Did I just lose my medical? Or am I just paranoid

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Did I just lose my medical? Or am I just paranoid

Post by pitottubey »

So after my second CAT 1 appointment I received this inquest letter regarding my past ADHD (was already holding my CAT 1). Before you see the Doctor you fill out a medical assessment form and I admitted I had ADHD previously but am not on any medication.

The vague and scary part of the letter is the "NOTE: The completion of your..."

What does this mean? Is this TC's vague way of saying my medical is invalid, or what?? No ones answering phones because of covid so just let me know what you all think, Thanks!!
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
note.jpeg
note.jpeg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 10599 times
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Did I just lose my medical? Or am I just paranoid

Post by NotDirty! »

They have not suspended your medical.

If they do, they will send you a registered letter, as well as informing you that you have the right to challenge the suspension in front of the TATC (tribunal). If you provide them with the information they have requested, and they are satisfied with that information, they won't initiate the suspension process. Don't put yourself in the situation from this thread. This is not a good time to be trying to un-suspend your medical!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

NotDirty! wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:31 am They have not suspended your medical.
However, they have not completed it either.
NOTE: The completion of your medical assessment is being witheld...
Sure sounds like the medical is not valid... Yet.

Is this a renewal, or your first time?

If a renewal, did your medical examiner sign your Aviation Document Booklet?

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

It was a renewal, my second Cat 1. Yes the doctor stamped my logbook.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pitottubey wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am It was a renewal, my second Cat 1. Yes the doctor stamped my logbook.
Well that's odd because now you have conflicting paperwork. A signed medical, which should be valid for the next term, and a letter saying your medical evaluation is not complete. They should have been more explicit in that letter about whether or not it means you're grounded. Since they weren't, fly on!

I noticed on my last medical (last month) that the doctor is now doing it online, happily punching all of the responses to the questions into his computer. I quickly realized that almost every word out of my mouth was going into the online form. I quickly shut up and stopped conversing, and only answered the specific questions asked. No sense in some keyword getting entered into the form that some algorithm will later flag as problematic.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

AirFrame wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:06 am
pitottubey wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am It was a renewal, my second Cat 1. Yes the doctor stamped my logbook.
Well that's odd because now you have conflicting paperwork. A signed medical, which should be valid for the next term, and a letter saying your medical evaluation is not complete. They should have been more explicit in that letter about whether or not it means you're grounded. Since they weren't, fly on!

I noticed on my last medical (last month) that the doctor is now doing it online, happily punching all of the responses to the questions into his computer. I quickly realized that almost every word out of my mouth was going into the online form. I quickly shut up and stopped conversing, and only answered the specific questions asked. No sense in some keyword getting entered into the form that some algorithm will later flag as problematic.
Technically your medical isn't 100% "valid" until TCs doctor signs off on it - at which point you get the (what used to be) $55 bill for processing. In theory, yes your medical is valid when the CAME stamps and signs your ADB; but it's not completely kosher until TC signs off on the paperwork...

As to the latter, sounds to me like most doctors who've moved to computer based files versus old school paper. They just sit and peck away at the keyboard largely ignoring you. You could have also done the "telemedicine" renewal, and likely avoided the office entirely (assuming you meet the conditions to partake in that sort of a renewal).

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Yes your Cat 1 medical is valid.

They are looking for reports and treatment on your disclosed ADHD before completing the rest of the paperwork. Keep calling until you get through or mail/fax the information to them.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

7ECA wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pmYou could have also done the "telemedicine" renewal, and likely avoided the office entirely (assuming you meet the conditions to partake in that sort of a renewal).
Actually, I tried to book a telemedicine renewal. When I called the office to book, they said "oh, we're not doing that." Despite the TC website saying that my doctor was indeed doing that. Since it didn't really matter to me, I let it go. When they called the day before the appointment to confirm the COVID questions one of the first things the person asked was "are you doing this via telemedicine?" I said "No, I asked for that but you said you weren't doing that."

I think there's just too many new things happening all at once for them to keep up.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

That doesn't particularly surprise me. Mind you (and I can't recall where I read this, likely one of COPAs emails...), I seem to remember reading something that stated that although TC has their list of CAMEs who are willing to do telemedicine renewals it's not necessarily an authoritative list - as those CAMEs are likely the ones who've expressed their willingness to do renewals for medical holders in general. Apparently most, if not all CAMEs should be able and/or willing to do renewals via telemedicine for those patients they've seen before.

Of course, one has to also consider how difficult it can occasionally be to even find a CAME who's willing to do a renewal for a "new patient". I remember a few years back when the fellow I'd gone to for a number of years decided to retire as a CAME to focus on his family doctor practice; and how I called a large number of CAMEs off TCs list - only to be told again and again that they weren't accepting "new patients". The guy I eventually got in with found that excuse absolutely ridiculous because, as he explained it, a large portion of the CAME business is "new patients".

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

I assume you did not disclose your past ADHD diagnosis on your very first medical. If you had they would have already requested(and received from you) the information that they now want. Just send them the information and you will not ever have to deal with this request again. In all subsequent Medical’s, just say”previously reported; no change in the comments section.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Had a similar situation. Except I never received the letter asking for more info on my cancer recovery for my next two medical. So when the CAME asked me for a report, I didn’t have one. Called up TC saying I would get one but my next appointment with my oncologist was after my medical would expire. I was told have the came do the medical, as soon as he stamps it it’s valid then just get them the report when I had my appointment

Annagoli
Rank 0
Rank 0

-

Post by Annagoli »

Hi all just looking for some advice. If I go to my gp for my medical do they just go of diagnosed things or can they make assumptions there and then from gp notes of symptoms? Hope this makes some kind of sense.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

You can’t just go to your gp, unless they are also a CAME (aviation medical examiner)

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: -

Post by AirFrame »

Annagoli wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:22 am Hi all just looking for some advice. If I go to my gp for my medical do they just go of diagnosed things or can they make assumptions there and then from gp notes of symptoms? Hope this makes some kind of sense.
Please start a new thread rather than tack on an unrelated question to an existing one.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Hey all! just an update, after my family doc wote TC a letter saying im all fine now, unaffacted by ADHD and off meds TC approved my medical :D only took about a month or so for the response

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:07 am Had a similar situation. Except I never received the letter asking for more info on my cancer recovery for my next two medical. So when the CAME asked me for a report, I didn’t have one. Called up TC saying I would get one but my next appointment with my oncologist was after my medical would expire. I was told have the came do the medical, as soon as he stamps it it’s valid then just get them the report when I had my appointment
I have a pilot relative who is a cancer survivor. TC requires a supplemental medical assessment (completed by non-CAME) be completed biennially and submitted to main office otherwise he receives the ‘medical incomplete’ notice or the ‘medical suspension pending’ notice (form letters).

Learned the lesson so now independent assessment completed in advance and letter is provided to CAME to include with medical renewal submission to TC.

Live and learn. TC is a bureaucracy. They set the rules.

WhyMe1993
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WhyMe1993 »

pitottubey wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm Hey all! just an update, after my family doc wote TC a letter saying im all fine now, unaffacted by ADHD and off meds TC approved my medical :D only took about a month or so for the response
Hey man. Congratulations. I'm just curious, was your family doctor the one who diagnosed you with ADHD originally? The pediatrician who diagnosed me had his practice shut down, and might be dead now. I'm not sure if I have to get the note from my family GP or how to even acquire this note.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

WhyMe1993 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:36 pm
pitottubey wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm Hey all! just an update, after my family doc wote TC a letter saying im all fine now, unaffacted by ADHD and off meds TC approved my medical :D only took about a month or so for the response
Hey man. Congratulations. I'm just curious, was your family doctor the one who diagnosed you with ADHD originally? The pediatrician who diagnosed me had his practice shut down, and might be dead now. I'm not sure if I have to get the note from my family GP or how to even acquire this note.
I was diagnosed by I don't even know who about 20 years ago. My current family doctor that has been my family doctor for only about 1 or 2 years now attested it doesn't affect me anymore based on my testimony

WhyMe1993
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WhyMe1993 »

pitottubey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 pm
I was diagnosed by I don't even know who about 20 years ago. My current family doctor that has been my family doctor for only about 1 or 2 years now attested it doesn't affect me anymore based on my testimony
Awesome man. Glad it all worked out for you. Congratulations once again, and thanks for the information it really helps.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

WhyMe1993 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 pm
pitottubey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 pm

Awesome man. Glad it all worked out for you. Congratulations once again, and thanks for the information it really helps.
No problem! any more questions feel free to DM me

Return to “Health & Fitness”