Steam instrument repair recomendations

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Luscombeator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Steam instrument repair recomendations

Post by Luscombeator »

I have basic instruments from a 1946 Luscombe project that I want to have inspected and repaired. Anyone have any shops that they can recommend? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Steam instrument repair recomendations

Post by PilotDAR »

I've always been happy with Woodlawn instruments in Ottawa.

Bear in mind that if your instruments have radium dials, they won't touch them (sorta literally!). If the face markings or pointers have paint which is not white, but appears green, or old tan/brown, it's likely that they are radium faces, and are not cost effectively overhaulable. The fellow who mentored me in instrument repair in the early '80's (Vic LaBlanc, in Toronto) died from the effects of handling the radium dials at work, so I take it seriously. Technically, you can't even through then out, they have to be disposed of by Atomic Energy Canada. In the early '90's when the radium dials became well understood as a hazard, I sent two bins of instruments to AEC for disposal, and that was that for me with them!

If in doubt, just buy replacement new or used tagged instruments, it'll be less headache if yours actually do have radium dials.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

There is a service / shop somewhere that either re-surfaces or exchanges the radium faceplates. Not to fret. The instrument shops are aware of this service ..

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Luscombeator wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:02 pm I have basic instruments from a 1946 Luscombe project that I want to have inspected and repaired. Anyone have any shops that they can recommend? Thanks.
Is your Luscombe on a Std C of A or an OM C of A ?

Return to “Maintenance”