Arthroscopic Surgery: declaring at category 1 medical

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bluejayfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Arthroscopic Surgery: declaring at category 1 medical

Post by bluejayfly »

I had a meniscus tear resulting in an arthroscopic surgery for my knee. I have now recovered with full range of motion and strength.
I have my category 1 medical renewal coming up next month. I have two options:

1. i report the surgery at my medical renewal. In my opinion it should not be an issue as i do not go against the musculoskeletal requirements on the TC website:
Musculoskeletal System
1.25 Any active disease of the bones, joints, muscles or tendons and all serious functional sequelae of congenital or acquired disease shall be assessed as unfit. Functional after-effects of lesions affecting bones, joints, muscles or tendons and certain anatomical defects if they are compatible with the safe performance of duties at any altitude and throughout a prolonged or difficult flight shall be assessed as fit.

However, if I report it, will my CAME forward the case to TC, and then I might have to wait 5-10 months for clearance?

2. i dont report it. i do meet the category 1 requirements. however, will my CAME ever access my SanteQuebec medical files?
Do you think i might have issues in the future?
---------- ADS -----------

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Arthroscopic Surgery: declaring at category 1 medical

Post by Castorero »

Report the surgery to your CAME.
He will examine your knee and if it is in normal operating condition, will simply declare you as fit and sign off your licence.
that's all.

bluejayfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Arthroscopic Surgery: declaring at category 1 medical

Post by bluejayfly »

Castorero wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:52 am Report the surgery to your CAME.
He will examine your knee and if it is in normal operating condition, will simply declare you as fit and sign off your licence.
that's all.
Thanks for that @Castorero:
I am happy to report that i declared my surgery at my TC medical renewal last week, and the doctor gave me an easy clean chit.
I didn't have to hide. Your reply encouraged me to be truthful.

Not all regulators around the world work this way, and at my previous country i would have had to run from pillar to post for 6months without a surety of success. I hope people take a leaf out of TC's book.

Return to “Health & Fitness”