Living near YVR

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FlackoJodye
Rank 0
Rank 0

Living near YVR

Post by FlackoJodye »

Can anyone who live near YVR give an input on the ideal FO income to live around the area? Take home pay vs cost of living.
I’m looking to live in Richmond to cut some transportation costs.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Living near YVR

Post by Col. Panic »

Ideal FO income would be about $200,000 per annum to live moderately comfortably in Richmond.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Col. Panic wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:06 pm Ideal FO income would be about $200,000 per annum to live moderately comfortably in Richmond.
Lol exactly. Who are you flying for? Consider the commute over to the Island if your schedule/commuting policy will allow for it. Your buck will go further. Realistically, no FO salary except maybe the later years at AC will give any reasonable standard of living anywhere in the metro vancouver neck of the woods.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

There *are* places available for cheap, but they are just that...cheap. one of the f/os at my place is paying $950 all in for a shared townhouse he has his own br and ba, but shares the rest. Factor in another $100/mo for car insurance and gas on top of that...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:50 pm Can anyone who live near YVR give an input on the ideal FO income to live around the area? Take home pay vs cost of living.

I made it work on 90k a year. Found a roommate and split condo costs in Steveston. The commute was easy enough but even at my salary level it was a pay cheque to pay cheque kinda thing.

All the best,

TPC

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

Your typical 703/704 FO wage is going to be in the 33-40k range. Take home will be 2200-2600 per month. If you want to live anywhere within 20min (driving) of the airport, expect to pay $2200-2500 per month minimum to live above ground. This is for your own place. If you want to rent a room or maybe a 1bdrm basement suite you might find something cheaper. Add in $1.80/L gas, the highest car insurance in Canada, 12% tax on everything you buy and you don't have to be a mathematician to figure out your financial situation.

Good luck.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:50 pm Can anyone who live near YVR give an input on the ideal FO income to live around the area? Take home pay vs cost of living.

Kind of a difficult question to answer considering there isn't ONE income that suits everyone. Without knowing your lifestyle, circumstances, schedule, base, financial situation etc, it will be impossible to give you a realistic number.

For starters, look at craigslist or marketplace for your specific housing needs to determine living costs. Add utilities etc. Then add whatever modes of transportation you desire. Add whatever else you feel you need to live your life - food, entertainment etc.

Once you have your estimated expenses, figure out what income you think you'll need. Some have made $40k a year work, while others need $100k.

Good luck

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

There's air BnB's in Richmond for $45 a night but they're gross. It's an 8 minute drive to Templeton station from there which is nice. If your check in is 5 am or earlier the train doesn't run so you have to be there for the shuttle, so driving is the best bet otherwise you're paying for Ubers which are actually rather unreliable at that time of day.

It depends who you work for and what kind of schedule you can hold but I'd live further out of Richmond and drive in myself. With judicious use of Air BnBs or a crash pad for early morning check ins. You can get to the airport in under an hour from quite a ways out at 5 am, but by rush hour it can easily take 2 hours.

I know a couple pilots who found places down town for around 1k a month, and the train goes right to the employee parking, but those early morning check ins mean a $35 cab/Uber, so again having a car is a real plus...but then parking is a nightmare. You can keep out of province insurance for 3 months for work, and 6 months for "recreation". If you have to drive to Lake Louise or Blaine once every 6 months for gas, it's worth the savings on the ICBC extortion racket.

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

co-joe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:05 am it's worth the savings on the ICBC extortion racket.
Ha! You call ICBC an extortion racket? Wait until you have to get private insurance in AB!

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

PeterParker wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:20 am
co-joe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:05 am it's worth the savings on the ICBC extortion racket.
Ha! You call ICBC an extortion racket? Wait until you have to get private insurance in AB!
I had 2 cars and a motorcycle insured in AB for cheaper than one car in BC

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

PeterParker wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:20 am
Yeah I got a quote and it was more than double with icky bicky

Return to “Employment Forum”