Bill Wehrle passed away

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bill Wehrle passed away

Post by A Regulator »

We have lost another great person as Bill lost his battle with Cancer on 4 June 2015 in Victoria BC. Condolences to all
---------- ADS -----------

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bill Wehrle passed away

Post by A Regulator »

Bill Wehrle lost his fight with cancer the other day

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Bill Wehrle passed away

Post by single_swine_herder »

A true gentleman who held me captivated in the many, many conversations I had with him.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Bill has touched the aviation lives of so many Canadians who now work across the world. His love for aviation will be in my heart forever. I wish comfort to his wonderful family.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

]WILLIAM (BILL) WEHRLE Our beloved husband, father and grandfather passed away peacefully on June 4, 2015 in Sidney, British Columbia, surrounded by the love of his family. Left to cherish his memory are his loving wife of 38 years, Cheryll; children Mark (Christine), Susanna (Rob), Dianne (Ken), Chris, Kurt (Christina), and Sarah (Josh); grandchildren Brian, Jared, CJ, Megan, Nicholas and Willow. He is also survived by his sisters Alice, Gertrude, and Marlene, Cheryll's brother Marty and sister Jennifer and their families, five step-grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents Herman and Maria, sisters Louise and Doris, and brother Herman. Bill was born March 27, 1932 in Winnipeg, to Herman and Maria Wehrle. He grew up on the family farm near Lockport, Manitoba, and in the early 1950s decided to pursue a career in aviation. He learned to fly at the Winnipeg Flying Club, where he became Chief Instructor. In 1959 he established his company, Perimeter Aviation, which grew from a one-person operation to a vibrant organization with more than 500 employees. Along the way, he logged more than 30,000 hours of flying time. His vision, determination, and intelligence enabled his company to grow and prosper over five decades. He was very grateful for and proud of the people who worked with him, many who made life-long careers at Perimeter. For others, Perimeter provided the foundation to launch them into aviation careers across Canada and around the world. He loved flying, and piloted his Duke EUJ until just a few years ago. He loved nature and the outdoors, and so enjoyed the beauty of Vancouver Island after moving here in 1997. His greatest joy was his family, with whom he shared much laughter. He led by example, lived his values of hard work and integrity, and shared his good fortune with many others. His kindness and caring inspire and sustain us. In accordance with Bill's wishes, a private family memorial will be held in the future. Condolences may be offered to the family at www.sequoiagardens.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 08, 2015

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Never had a conversation with Bill, got a chance to meet him once though when he got out of his Duke. What he started at Perimeter's flight training department was the reason I moved across the country to learn and eventually instruct on twin engine airplanes though. He was a real ground breaker in Canadian Private Aviation, as I understand it he was a big part of getting IFR training started outside of the military and Perimeter was the first school to offer the license.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Bill gave me the training for my ME IFR in May 1971. Gord Plyley from MOT did the ride.

Bill told me that when the engine on a single engine quits your troubles are over. When an engine quits on a multi engine your troubles begin.

AP

cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by cpt sweet'njuicy »

I should have added a comment years ago. Bill taught my late father to fly. I have Dads logbook as a keepsake and in it are rows and rows of WH Wehrle. Many years later Dad would die while his son was still in the employ of the company Bill started. I was there when it changed hands from family run to corporate run.

My father had great respect for Bill, Max Ward and many other Canadian aviation pioneers.

.....there are pilots....and then there are people with a pilots licence...which are you?....

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”