Another Group Unionizes

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Another Group Unionizes

Post by Splash »

I wonder what took them so long? Better late than never I guess. It's unfortunate that it did not come early enough to save some of the other @ 3,000 jobs that got contracted out.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6036010
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Another Group Unionizes

Post by Longtimer »

I wonder however, how many of those who lost their jobs , voted to approve the sale along with the $$$ for their shares. I guess a case of the devil you know vs the one you don't.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Longtimer wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm I wonder however, how many of those who lost their jobs , voted to approve the sale along with the $$$ for their shares. I guess a case of the devil you know vs the one you don't.
Nobody got to vote on the sale, it was a done deal before ever being revealed to the employees.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

I thought the sale was approved by the shareholders (including employee owners)?
(WJA.TO) says its shareholders and optionholders voted to approve a proposed acquisition by Onex Corporation. The Calgary-based airline says 92.5 per cent of those who voted did so in favour of the transaction at a special meeting held Tuesday.Jul. 23, 2019

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Longtimer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 pm I thought the sale was approved by the shareholders (including employee owners)?
(WJA.TO) says its shareholders and optionholders voted to approve a proposed acquisition by Onex Corporation. The Calgary-based airline says 92.5 per cent of those who voted did so in favour of the transaction at a special meeting held Tuesday.Jul. 23, 2019
I wasn't invited.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

All WS shareholders could either attend the special meeting or vote either via the Internet with the identification code supplied, or send in a paper vote. Quite a few employees I know attended the special meeting and voted there. I used the Internet method. A package was sent via mail with the purchase prospectus to all shareholders, to their address on record (for employees and likely many retirees, that would be the address AST would have, as supplied by WS, assuming they had shares in their AST account). Incorrect or no available address information or the address of a broker or proxy would be reasons why a shareholder wouldn’t have received their prospectus and voting instructions directly.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

aerobod wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:18 pm All WS shareholders could either attend the special meeting or vote either via the Internet with the identification code supplied, or send in a paper vote. Quite a few employees I know attended the special meeting and voted there. I used the Internet method. A package was sent via mail with the purchase prospectus to all shareholders, to their address on record (for employees and likely many retirees, that would be the address AST would have, as supplied by WS, assuming they had shares in their AST account). Incorrect or no available address information or the address of a broker or proxy would be reasons why a shareholder wouldn’t have received their prospectus and voting instructions directly.
Yes, but the reality is the number of shares held by employees other than BoD members were not sufficient in numbers to sway the vote either way.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

FL410AV8R wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:31 am
aerobod wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:18 pm All WS shareholders could either attend the special meeting or vote either via the Internet with the identification code supplied, or send in a paper vote. Quite a few employees I know attended the special meeting and voted there. I used the Internet method. A package was sent via mail with the purchase prospectus to all shareholders, to their address on record (for employees and likely many retirees, that would be the address AST would have, as supplied by WS, assuming they had shares in their AST account). Incorrect or no available address information or the address of a broker or proxy would be reasons why a shareholder wouldn’t have received their prospectus and voting instructions directly.
Yes, but the reality is the number of shares held by employees other than BoD members were not sufficient in numbers to sway the vote either way.
I don't know any employees in the IT Dept or any in the spectrum of other depts I know who voted against the merger (I'm sure there were some, as 7.5% of shareholders didn't vote for it), so the big shareholders were aligned with the employees, AFAIK.

Return to “WestJet”