Private aircraft oil change interval CARs reference

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Private aircraft oil change interval CARs reference

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble finding my way around the maintenance part of the CARs. I'm trying to locate the requirements for an oil change on a privately owned and operated light twin.

More specifically, I'm trying to find something that would allow or prohibit to fly more than 50 hours between oil changes (eg 55 hours). Lots of commercial operators have tolerances, not sure if this would/could apply for a privately owned airplane.

I've found this https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-servi ... s-cars#qrc which referes to "Appendix B, Part I @ 12 months + Appendix C", which I think refers to this appendix B:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-servi ... tions-cars

and this appendix C:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-servi ... n-aviation

But neither seems to answer my quesion. I have a suspicion I'm looking in the wrong place.

Any references or other shared knowledge would be much appreciated!

Regards,
digits
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Private aircraft oil change interval CARs reference

Post by photofly »

There are no strict oil change intervals for private aircraft.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:39 am There are no strict oil change intervals for private aircraft.
Thanks!

Does the same apply to the 12 month calendar time?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CAR625 Appendix B: there’s a 12 month interval for all those tasks.

“ (a) As applicable to the type of aircraft, at intervals not to expire later than the last day of the 12th month, following the preceding inspection, Part I and Part II of the Maintenance Schedule detailed in Appendix B of these standards are approved by the Minister for use on other than large aircraft, turbine-powered pressurized aeroplanes, airships, any aeroplane or helicopter operated by a flight training unit under CAR 406, or any aircraft operated by air operators under CAR Part VII.
(amended 2007/12/30)

(b) Owners of non-commercially operated small aircraft and balloons must also comply with Appendix C with respect to out of phase tasks and equipment maintenance requirements.”

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Excellent, thanks!

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Would the Engine manufacturers recommendations mean anything?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Pacqing wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 am Would the Engine manufacturers recommendations mean anything?
It’s a good suggestion but not a CAR’s requirement. Also see (I think) 605.86 & 625.86.

Same thing with inspections. There’s no requirement to do 100 hour inspections between annuals if the plane has flown more.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Read the maintenance section in the POH /AFM . That is the minimum . Most suggest oil change schedule depending on the engine fitted to that particular model . It could be argued that failure to follow manufacturers recommendations in the POH might invalidate the airworthiness . The guys selling expensive oil all claim you save money because you do not need to change it as often . Ask them to put it in writing and you get dumb looks . Follow the Maintenance schedules in the POH and you should make TBO and retain the value of the engine should you decide to sell it . An engine that has not followed the maintenance schedule might not even have a core value at overhaul .
When all else fails read the instructions in the POH :)

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

digits_ wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:44 am
photofly wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:39 am There are no strict oil change intervals for private aircraft.
Thanks!

Does the same apply to the 12 month calendar time?
Lycoming recommends every 4 months. Six months seems to be a reasonable compromise. Many private owners only change it every 12 months. No legal requirement, but it seems like cheap insurance against future engine problems.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-sav ... l-changes/

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

As far as compulsory maintenance is required, as long as you comply with the requirements of your approved maintenance schedule (which is written in the front of your Journey Log) you are good - and for small privately operated aircraft that will CAR 625 Appendices B and C. If you don't, you're in breach of 605.86(1).

Other hours-based restrictions could be found in the "Airworthiness Limitations" section of the maintenance manual; that's an approved part of that publication, and forms part of the Type Design as defined in the CARs. If you exceed a limitation (which might be hours-based for replacement of some particular part) in that section of the manual then the conditions under which your type certificate was issued are no longer met and you have no valid flight authority. That would be a breach of 605.03(1).

From what I know, it's quite rare for a small piston-powered aircraft to have any significant airworthiness limitations in the maintenance manual. Does anyone know of any?

Return to “Maintenance”