Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MrBurgsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

ISO Career Changers

Post by MrBurgsy »

Hey All,

I'm looking to talk to someone who changed careers and entered the aviation industry after having a "high" earning (6 figures) job. Current CFI, exploring my options of chasing my dreams as an airline pilot. Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ISO Career Changers

Post by cargocowboy »

Last edited by cargocowboy on Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

Yep me.

Dropped out of the flying game in ‘86, joined the military, uni and now finishing up a nice stable career.

Got my CPL now, starting instructor and will teach in retirement with a nice “supplemental” pension…

No regrets….

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

MrBurgsy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:05 am Hey All,

I'm looking to talk to someone who changed careers and entered the aviation industry after having a "high" earning (6 figures) job. Current CFI, exploring my options of chasing my dreams as an airline pilot. Thanks in advance
Don't do it IMO

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

newlygrounded wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:20 pm
MrBurgsy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:05 am Hey All,

Don't do it IMO
I agree. I left a high paying job in tech to fly for the airlines and am struggling to make ends meet for my family. It takes too long to make decent money as an airline pilot in Canada.

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

I did. Took a 75% paycut initially. Down to about 50% now after 4 years. I have no regrets. I'm not the type of person that can sit at a desk or in meetings from 8-5, or slaved to your cell phone or outlook calendar.

I have far more time off now, and I have lots of hobbies outside of work. I took on no debt for flight training, which would have been a deal breaker for me. My wife is supportive and makes a decent income, which also would have been a deal breaker. We have always lived beneath our means, which helps with the low income.

I have done many different things, and flying is the easiest job I've ever had. Acquiring an ATPL is much easier than a P.Eng. If all goes to plan I should be back to pre-aviation income levels in 3 years. That will leave me a solid 25 years of high income in a job a truly enjoy with tons of time off. Obviously there are risks like covid, recessions, etc, but my previous career definitely wasn't immune to ups and downs either.

Good luck.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cargocowboy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I did. Took a 75% paycut initially. Down to about 50% now after 4 years. I have no regrets. I'm not the type of person that can sit at a desk or in meetings from 8-5, or slaved to your cell phone or outlook calendar.

I have far more time off now, and I have lots of hobbies outside of work. I took on no debt for flight training, which would have been a deal breaker for me. My wife is supportive and makes a decent income, which also would have been a deal breaker. We have always lived beneath our means, which helps with the low income.

I have done many different things, and flying is the easiest job I've ever had. Acquiring an ATPL is much easier than a P.Eng. If all goes to plan I should be back to pre-aviation income levels in 3 years. That will leave me a solid 25 years of high income in a job a truly enjoy with tons of time off. Obviously there are risks like covid, recessions, etc, but my previous career definitely wasn't immune to ups and downs either.

Good luck.
That's a great write up. I think the part of your wife making good money is key. My wife decided to become a sahm just as I got hired onto my first airline so I have struggled with the low pay and having to juggle an extra job with flying to make ends meet.

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:57 am
cargocowboy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I did. Took a 75% paycut initially. Down to about 50% now after 4 years. I have no regrets. I'm not the type of person that can sit at a desk or in meetings from 8-5, or slaved to your cell phone or outlook calendar.

Good luck.
That's a great write up. I think the part of your wife making good money is key. My wife decided to become a sahm just as I got hired onto my first airline so I have struggled with the low pay and having to juggle an extra job with flying to make ends meet.
Yeah, it's a highly personal decision, so many variables. Throw in the outrageous cost of living now, and it's an even harder decision. A guy has to feed his family at the end of the day.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Gowyn wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:37 am Yep me.

Dropped out of the flying game in ‘86, joined the military, uni and now finishing up a nice stable career.

Got my CPL now, starting instructor and will teach in retirement with a nice “supplemental” pension

No regrets….
Do the rest of the industry a favour, please, and demand that you are paid as good as, or better than appropriately!
You might not need the job or the money, but some poor kid starting out most definitely does..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”