Comorant crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Comorant crash

Post by PilotDAR »

---------- ADS -----------

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Comorant crash

Post by karmutzen »

I predict the RCAF will try to hide any detail of the event, and some sharp CBC investigative reporter will get to the bottom of it. Same as happened in the Mediterranean, same as the Cormorant lost off Halifax.

Training accident that destroys the very assets that are intended to be deployed, a la Blackhawks in the snow. Sack the training staff and management, roll the dice with someone else. Day, good weather, over a huge runway at a major airport. If you can't train safe in those conditions, you're doing it wrong.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

karmutzen wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:32 pm I predict the RCAF will try to hide any detail of the event, and some sharp CBC investigative reporter will get to the bottom of it. Same as happened in the Mediterranean, same as the Cormorant lost off Halifax.

Training accident that destroys the very assets that are intended to be deployed, a la Blackhawks in the snow. Sack the training staff and management, roll the dice with someone else. Day, good weather, over a huge runway at a major airport. If you can't train safe in those conditions, you're doing it wrong.
Unless it was mechanical.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

karmutzen wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:32 pm I predict the RCAF will try to hide any detail of the event, and some sharp CBC investigative reporter will get to the bottom of it. Same as happened in the Mediterranean, same as the Cormorant lost off Halifax.
I predict that you have no idea what you are talking about. Both those previous accidents have open and transparent flight safety investigations that outline to the very fine detail exactly what happened and why. Zero cover up. To even suggest such BS and insinuate any malfeasance is libel. CBC did not “get to the bottom” of anything - if any reporting was done, it used the report from DFS as source.

There is already a working theory on the 5Ws - we got this….

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Very glad to hear no fatalities amongst the crew and hopefully a speedy recovery from any injuries incurred and back on duty soonest. SAR is a vital service through the dedication and professionalism of the servicemen/women.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

That’s a costly mishap, sometimes training for emergencies become emergencies. Hopefully the crew mend quickly and the machine isn’t a complete loss, but if it’s on its side I suspect it’s BER

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Looks like the preliminary report says the pilot seat…

https://rcaf.forces.gc.ca/en/flight-saf ... r/l15jmm95

Let’s Go Brandon
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"I predict the RCAF will try to hide any detail of the event..."

Stay away from meteorology and the stock market...

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Did the Google to see if I could find a photo of the Comorant seats. How do they raise and lower? Did that mechanism break, allowing the seat to drop?

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Hmm, more questions. Always two trained pilots at the controls on a Cormorant, training flight so presumably an instructor pilot in the other seat that never made any attempt at recovering the aircraft. The upset came from a controlled yaw right to an uncontrolled left with no collective or cyclic correction ( raising collective with have put them further from the ground, cyclic would have corrected the roll, pedal would have corrected the yaw). Any one correction could have prevented the crash. Why would a seat dropping full stroke cause so much left pedal input?

Preliminary doesn't pass the smell test.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

karmutzen wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:36 pm Hmm, more questions. Always two trained pilots at the controls on a Cormorant, training flight so presumably an instructor pilot in the other seat that never made any attempt at recovering the aircraft. The upset came from a controlled yaw right to an uncontrolled left with no collective or cyclic correction ( raising collective with have put them further from the ground, cyclic would have corrected the roll, pedal would have corrected the yaw). Any one correction could have prevented the crash. Why would a seat dropping full stroke cause so much left pedal input?

How many seconds would you have had to correct from their pre-accident position?

I could see someone fully stretch their leg when they think they are falling down. Seems like a natural reflex if you think you're falling (=seat collapsing). I've had seats move in a fix wing aircraft, it can be quite disorienting. Don't know about rotary wing, but I doubt basic reflexes change.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SpyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpyPilot »

karmutzen wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:36 pm presumably an instructor pilot in the other seat that never made any attempt at recovering the aircraft.
You weren't there so why would you make such an idiotic comment.
karmutzen wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:36 pm
Your comments don't pass the if you have any brains test

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”