TC Letters

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

TC Letters

Post by avcraig »

How many of you have had TC come after you with the dreadful letter asking for blood tests, etc. during random times? I did my Cat 1 Medical and my blood pressure came out to 134/80 after the first reading and I honestly knew that was going to happen because my first reading is always high. They re tested a couple minutes later and it was down to 125/71, and then the final test had me down to 120/65 which is normally where my blood pressure sits at from what I've seen. Blood Pressure always gets me super nervous in the doctors office which shoots up the numbers but then it always comes down again after calming down. I understand the limit is 140/90 so I never was beyond that anyway but I've heard TC sends out these letters randomly when they see numbers that are even close to that.

How many of you have been contacted by TC about this kind of stuff and what was the process like? I know I can control BP with meds if I ever needed to (crossing my fingers) so what are some of your experiences with BP meds? I guess I should mention I'm 5 foot 7, 165 pounds and steadily losing weight (I was much more heavier before) and blood pressure has come down during the start of that weight loss journey so that's always good.
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: TC Letters

Post by indieadventurer »

What did your CAME write down on the TC form?

FWIW I think no Dr. that's been around and worth his/her salt will write down the first number that comes back if it's high. Most of us suffer from some sort of white coat syndrome and many will take the average after throwing out the first reading, for example.

If your CAME recorded any of those latter numbers, you're fine. Don't worry.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

avcraig wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:06 pmHow many of you have been contacted by TC about this kind of stuff and what was the process like? I know I can control BP with meds if I ever needed to (crossing my fingers) so what are some of your experiences with BP meds? I guess I should mention I'm 5 foot 7, 165 pounds and steadily losing weight (I was much more heavier before) and blood pressure has come down during the start of that weight loss journey so that's always good.
From the Civil Aviation Medical Examiner's Evaluation Guide:

"Medical certification can be granted when treatment has been successful in reducing the blood pressure below 160 mmHg systolic and below 100 mmHg diastolic"

So if you're below those numbers unmedicated, there shouldn't be an issue. Ideally, yes, you should be below 140/90 but below 160/100 is still a pass.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If you have white coat syndrome just ask your family doctor for a 24 hour take home blood pressure monitor. You will get a report from the cardiologist at the hospitals saying that you have white coat syndrome and you can show that to your CAME and they will send it to TC and you won't have problems from them for a few years.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

I too have white coat syndrome, bought an at home BP cuff and while it's not as accurate as my doctors being able to monitor it on my own between medicals has been working so far. I'm not obese but not skinny by any means either, it's amazing what a little extra exercise and small dietary changes can accomplish in regards to BP. For the OP with numbers like that I can't see you having any trouble.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You won't have a problem.

Did the CAME sign your medical?

You're good. You have a healthy BP.

Transport called me once about taking about more tests. I told him that he had bad information, that my medical was signed off, and I wasn't doing any more tests. I never heard from them again - that's about 17 years ago.

Finnegan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Finnegan »

I get serious white coat syndrome and my blood pressure goes through the roof - to the point where my doctor was going to fail my medical a few years back.
I’ve had rather high blood pressure since I was 18 (and 125 lbs) and was on a light medication. Somewhat poor diet and smoking doesn’t help. I decided to monitor my own BP and bought a good monitor, had it verified at my family doctor’s office and record my BP every morning. 6 readings about 2-3 minutes apart. I record them all on a spreadsheet and set it up to average the last five, discarding the first reading. I handed the doctor the previous month’s data and I passed the medical. I do this every renewal and I think it more fairly represents my normal BP. Typically, my BP averages about 135/84. Still makes me nervous every time.

Return to “Health & Fitness”