AC Pilots leaving to the US?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AC Pilots leaving to the US?

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Scuderia wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:06 pm
FL320 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:55 pm For your information I am in the process with a lawyer; for the new NIW that is applicable to pilots. At the moment it takes up to 18 months to complete the entire process (including a medical exam) then you get the green card. No need a job offer but a FAA ATP and extensive flying experience on jets. My lawyer got about 3000 applications/requests from Canadian pilots but they have selected about 220 pilots with the appropriate experience to pursue the application.
I've seen this "new" NIW mentioned in several places on this forum and elsewhere but nowhere else. Do you have more information on it?
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my- ... al-ability
---------- ADS -----------

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:04 am Major US airlines are including in their quarterly SEC filings that pilot supply chain issues are and will continue to negatively impact schedule integrity and growth. They are planting the seeds.

My guess is that the US will start by pressing ICAO for an Age 67 limit. Beyond that, they will press to increase the pilot supply chain by creating a facility within the US immigration system for either temporary or permanent resident rights for qualified pilots (either with or without an accompanying offer of employment).

Just watch.
Circle back in another year.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

a220hereicome wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:28 pm
Malfunction wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:27 pm Heard a story that at least 10 pilots from AC are in the process setting up working permits to fly for majors in the US, with 10 more behind? Is there any truth to this?
No
I've flown with 3 guys already in the process. One has an offer from a US major. It is indeed happening.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

flying4dollars wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:56 am
Malfunction wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:27 pm Heard a story that at least 10 pilots from AC are in the process setting up working permits to fly for majors in the US, with 10 more behind? Is there any truth to this?
No
I've flown with 3 guys already in the process. One has an offer from a US major. It is indeed happening.
All EB-2 NIW visas or do they have family ties/spouse from the US?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:14 pm
flying4dollars wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:56 am

No
All EB-2 NIW visas or do they have family ties/spouse from the US?
One has dual, the other two do not and are mostly through the process. That's about all I know. Costly process for a family that's for sure.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

By the time you convert your license etc it can cost you close to $30k. It's a big commitment.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

That's like 2 weeks salary if you make it though.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

787 FO went to Fedex (last year)
737 FO went to United (last month)

both had ability to work in the United States.

However many current Air Canada pilots have all their FAA ATP/Airman Certificates and just need a "green card" or such to actually work. Probably 20-30 pilots are actively doing the immigration/lawyer route to have that ability

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Oxi wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:23 pm 787 FO went to Fedex (last year)

However many current Air Canada pilots have all their FAA ATP/Airman Certificates and just need a "green card" or such to actually work. Probably 20-30 pilots are actively doing the immigration/lawyer route to have that ability

Yup, I have all my licenses and type ratings converted to FAA and all ready to go but still short on the 10 year/5000 hour requirement for the EB-2 NIW otherwise I would be in the process as well.

Mike1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mike1985 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Yup, I have all my licenses and type ratings converted to FAA and all ready to go but still short on the 10 year/5000 hour requirement for the EB-2 NIW otherwise I would be in the process as well.
Where is the requirement mentioned? that specific 10 year/ 5000 hours? It is both 10 years and 5000 hours. Can you please elaborate. Thanks.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Mike1985 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

Where is the requirement mentioned? that specific 10 year/ 5000 hours? It is both 10 years and 5000 hours. Can you please elaborate. Thanks.
I spoke with an immigration lawyer. The NIW basically says that you have exceptional skills and experience that are not found in the US market. There is no hard and fast rule but the people who are successfully getting through are all around the 10-15 year experience level and all have around 10,000 hours. I doubt anyone with 5000 hours would be making it through unless they were a military test pilot. Depends on who's desk your file lands on. If you had 20,000 hours but the Immigration guy's wife ran away with a pilot, good luck.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Mike1985 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

I believe it's both. They also mentioned that they ideally want to see candidates with above average pay compared to other pilots in the industry, membership in a professional association/union, aviation degree/diploma, and professional industry publications. All of these aren't of course required but I think they need at least 3-4 of them to make the case viable. The 10 year/5000 hour rule is what that law firm in particular put their lower limit as they have a good track record of success. I spoke with other law firms that said I would get in with my existing stats however these were not very reputable and had no prior cases with pilots.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Maybe this is a stupid question.. but I’m at a loss here.

Explain to me how, if you’re a nurse or a doctor.. you can go south of the boarder with virtually no issues. Didn’t NAFTA open that door for professionals? Are we not professionals?

What am I missing? Why are we splitting hairs on a NIW .. or marrying Americans so we can find a livable wage that’s in line with the great pilot shortage of our age.

Obviously this is not the case.. my question is why isisnt it?

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Jetlifer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm Maybe this is a stupid question.. but I’m at a loss here.

Explain to me how, if you’re a nurse or a doctor.. you can go south of the boarder with virtually no issues. Didn’t NAFTA open that door for professionals? Are we not professionals?

What am I missing? Why are we splitting hairs on a NIW .. or marrying Americans so we can find a livable wage that’s in line with the great pilot shortage of our age.

The TN visa (NAFTA) has a specific list of occupations which qualify. Pilot is not on that list, why it isn't I have no idea but could be because back when the list was made there was no pilot shortage in the US.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:10 am
Jetlifer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm Maybe this is a stupid question.. but I’m at a loss here.

The TN visa (NAFTA) has a specific list of occupations which qualify. Pilot is not on that list, why it isn't I have no idea but could be because back when the list was made there was no pilot shortage in the US.
This, but also we’re seeing companies hire nurses on eb3 visas (green cards) and not just tn visas. They’re willing to sponsor (as a TN is a non immigrant visa) so why aren't airlines willing to sponsor?

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

I highly caution anyone wanting to go through the NIW route. Lawyers will take your money for the pipe dream of being able to help get you a visa. Your best bet is through family immigration for the green card. Not to mention, should there be a flip to a republican president, house and senate in 2024, the US is on course to really tighten the belt on immigration.

A lot of talk about the NIW, but not the best results. but, if you have 50+K us to throw at it, go for it.

Tavpi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tavpi »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:19 am I highly caution anyone wanting to go through the NIW route. Lawyers will take your money for the pipe dream of being able to help get you a visa. Your best bet is through family immigration for the green card. Not to mention, should there be a flip to a republican president, house and senate in 2024, the US is on course to really tighten the belt on immigration.

A lot of talk about the NIW, but not the best results. but, if you have 50+K us to throw at it, go for it.
1) what stats do you have to back up the lack of success claims?
2) It doesn't cost that much, looking at about 25k cdn

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

It is nowhere near $50K and it is proving very successful for candidates with good experience

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:10 am

I feel like this is the question we should all be asking.. why isn't it a listed occupation?

We have lobby groups on the hill do we not? .. ALPA etc..

If graphic designers and dairy lab technicians can qualify, I see no reason we cannot? Unless there’s more at play here?

Can we be added to the occupation list? Or is it too little.. too late?

CaliforniaDreamin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CaliforniaDreamin »

Yup

Last edited by CaliforniaDreamin on Fri May 26, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”