Calgary Flying Club successful forced approach.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Calgary Flying Club successful forced approach.

Post by co-joe »

Yesterday we heard a C172 near Longview Alberta had an engine failure and made a successful forced approach in a field. As the information has been relayed to me, both occupants are safe and sound. It took a Mayday call, a Mayday relay from another club 172 nearby, and a second Mayday relay by a Flair Max 8 on arrival into YEG to get the information to YYC tower. With all those links working together, help was notified before the aircraft had even landed.

Thanks to all of those involved and hats off to the 172 pilot, I'm sure the stress level was high, but any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
---------- ADS -----------

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Calgary Flying Club successful forced approach.

Post by yhz41 »

The same aircraft mysteriously landed back in YBW a few hours later. Any forced landing you can use the plane again is phenomenal!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Perhaps they had too much air in the tanks? All they would have had to do is displace that air with a liquid like Avgas to rid the tank of that air contamination I guess?

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

co-joe wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:07 pm Perhaps they had too much air in the tanks? All they would have had to do is displace that air with a liquid like Avgas to rid the tank of that air contamination I guess?
Could be, or something like the throttle cable disconnecting from the throttle lever. Or something else like that. 🤷‍♂️

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

It took a Mayday call, a Mayday relay from another club 172 nearby, and a second Mayday relay by a Flair Max 8 on arrival into YEG to get the information to YYC tower. With all those links working together, help was notified before the aircraft had even landed.
Or they could have called an Uber on their cel phone after landing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

co-joe wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:11 am With all those links working together, help was notified before the aircraft had even landed.
Why is that important?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

photofly wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:56 pm
co-joe wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:11 am With all those links working together, help was notified before the aircraft had even landed.
Why is that important?
Evidently because it might be part of the uneventful outcome and quick reaction to getting the bird back up and running again?

I love a good argument, you seem to enjoy stirring the pot more than I admittedly do!

TPC

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Ok, busted, a bit. I wanted gently to raise the point that the fastest and most competent emergency response in the world can’t provide any help in that scenario until you’re down on the ground, and it’s an error to fuss about communications at the price of controlling the aircraft. Don’t crash the plane to fly the radio, as my instructor used to say. That’s not what happened here but the rapidity with which a distant ATC unit was notified and the complexity of the communication path are to me less interesting than, say, the accuracy of the position fix with which ATC was provided, or other features that in the event of a less satisfactory outcome would have made a bigger difference.

You can shoot me now.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:56 am
O Don’t crash the plane to fly the radio, as my instructor used to say.
First time I flew in NW Ontario and ATC said, "GABC, service terminated, call us back in 100 miles on 123.00" (at 9000'!) -- I was reminded of this. Dead quiet on 126.70

Took awhile to get used to that. Then I began to like it, and play tunes......

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:39 am
First time I flew in NW Ontario and ATC said, "GABC, service terminated, call us back in 100 miles on 123.00" (at 9000'!) -- I was reminded of this. Dead quiet on 126.70

Hehe

*zen*

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:19 am

Hehe

*zen*
Never seen that. Seen 65 -70 NM a lot.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:49 pm

Hehe

*zen*
Sometimes it can mean that there is no database.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

pelmet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:21 am
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:49 pm

Hehe

*zen*
Sometimes it can mean that there is no database.
Not sure if it's the case with the 150XL, but with mine, I can adjust the NRST parameters to exclude grass or gravel strips, strips under a certain length or out past a certain distance. If you crank those values up too high, it'll say "no nrst".

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Why is that important?
Imagine the stress of making an actual forced approach to a farmers field? I practised many many of them back in my single engine days, but every now and then I missed the field, or would have overrun the field into a barbed wire fence. Hearing that the relay of my Mayday has made it to an ATC unit would be a welcome feeling at a stressful time.

STARs air ambulance calls itself "a link in the chain of survival", break one link and the patient doesn't make it to hospital. It's a way of reminding us that every link is just as important as the next, so being one of those links is a pretty good feeling. The trauma surgeon is no more of an important link than the kid who picks up the phone and dials 911 when their parent has a heart attack.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

co-joe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:34 pm
Why is that important?
Imagine the stress of making an actual forced approach to a farmers field? I practised many many of them back in my single engine days, but every now and then I missed the field, or would have overrun the field into a barbed wire fence. Hearing that the relay of my Mayday has made it to an ATC unit would be a welcome feeling at a stressful time.
Perhaps it's a personal thing, but I'd turn the radio off, or tell everyone else to STFU so I can concentrate on the job at hand. Y'all can save the welcome feelings for later.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:14 pm
co-joe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:34 pm
Why is that important?
Perhaps it's a personal thing, but I'd turn the radio off, or tell everyone else to STFU so I can concentrate on the job at hand. Y'all can save the welcome feelings for later.
How does the giant ATC sky hook come and save you then?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I have a buddy who was out with a student in the 1990s when the club plane they were flying suffered a broken crank shaft. Glided to a field and landed. Walked to a house and borrowed the phone. Guy got his moneys worth out of that forced approach lesson.
photofly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:56 am the rapidity with which a distant ATC unit was notified and the complexity of the communication path are to me less interesting than, say, the accuracy of the position fix with which ATC was provided, or other features that in the event of a less satisfactory outcome would have made a bigger difference.
Agreed. Transponder 7500, squawk ident. I’m guessing they would be annoyed but I’m fine with that.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Beefitarian wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:27 pm I have a buddy who was out with a student in the 1990s when the club plane they were flying suffered a broken crank shaft. Glided to a field and landed. Walked to a house and borrowed the phone. Guy got his moneys worth out of that forced approach lesson.
photofly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:56 am the rapidity with which a distant ATC unit was notified and the complexity of the communication path are to me less interesting than, say, the accuracy of the position fix with which ATC was provided, or other features that in the event of a less satisfactory outcome would have made a bigger difference.
Agreed. Transponder 7500, squawk ident. I’m guessing they would be annoyed but I’m fine with that.
I think you meant 7700 Beef.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Oops, you’re probably right.

Did they change them around? I thought 7700 was looking for armed intervention.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

7500 for Unlawful Interference/Hijacking. 7600 for Communication Failure. 7700 for a more "general" Emergency.

ATC is going to reach out to confirm the situation regardless of the code squawked, so if you've used the wrong code they'll get it sorted out.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”