots industry.

I tried to find work in the spring of 2018 and I noted all my encounteers.

+ Alpine (Canmore) twice. Guys from last year came back,
Visited : in person avoiding too many ground crew pilot to limit competition for flying. (4 years wait)
+ Yellowhead H.(Prince-George) : seasonal work, flying very sporadically, maybe 20 hours in 5 years, living at Prince George.
+ Highland H.(various bases) : absolutely no place for low time, but apparently new Chief Pilot wants to bring a program back.
+ Airspan H.(Sechelt) : Just hired a guy last month, he might get 5 hours endorsement. Not a flying job.
+ Access Fort Macmurray : Hangar empty, no phone answers, learn they were a spray company in Okotoks as well (Round up scandals going on now)
+ Ascent H. (Nanaimo) : Trying to let go of their ground crew guy, because he ain't gonna fly ever, after 3 years.
+ High Terrain H. (Nelson) : Will try to help you but there is no low time needed.
+ Mustang Fort Macmurray : Hangar empty, no phone answers
+ Phoenix : Maybe, come back next January
+ Valhalla (Kelowna) : Nope, Try next fall, lost a big contract good for low time.
+ Big Horn : It was my first person presentation and was completely failing at expressing words. Epic speech failure.
+ West Coast H. (vancouver Island both locations) : Just hired a guy last month, sorry.
+ Helijet (Victoria) : Was interviewed, not choosen.
+ Helijet (Vancouver) was interviewed, not choosen. ( need IFR rating, so need 60 hours more cross-country + IFR course = 20 000-35 000$)
+ Taiga/Ridge Rotors (Whitecourt) : Can't meet the boss in 2 days, g2g I can't afford more motels.
+ Ops Mobil / Airborne Energy (Whitecourt) : Talked to the guy, felt like I would have chances if I worked the oil & gas plants.
+ Heli-Source (Red Deer) : Not this time, try September
+ Delta H. (Edmonton) : Come back with 500 hours.
+ E&B H. (Campell River) : "what can you do to justify me hiring you?" ICS learn.ca Aircraft mechanic is the answer. Many other pilots and AME warned me after that this is a pretty much useless course, but knowledge is always valuable.
+ Synergy aviation (Whitecourt) : they got their own school. they hire their student.
+ Great Slave Helicopter (Calgary) Just hired last week, come back in fall. They Called my school for hawks but I never left them a resumé so I wasn't aware of the opening in time.
+ Sierra H. (Vancouver) : I ask "How can I get to your hangar sir ?" he says "Its hidden because we dont hire low time"
+ Aurora (kelowna) : This is not a good time, C.P. is busy (reached them by phone weeks ago; said straight no for low time)
+ Sky Helicopter (Vancouver) : both pilots are flying... okay maybe too small for me.
+ Peregrine H. (Hinton) Hangar empty, called ; don't hire ground crew, too small company.
+ Blackcomb Aviation ( Vancouver & Pemberton ): Base managers away, have to try later.
+ Eagle Helicopters (calgary) : saw an add for Store Clerk, sent resume, tried to meet the guy but only on appointments.
+ L.R. Helicopters(Calgary) : wish I did my training there, they hire low time to fly for the news (reach 500hrs possible quickly)
+ Heli-source(Red Deer) : they hired 1 new guy already. they only take students from MVH (1 per year I guess)
+ Canadian Helicopters ( canada wide ) : you better be a pilot already. 500 hrs.

Other cies I have called : and probably didn't bother to visit because of the low or absent positive feedback.

Kootenay valley H.
Canadian H.
Lakeshore.
Farwest.
Eclipse.
Sloan.
BlackSwan.
Valley B.
Lakelse.
Baileys (there would be a few hopes there)
Panorama.
Heli Dynamics
Cold Stream
Star H.
Passeport Helico ( French school, hire their students to reach 500 hrs with city news flying near Montreal)

I tried to make a start in the industry. Was 29 years old, got engineer mechanical background, military, made a kick ass good looking resumé, presented myself professionally.15 000 kms later, weeks of road trip and many days in motels and AirB&B, so many companies I reached out to, still unemployed. So months later after my search I ended up deciding to cancel the pilot path cause of failing pilot proficiency check (PPC) flight, sort of twice in 2 days. My school let me train and get the CPL but now that I gave em my 70000$ on the RH44 their truth came out haha. They let me check the box of one of my dream tho, I did fly helicopters.

Persistence is key indeed, and also having the skills for a pilot will help. Don't trust the feedback while at school. Call those companies back, see what they have to say about low time 100 hrs pilot.

( LOW TIME PILOT JOB - FLIGHT TRAINING - FLYING HELICOPTERS - 100 HOURS PILOT )
---------- ADS -----------

fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Adventure of a job search

Post by fijdor »

I have to give you a tumbs up for trying, well done. :smt023

There is more than passport Helico on the East side of Canada, I am just saying.

Good luck to you and I hope you will find your dream job.

JD

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Good on you for trying!

Dont give up cause this industry is all about timing!

That said,

People ask me if it’s worth getting into helicopters and for the time being no, it’s been tough for years! Its honestly looking more practical to go to the states, train and get an instructors rating and see if you can get a work visa from the school.....then if nothing else it’s hours.

Better option all together is to go fixed wing

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Persistence is key indeed, and also having the skills for a pilot will help. Don't trust the feedback while at school. Call those companies back, see what they have to say about low time 100 hrs pilot.
Just in case someone in training (or considering getting into the industry) is reading, I'll say it again...

NEVER forget, the primary purpose of a flight school is NOT to get you a job or make you employable. The primary purpose of a flight school is to SELL flight training.

Glenn

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

butterflyRotors wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:30 pm Here is a honest warning of hardships to overcome if you're curious about getting into the helicopter pilots industry.

I tried to find work in the spring of 2018 and I noted all my encounteers.

+ Alpine (Canmore) twice. Guys from last year came back,
Visited : in person avoiding too many ground crew pilot to limit competition for flying. (4 years wait)
+ Yellowhead H.(Prince-George) : seasonal work, flying very sporadically, maybe 20 hours in 5 years, living at Prince George.
+ Highland H.(various bases) : absolutely no place for low time, but apparently new Chief Pilot wants to bring a program back.
+ Airspan H.(Sechelt) : Just hired a guy last month, he might get 5 hours endorsement. Not a flying job.
+ Access Fort Macmurray : Hangar empty, no phone answers, learn they were a spray company in Okotoks as well (Round up scandals going on now)
+ Ascent H. (Nanaimo) : Trying to let go of their ground crew guy, because he ain't gonna fly ever, after 3 years.
+ High Terrain H. (Nelson) : Will try to help you but there is no low time needed.
+ Mustang Fort Macmurray : Hangar empty, no phone answers
+ Phoenix : Maybe, come back next January
+ Valhalla (Kelowna) : Nope, Try next fall, lost a big contract good for low time.
+ Big Horn : It was my first person presentation and was completely failing at expressing words. Epic speech failure.
+ West Coast H. (vancouver Island both locations) : Just hired a guy last month, sorry.
+ Helijet (Victoria) : Was interviewed, not choosen.
+ Helijet (Vancouver) was interviewed, not choosen. ( need IFR rating, so need 60 hours more cross-country + IFR course = 20 000-35 000$)
+ Taiga/Ridge Rotors (Whitecourt) : Can't meet the boss in 2 days, g2g I can't afford more motels.
+ Ops Mobil / Airborne Energy (Whitecourt) : Talked to the guy, felt like I would have chances if I worked the oil & gas plants.
+ Heli-Source (Red Deer) : Not this time, try September
+ Delta H. (Edmonton) : Come back with 500 hours.
+ E&B H. (Campell River) : "what can you do to justify me hiring you?" ICS learn.ca Aircraft mechanic is the answer. Many other pilots and AME warned me after that this is a pretty much useless course, but knowledge is always valuable.
+ Synergy aviation (Whitecourt) : they got their own school. they hire their student.
+ Great Slave Helicopter (Calgary) Just hired last week, come back in fall. They Called my school for hawks but I never left them a resumé so I wasn't aware of the opening in time.
+ Sierra H. (Vancouver) : I ask "How can I get to your hangar sir ?" he says "Its hidden because we dont hire low time"
+ Aurora (kelowna) : This is not a good time, C.P. is busy (reached them by phone weeks ago; said straight no for low time)
+ Sky Helicopter (Vancouver) : both pilots are flying... okay maybe too small for me.
+ Peregrine H. (Hinton) Hangar empty, called ; don't hire ground crew, too small company.
+ Blackcomb Aviation ( Vancouver & Pemberton ): Base managers away, have to try later.
+ Eagle Helicopters (calgary) : saw an add for Store Clerk, sent resume, tried to meet the guy but only on appointments.
+ L.R. Helicopters(Calgary) : wish I did my training there, they hire low time to fly for the news (reach 500hrs possible quickly)
+ Heli-source(Red Deer) : they hired 1 new guy already. they only take students from MVH (1 per year I guess)
+ Canadian Helicopters ( canada wide ) : you better be a pilot already. 500 hrs.

Other cies I have called : and probably didn't bother to visit because of the low or absent positive feedback.

Kootenay valley H.
Canadian H.
Lakeshore.
Farwest.
Eclipse.
Sloan.
BlackSwan.
Valley B.
Lakelse.
Baileys (there would be a few hopes there)
Panorama.
Heli Dynamics
Cold Stream
Star H.
Passeport Helico ( French school, hire their students to reach 500 hrs with city news flying near Montreal)

I tried to make a start in the industry. Was 29 years old, got engineer mechanical background, military, made a kick ass good looking resumé, presented myself professionally.15 000 kms later, weeks of road trip and many days in motels and AirB&B, so many companies I reached out to, still unemployed. So months later after my search I ended up deciding to cancel the pilot path cause of failing pilot proficiency check (PPC) flight, sort of twice in 2 days. My school let me train and get the CPL but now that I gave em my 70000$ on the RH44 their truth came out haha. They let me check the box of one of my dream tho, I did fly helicopters.

( LOW TIME PILOT JOB - FLIGHT TRAINING - FLYING HELICOPTERS - 100 HOURS PILOT )

Just out of curiosity, all the places that you didn't go to, what were the reasons not to. Towns to small, didn't want to drive there .....?

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

This all sounds familiar. The owner of Delta told me to get the @#$! out of his hanger. The Bitch at reception tossed my resume in garbage in front of me at Canadian. Had similar experience every spring of rejection.

Worked for Alpine as ground for two years, didn't go anywhere
Worked a summer for easily the biggest asshole in the business. Met lots of other companies chasing fires and the next year one took pity on me for working for such an asshole and gave me job co-joe on a s58. First summer the job feel through when the blew up an engine, The next year got the job co-joeing, chasing fires. Got let go at the first rain in the fall. Never got endorsed on the 58.
Walked into highlands CPs office, he eyed me up. Said he had nothing, but the FBO was hiring re-fuelers, a job I had done in YYC. Went downstairs got job that afternoon, moved to YVR.
Ran into highlands cp in the hanger in my fueling uniform. Crusty @#$! mentored me, guy was an industry legend.
Got a job with highland 6 months later, worked in stores for a year, was told everyday by the CP I would be fired. Learned how horrific my flight training really was preparing me for a job. I knew nothing out of flight school. Got my PPC the next spring and was turned loose in the mac.....
All told was 5 years, CPL to PPC.

Last time I looked for work, I would press send. Go get a fresh coffee, and answer the phone to chat with CP calling me back to offer work. Feels good, and I remember the assholes from being a low timer.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Mole wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm This all sounds familiar. The owner of Delta told me to get the @#$! out of his hanger. The Bitch at reception tossed my resume in garbage in front of me at Canadian. Had similar experience every spring of rejection.

Worked a summer for easily the biggest asshole in the business. Met lots of other companies chasing fires and the next year one took pity on me for working for such an asshole and gave me job co-joe on a s58. First summer the job feel through when the blew up an engine, The next year got the job co-joeing, chasing fires. Got let go at the first rain in the fall. Never got endorsed on the 58.
Walked into highlands CPs office, he eyed me up. Said he had nothing, but the FBO was hiring re-fuelers, a job I had done in YYC. Went downstairs got job that afternoon, moved to YVR.
Ran into highlands cp in the hanger in my fueling uniform. Crusty @#$! mentored me, guy was an industry legend.
Got a job with highland 6 months later, worked in stores for a year, was told everyday by the CP I would be fired. Learned how horrific my flight training really was preparing me for a job. I knew nothing out of flight school. Got my PPC the next spring and was turned loose in the mac.....

Last time I looked for work, I would press send. Go get a fresh coffee, and answer the phone to chat with CP calling me back to offer work. Feels good, and I remember the assholes from being a low timer.
That was a good read lol! And unfortunately par for course, ps the “biggest asshole in the business” that’s gotta be something there being so many! 🤣

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:51 am
The Mole wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm This all sounds familiar. The owner of Delta told me to get the @#$! out of his hanger. The Bitch at reception tossed my resume in garbage in front of me at Canadian. Had similar experience every spring of rejection.

That was a good read lol! And unfortunately par for course, ps the “biggest asshole in the business” that’s gotta be something there being so many! 🤣
Biggest asshole is subjective. Heres a story
The next year i ran into said asshole on fires. Ramp packed with aircraft as usually for end of day. Suddenly you hear to people screaming at each other like there's going to be fight. Its asshole and his new ground crew/apprentice. Everyone perks up. The apprentice just screams @#$! you i quit. Not 2 seconds later, a guy on heavy screams, hey kid where hiring and you got a job.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Mole wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am

The next year i ran into said asshole on fires. Ramp packed with aircraft as usually for end of day. Suddenly you hear to people screaming at each other like there's going to be fight. Its asshole and his new ground crew/apprentice. Everyone perks up. The apprentice just screams @#$! you i quit. Not 2 seconds later, a guy on heavy screams, hey kid where hiring and you got a job.
Say no more I know who that is, let me guess, a company out of southern Alberta 🤣

Thumper45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thumper45 »

Reading this make me thankful for the choice I made to go fixed wing.

Just a heads up though, Sky Helicopters is very local to me. I have been there many times and in fact my ex worked for the parent company that owns Sky. You may want to check in with them again.
I know all the people there and they are a good bunch. Might be worth getting in touch with them again if you want to keep trying.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Another good indicator of this beleaguered industry. Way too much famine and far too little feast. There is some hope..... just not much in Canada lol

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am

Pretty sure I know this guy, hard to say lots of jerks in this game

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

'The mole'.

I had figured I knew you from one of your previous post, but as you elaborated on your work history in this thread, it became obvious who you are.

Cheers.
Ray from HHL

“Bob”
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by “Bob” »

I notice all of these places are south of 60.

Everyone I knew who was ultimately successful in rotary that wasn’t from the military went up to the Arctic to break into it.

And not Whitehorse or Yellowknife. Like Norman Wells, Tuktoyaktuk, and Winnipeg.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

“Bob” wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 am I notice all of these places are south of 60.

Everyone I knew who was ultimately successful in rotary that wasn’t from the military went up to the Arctic to break into it.

And not Whitehorse or Yellowknife. Like Norman Wells, Tuktoyaktuk, and Winnipeg.
Hehe, I see what you did there

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

“Bob” wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 am I notice all of these places are south of 60.

Those days are long gone

Return to “Helicopter Forum”