When to redo initial class 1?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

When to redo initial class 1?

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

how long can one let their class 1 lapse and still be evaluated against the renewal standards instead of the initial standards (which are usually more strict)?

Can you just contact a doc after 10 years for a renewal?

Many thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: When to redo initial class 1?

Post by Scuderia »

I can't find a reference to different sets of standards for initial examinations and renewals, do you know where I can find it?

My renewals are typically shorter appointments, often lasting no more than a few minutes when I was younger. But that might be only because the doctor can see I've been coming frequently, not because of lower standards for renewal. I've gone to a new (to me) doctor and had a fairly thorough examination, too.

I stand to be corrected, but the best I can determine from tc.gc.ca is that it's still a renewal even if it has been 10 years since your last examination. The doctor might recognize that and examine you accordingly.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The standard of fitness is the same, but the “paperwork” is simpler. If your ADB says you hold a category 1 medical then it’s a renewal and the CAME will stamp your ADB. If it says something other than Category 1 it’s an upgrade and your paperwork goes to TC for review and you have to wait for a sticker.

You may also need a ECG and audiology, but you need those periodically anyway.

(A class 1 renewal would be a class 1 instructor rating renewal.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:13 am The standard of fitness is the same, but the “paperwork” is simpler. If your ADB says you hold a category 1 medical then it’s a renewal and the CAME will stamp your ADB. If it says something other than Category 1 it’s an upgrade and your paperwork goes to TC for review and you have to wait for a sticker.

You may also need a ECG and audiology, but you need those periodically anyway.

(A class 1 renewal would be a class 1 instructor rating renewal.)
Apologies, category 1 medical indeed.

If you don't renew your category 1 medical, how will tc decide when to send you a category 3 sticker? Or do you just have to make sure you hold a category 1 when renewing your adb to keep things quick and easy?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:23 am If you don't renew your category 1 medical, how will tc decide when to send you a category 3 sticker? Or do you just have to make sure you hold a category 1 when renewing your adb to keep things quick and easy?
TC will only ever send you a sticker showing you have a category 3 medical when you actually have a category 3 medical. That would be when you applied for a category 3 medical to begin with, or (rarely) you expressly ask for your category 1 medical to be downgraded, perhaps because you have a condition that means you no longer qualify to hold a category 1 medical but can hold a category 3 medical. But you'd have to write to TC for that, or maybe ask your CAME at re-examination time.

Reminder: no medical has an "expiry" date. It shows a date of examination, and the law provides a duration after that for which it validates a licence. That duration depends on the category of licence you wish to pair with it and the age of the licence holder (and for the ATPL/CPL, the privileges you wish to exercise).

A category 1 medical for which the examination was performed 10 years ago is still a category 1 medical, but 10 years is outside the duration specified for it to validate any licence at all.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

:prayer:

Last clarification question:
- You hold an ADB with category 1 medical
- Last medical examination was 2 years ago
- You apply for a new ADB

Will transport send you one with a category 1 medical printed in it?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:44 am :prayer:

Last clarification question:
- You hold an ADB with category 1 medical
- Last medical examination was 2 years ago
- You apply for a new ADB

Will transport send you one with a category 1 medical printed in it?
Yes. People who haven't flown for decades get a shiny new ADB with their licence and medical printed in it, showing a date of examination 199x. They need a medical renewal, and a whatever training and flying to meet the recency requirements, then they're good to go.

shyam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shyam »

I wanted to make sure I'd be fit to fly before I invested any money into it. I got perfect scores on everything except for the eye exam. I was able to read every single line of the exam except for the very last line on ONE of my eyes. I've had what I thought was 20/20 vision my entire life (which I do when I use both eyes) and now if I want to be ATP I have to get glasses?! So. Freaking. Close.

Return to “Health & Fitness”