Crew Chief

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Wasaya Airways
Rank 4
Rank 4

Crew Chief

Post by Wasaya Airways »

Great opportunity if you are looking for a change. Great benefits. Great company to work for. 7 on 7 off rotation. Travel benefits after 6 months with numerous airlines.
Submit your resume today to careers@wasaya.com
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Crew Chief YXL.pdf
(179.75 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by Wasaya Airways on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Crew Chief

Post by chowda »

Hi!

Can you detail what the exciting part is about being a crew chief?

I very much look forward to your response.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

You get one more Loonie per hour then the cats your trying to herd. That and the title of "Crew Chief" you get to wear on your Tshirt. The exciting part is the constant battle of chasing off the groupies that want to be in your company because of your rock start status of being said crew chief.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

:D

Im also wondering what excitement they're talking about.

From my own experience, your given responsibility over people who have attitude issues, cant wrench competently, cant stay off their phones, can't read an english manual, show up late, take lonnnngg breaks/lunches, outright refuse certain tasks, etc, etc, etc.

Then you get a production manager expecting world class performance(usually because he promised that in the meeting) from an operation that almost always does not have parts or proper tooling, lack of appropriate hangerage space(sometimes outside), and an unwillingness to dish any kind of discipline for the previous mentioned issues, because they're "scared to lose who they have", regardless of how crap they are. The north is very famous for this when it comes to local employees. Doesn't matter how shitty you are if you're local.

So this bs plays out until the exciting position is vacated by the fed up individual.

Honestly, especially with todays crowd, being a crew chief is a sentence. Every experienced guy that I know now only wants to show up, do their shift, go home. None want to mentor some dipshit that cant read a tape measure or understand/read engrish properly. Its extra hassle, on top of the already crap load thats "normal", that you dont get paid for, and frankly, cant get paid ENOUGH for, that experienced guys just don't want.

As for any potential reply consisting of "what about the future for aviation" or "who's going to train/mentor the new guys", I,and a lot of others, don't consider it a personal problem, its aviations problem.

Aviation tends to play the "passionate" part when selling itself, which is because thats what most pilots fall for. There are mechs who still try to sell that, but as the market is reflecting, they're drying up. The smartphone crowd just doesn't have any of the characteristics that aviation has historically commanded, or for that matter, any demanding job.

I'd like to say its going to get intersesting going forward, but its more like the same fascination like when you watch car crashes on youtube.

Personally, its more amusing than sad.

Last edited by Pat Richard on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Well said Pat!

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Thanks!

Its from the memoirs. :rolleyes:

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:44 pm :D

Im also wondering what excitement they're talking about.

From my own experience, your given responsibility over people who have attitude issues, cant wrench competently, cant stay off their phones, can't read an english manual, show up late, take lonnnngg breaks/lunches, outright refuse certain tasks, etc, etc, etc.

Then you get a production manager expecting world class performance(usually because he promised that in the meeting) from an operation that almost always does not have parts or proper tooling, lack of appropriate hangerage space(sometimes outside), and an unwillingness to dish any kind of discipline for the previous mentioned issues, because they're "scared to lose who they have", regardless of how crap they are. The north is very famous for this when it comes to local employees. Doesn't matter how shitty you are if you're local.

So this bs plays out until the exciting position is vacated by the fed up individual.

Honestly, especially with todays crowd, being a crew chief is a sentence. Every experienced guy that I know now only wants to show up, do their shift, go home. None want to mentor some dipshit that cant read a tape measure or understand/read engrish properly. Its extra hassle, on top of the already crap load thats "normal", that you dont get paid for, and frankly, cant get paid ENOUGH for, that experienced guys just don't want.

As for any potential reply consisting of "what about the future for aviation" or "who's going to train/mentor the new guys", I,and a lot of others, don't consider it a personal problem, its aviations problem.

Aviation tends to play the "passionate" part when selling itself, which is because thats what most pilots fall for. There are mechs who still try to sell that, but as the market is reflecting, they're drying up. The smartphone crowd just doesn't have any of the characteristics that aviation has historically commanded, or for that matter, any demanding job.

I'd like to say its going to get intersesting going forward, but its more like the same fascination like when you watch car crashes on youtube.

Personally, its more amusing than sad.
Spot on, this industry is pathetic, and in a dismal downward spiral. I can’t think of any redeeming qualities aviation has over any other occupation in Canada anymore, other than you can say you’re a pilot and/or and AME.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm Hi!

Can you detail what the exciting part is about being a crew chief?

I very much look forward to your response.
The name? Lol

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

The intermediary between the PRM(guy with a limited shelf life and one foot out the door upon hiring) and the TFW, BCIT or equivalent puppy mill aviation rockstar. Well that plus a dollar more an hour and an extra 15 minute break…..maybe. Oh plus grey hair and a drinking problem with two ex-wives. It’s only for the real heros.

Return to “Maintenance”